Infertility
Options

Need advice- Fellow South Jerseyans

Hello all, 

DH and I have been trying to conceive for three years.  M/c in March 09 due to large fibroid in uterus.  Removed via open myomectomy.  I was put on Lupron for 6 mos and then tried conceiving again.  No luck.  Sent to SJ Fertility in Nov 2011.  Had a second surgery (hysteroscopy) to remove second large fibroid. Placed on Clomid & Ovidrel for 3 rounds & got pregnant 3rd round.  Pregnancy ended up being tubal & given methotrexate to dissolve pregnancy.  No trying for 3 mos.  Tried Clomid & Ovidrel again for 3 rounds. No luck.  Now on follstim (starting at 75 units now 125). Today had ultrasound & Dr. Unable to see rt ovary due to fibroid blocking it, so unable to determine if follicles growing on rt side since nothing happening on the lft.  Dr. stated possibility of laparoscopic surgery to remove fibroid.  :( 

I'm getting tired & I'm emotionally drained.  I've been thinking about getting a second opinion.  Part of me feels that SJ Fert is not aggressive enough. Any SJers out there that have worked with SJ Fert & have an opinion?  Any suggestions for doctors to go to for a second opinion? 

"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me."~Maya Angelou BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need advice- Fellow South Jerseyans

• Options

I also have been going to SJ Fert. We are unexplained but we have done 5 IUI's (3 on pills, 2 on injections). Had my 6th IUI cycle not been cancelled due to cysts on my ovaries, they would have done another IUI stating that insurance won't cover IVF until you've had 3 IUI's. Oh and by the way (so SJ says), the ones you did on pills don't count as far as insurance is concerned.

So once my 6th cycle was cancelled I asked them to try and see if the insurance company would cover IVF without the sixth and we had no problem getting the approval.

My point to this is yes, I do agree with you that sometimes I don't think they are aggressive enough. I also do try to look at the flip side of things, and in my case at least, I realize they want to minimize the procedures and medications they are putting your body through and hope a less aggressive approach will help.

As a patient and woman trying to conceive, I say, do what you think will work best and quickest....but I'm not a doctor. I understand some of the decisions they made, but also feel that as the patient, sometimes you have to speak up to them and push them to move on even if they're not suggesting it. I have found that when I do that with SJ, they don't bat an eyelash and usually go with my request. Every situation is obviously different, but that has been my experience.

Hope it helps and lots of luck and baby dust to you!!!

Anniversary
    Tried to conceive on our own for a year before moving on to fertility treatments. Dx unexplained. About 10 months of procedures, shots, and countless doctor appointments, we got our BFP! BFN on 5 IUI's
    IVF#1 - ER 09/14/12, ET 09/17/12: two 8 cells, BFP: 9/28 Beta#1 56.8; 10/2 Beta#2 284; 10/5 Beta#3 939; 10/9 Beta #4 4967. One baby on board with EDD 06/07/13!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The ones on pills don't count?
    Hmmmm....our insurance counted our three UNMEDICATED IUIs and paid for those.... So, I'm assuming they "counted."

I don't go to the SJ fertility place that you guys are talking about...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah I think it depends on your insurance and what kind of policies they have in place for coverage. Although after how easy it was to get approval, I really wonder if we could have moved on sooner.....
    Anniversary
    Tried to conceive on our own for a year before moving on to fertility treatments. Dx unexplained. About 10 months of procedures, shots, and countless doctor appointments, we got our BFP! BFN on 5 IUI's
    IVF#1 - ER 09/14/12, ET 09/17/12: two 8 cells, BFP: 9/28 Beta#1 56.8; 10/2 Beta#2 284; 10/5 Beta#3 939; 10/9 Beta #4 4967. One baby on board with EDD 06/07/13!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

**ticker**

How far deep south jersey are you? If you are close to the bridges, you aren't too too far from M.ain L.ine F.ertility and they are AWESOME. I also have known people that go to U.Penn fertility and have had success. Good luck. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    not sure how far south you are, but I use RMA of NJ, which mostly has north/central offices, but I know they have one in eatontown. They are so awesome!
    Me: 29 DH: 30 TTC # 1 since 2008, in denial of needing an RE until 2012 DX with severe MFI, straight to IVF IVF #1 August 2012- stims 8/18, ER 8/28- 18R, 11M, 10F. 9/3 ET cancelled due to chronic OHSS. 6 awesome embies on ice! 9/27 FET Beta #1: 427-BFP!!! Beta #2: 856 First u/s 10/15: two sacs!! Ahh, twins!! imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebry238:
    not sure how far south you are, but I use RMA of NJ, which mostly has north/central offices, but I know they have one in eatontown. They are so awesome!

Ticker warning

I use (used?) RMA too!

