Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Convertible car seat vs. Infant car seat

For those of you that are buying convertible car seats what are you doing to carry your infant around? With my last LO we had an infant car seat, which was great because while she was sleeping we just left her in her car seat and took her out to restaurants, family homes, among other places without having to remove her or wake her from her sleep. Another thing we did not have to carry her while we were out.

Those of you who are buying convertible car seats what are you doing in these types of situations?

Re: Convertible car seat vs. Infant car seat

• Options
    We either use the stroller or Ergo.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I had wanted a convertible car seat because I want to baby wear most of the time. DH wanted the infant car seat/stroller combination for when he took the baby out so we compromised. I got nice slings and ergo, and he got the travel system.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Car seats are for in the car, they aren't made to put your baby in a great position...we took DD out of the car in her car seat maybe 4 or 5 times. Otherwise we put her in the carrier or once or twice in the stroller.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

I didn't buy an infant seat with DS. I wore him in the moby whenever we went out, and it was fine. If he was asleep in his carseat, it wasn't a big deal to wake him for a moment to put him in the moby, he would just fall right back to sleep. I also think strangers are less likely to try to touch your newborn when you're wearing him, than when he is in a seat or stroller. 

We will be buying an infant seat this time around, but I don't intend to lug that thing around. I'm going to still wear the baby most of the time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Like some of the pps, I had an infant seat, but didn't use it as a carrier.  DH and I would wear DD in a carrier while we were out.  For us it was so much easier than lugging a giant car seat around.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options
    If we opt not to use our infant seat (we're on the fence about it) then we'll just use a sling or carrier. My kids both hated the infant carrier and the rare times they fell asleep in the car (instead of just screaming nonstop the entire ride) they woke up the second the engine turned off, so we never once got the "let the baby stay asleep and just move the seat" thing that everyone loves about them.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use the stroller or Moby, or we just carry DS. We haven't tried eating out since he was born, but we've gone grocery shopping and taken him to my stepson's water polo matches. He wakes up briefly while being transferred, but falls back asleep very quickly. I don't regret not getting an infant car seat.
  • Options

Carried them, wore or stroller. I prefer the convertible to the infant seat. 

• Options

i plan to get the infant seat as DH wants a travel system.. so getting the Britax B safe and B agile travel system..

i plan to baby wear anyways.. but for the times LO is asleep in the car, the infant seat works best!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"