Cloth Diapering
Options

Question about Flip diapers

I got a variety of diapers to try when LO gets here. I was interested in the flip system and purchased a pack of 2 covers with 6 stay dry inserts. After purchasing I'm wondering two things-

1- At what weight can you typically start using these?

2- Can you really reuse the cover? The reason I ask is I am using a lot of prefolds and from what I can tell you can't just use the trifold in a cover with newborns or you'll get the newborn poop on the cover. Essentially, the flip system looks like a trifold in a cover- so does newborn poop get all over the cover this way. Do you use a regular prefold with snappi under the Flip cover when they are younger?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about Flip diapers

• Options

I think I started using Flip covers around 12 lbs. I would have tried earlier, but I had a few size small Thirsties I was using.

You can reuse the cover, but you are correct in your thinking that it's easier to do this with a PF/snappi with younger babies. EBF/EFF poo is really runny. DD is nearly 7 months old and it's only been in the last couple of weeks that she (sometimes) doesn't get poo on the cover. I generally alternate between 2-3 covers (not all Flips because I only have 2) per day with the assumption that one will get poo on it.

• Options

We have a couple of Flip diapers. DS was about 10 pounds when they started to fit him well. He is still exclusively breastfed, and so his poop is pretty runny. The Flips (with a pad-folded flat diaper) are great until he has a bowel movement, and then most of the time the cover has to be thrown in the diaper pail. Despite the lack of double leg gussets the poop rarely gets past the Flip cover. He's past the point of having 10 bowel movements a day, but I would agree that the Flips didn't seem practical for the newborn stage.

My mom, who watches DS during the day, has put him in a flat diaper and used the Flip cover and that has worked just fine. I prefer the Thirsties covers over the Flips, however.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much! Once I got to thinking about it, I really started wondering how you reuse the cover, but I guess I can just use them with prefolds in the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"