04/07/11- PCOS Diagnosis w/GYN. Put on Metformin (1500 mgs)
    04/25/11- 1st consultation with RE (Confirmed PCOS & Anovulation)
    05/09/11-HSG-All clear! 05/13/11-SA-Normal. Found out on 2/14/12, low Morph (1%).
    06/17/11-10 days of Clomid (100, 150) No response.
    07/10/11-03/20/12- 5 Injectable (Follistim) IUI cycles; 4 BFN, 1 C/P. (stims ranged from 11 days to 25 days)
    05/28/12-Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. 75 mcg Synthroid.

IVF with ICSI in June/July 2013 = BFP!. Beta # 1 = 123. Beta # 2 = 252. Due March 25th. Baby boy arrived March 27, 2013!

FET #1 - 10/4/14 = BFP!! Beta #1 = 179. Beta # 2 = 499. Due June 22nd.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I see Delaware Valley Institute of Fertility and Genetics in Marlton.  I don't have much experience since I've only done 1 IUI but they are a good place.  I've had all good experiences there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagepinstripechik:

Hello all, 

DH and I have been trying to conceive for three years.  M/c in March 09 due to large fibroid in uterus.  Removed via open myomectomy.  I was put on Lupron for 6 mos and then tried conceiving again.  No luck.  Sent to SJ Fertility in Nov 2011.  Had a second surgery (hysteroscopy) to remove second large fibroid. Placed on Clomid & Ovidrel for 3 rounds & got pregnant 3rd round.  Pregnancy ended up being tubal & given methotrexate to dissolve pregnancy.  No trying for 3 mos.  Tried Clomid & Ovidrel again for 3 rounds. No luck.  Now on follstim (starting at 75 units now 125). Today had ultrasound & Dr. Unable to see rt ovary due to fibroid blocking it, so unable to determine if follicles growing on rt side since nothing happening on the lft.  Dr. stated possibility of laparoscopic surgery to remove fibroid.  :( 

I'm getting tired & I'm emotionally drained.  I've been thinking about getting a second opinion.  Part of me feels that SJ Fert is not aggressive enough. Any SJers out there that have worked with SJ Fert & have an opinion?  Any suggestions for doctors to go to for a second opinion? 

I'm so sorry youre going through this 1st off and 2nd I wanted to tell you that I'm in my first cycle and a patient of SJ Fert as well!

Sorry, I dont have any advice but please keep in touch Coffee

Me 27 DH 33 dx MFI
    1st cycle of IVF w/ ICSI = started bcp's 8/2/12, lupron 8/22/12, stims 9/7/12,ER 9.20.12 ET 9/23/12 3dt 1 6A and 1 4B; Positive HPT 10/2/12, BFP Beta 10/3/12: 38!, 2nd Beta 10/5/12 28 :( worst phone call ever. 3rd beta 10/9/10 2.9...
    IVF #2 w/ ICSI = bcp 3/1, ER/ET planned for the week of 4/8
  • Options

Had a consult with doc today & via bloodworm they were able to see a LH surge so Ovidrel tonight & IUI tomorrow AM.  I'm praying this is the one.  I decided to complete this cycle, but if no luck then I'll get the second opinion.  I have two offices in mind.  Cooper IVF and Dr. Louis Manara.   I have a friend that went with Cooper just for endo treatment & she has a beautiful 3 year old son & a goregous 3 month old daughter.  A friend of a friend suggested Manara.  She just had twins after working with him about a year.

When I talked with the doctor today, I expressed my desire not to undergo another surgery.  If its absolutely necessary, then yes I'll do it, but otherwise, I'm not game.  This process is really wearing on me, mentally & physically, especially working for DYFS and seeing what I see daily.

"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me."~Maya Angelou BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

**lurking in...

I see Dr Manara and have since April of this year. He (and his whole staff) is awesome! He doesn't waste time, but is cautious enough that he doesn't get you into trouble. When I didn't respond to Clomid, we moved right along ( I have PCOS so there was no chance of ovulating on my own), no waiting for or bringing on a period first. But whatever doctor you choose, the best thing you can do is educate yourself and ask questions. Good luck to you! 

...lurking out** 

ttc since 4/2010
    dx pcos 4/2012
    clomid 100mg (5 days) | no response
    clomid 150mg (7 days) | no response
    follistim (27 days) + ovidrel + IUI#1 (6/8) | BFN (6/22)
    follistim (16 days) + ovidrel + IUI#2 (7/13) | BFN (7/27)
    follistim (16 days) + ovidrel + IUI#3 (8/17) | BFP (8/30)
    beta#1 37 (8/30) beta#2 106 (9/4) beta#3 227 (9/6)
    beta#4 1007 (9/10) beta#5 1907 (9/12)
    1st ultrasound, beta#6 3600 | ectopic | methotrexate (9/14)
    beta#7 6900 | methotrexate again (9/21)
    beta#8 8700 | emergency lap (9/28)

..IVF in december..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"