VBAC
Options

Good first c-section, thinking about VBAC

So I had a c-section for my first child and it was a really great experience.  I had an amazing recovery (only had to take like 2-4 advil for pain the first day and nothing after that). However my son swallowed a little fluid and had to be suctioned, but was pretty much fine after that.  Now I am pregnant again and I am trying to decide whether to try a VBAC or not.  I am afraid that it won't be as good as the c-section was.  Then again, maybe the second c-section won't go as well this time if I choose that.  Any advice from people that have tried a VBAC? 
Getting ready to be a mama of 2 little munchkins BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Good first c-section, thinking about VBAC

• Options

Are you planning on having more kids in the future? If so I would try for the VBAC bc your risk of uterine rupture increases with each CS (including if you choose a 3rd RCS).  

• Options

This decision is yours alone-

I can tell you that I chose a VBAC because I didn't want to have unnecessary major surgery.  There are always risks (short and long term) and I just didn't feel like putting myself through that if I didn't have to.  I had a fairly easy c/s also.  My VBAC recovery was even easier for me.

I agree with pp that if you plan to have more children, to strongly consider the VBAC. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:

This decision is yours alone-

I can tell you that I chose a VBAC because I didn't want to have unnecessary major surgery.  There are always risks (short and long term) and I just didn't feel like putting myself through that if I didn't have to.  I had a fairly easy c/s also.  My VBAC recovery was even easier for me.

I agree with pp that if you plan to have more children, to strongly consider the VBAC. 

All of this, altho I had a pretty horrible cesarean recovery so we differ there. I will say my vbac recovery is a cakewalk compared to it - I feel like myself at 10 days pp. So your vbac recovery may be as good if better than your cesarean.

Finally, there's lots of evidence it's better for baby to be born vaginally (vs elective cesarean). Make sure you look into that. Good luck!

• Options

I had a good c-section, and I had similar fears about having my second. I was fine with having another c-section, and a I scheduled a repeat c-section for 39 weeks. I did worry about the recovery and weight lifting restrictions because this time I had a toddler to take care of.

I decided that if things happened on their own before my scheduled c-section that I would give a vbac a try. I ended up going into labor at 38 weeks and having a vbac.

I think rcs and vbacs both have their own pros and cons. 

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Options

I had a good first c-section (she was breech) but the recovery from my VBAC was AMAZING. I had no idea how good I could feel so much faster. Having a toddler that likes to sit on my lap influenced my decision (plus the desire for more children).

GL!

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"