VBAC

Castor Oil question...

So I went to the store to buy some castor oil....not sure if I would actually take it or not.

I have literally until tomorrow before they schedule a RCS this coming week.

However, I was reading online about the use of castor oil and it being riskier if you have had a c-section or uterine surgery.

Any thoughts on this?  I am not going to take the castor oil now since I am paranoid....but just wondering what others thought about this....

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
My IF blog
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Castor Oil question...

• ~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

• I would talk with your provider. Each provider seems to have their own list of does and don'ts.  My midwife had me take castor oil, but she didn't want me taking EPO.  She had me take it at least 24 hours before I went in for my induction. I mixed it with a yogurt smoothie and it was really easy to get down. 

While it cleaned me out nicely, it did nothing to bring on labor.  I have to say, it was nice going into my induction knowing that I didn't have to worry about pooping during delivery.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd talk to your provider about it first and see what they say. I would probably do it if I was showing signs of being close to labor?

Will they do any sort of induction before RCS? How long do you have?

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• My friend who is an OB says it's a crock. She suggests sex.

• imagenosoup4u:

I'd talk to your provider about it first and see what they say. I would probably do it if I was showing signs of being close to labor?

Will they do any sort of induction before RCS? How long do you have?

no, they won't induce me at all :-(

I have until tomorrow and they are scheduling a section.  I can hopefully ask for it to be Friday....but it will def be this week.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

• Ugh, that sucks. Can you offer to do NSTs every few days to make sure the baby's okay, and then push back the RCS date later? Going until 41 weeks isn't a huge risk for a VBAC.

If it came down to it, I think I'd probably do it a day or two before the RCS. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:

Ugh, that sucks. Can you offer to do NSTs every few days to make sure the baby's okay, and then push back the RCS date later? Going until 41 weeks isn't a huge risk for a VBAC.

If it came down to it, I think I'd probably do it a day or two before the RCS. Good luck!

This is what I would do as well, if possible.  I haven't used castor oil before, but I did take EPO orally and drink RRLT daily form 36-37 weeks until labor started. If you can ask to hold off on the RCS a bit longer, that might be your best bet.  Hopefully your provider will give you an extra few days... Even until next Monday could be enough time.  HTH and GL!   

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I wouldn't do castor oil but I'm doing EPO and RRLT (like pp).

I would also go to an acupuncturist for induction in a heartbeat. Much safer than medical induction, and quite effective.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did it with my VBAC 2 years ago and it did absolutely nothing but make me gag from trying to drink it with juice and go to the bathroom every few minutes lol. I had a MW that allowed me to go to 42 weeks with a NST ever other day from 41 weeks on. She came at 41 weeks 6 days so I'm glad they allowed me to go to 42 weeks. I'm hoping with this baby, these new MWs will allow me to do the same if needs be. GL mama, I would try walking, accupuncture, massage, nipple stimulation etc before the castor oil because it doesn't seem to have a good track record. Will they do a membrane sweep for you?

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"