March 2012 Moms

Avocado

I have only really had it in sushi, so I have no idea how it tastes on its own.  Just made some puree for DD and tasted it, and it is not very tasty.  It was pretty bitter and I assuming that is not how it should taste, since so many people I know love it.  So I am thinking that the avocados I used were not ripe enough, but don't know for sure.  What is it supposed to taste like and should I even bother giving it to her if it is so gross?  DH tasted it too and did not like the taste.  What should I be looking for when I buy them, and should you be able to scoop out the flesh easily with a spoon?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Avocado

• Yes, you should be able to scoop it out easily. When you shop look for avocados that have a little give to them. It should have a nutty smooth taste to it, not bitter. My guess is you had an avocado that needed to sit for a day or two.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I figured so much.  I remember seeing a co-worker just scooping it out and putting it on a cracker, so I guessed that my avocado wasn't ready to eat.  Oh well, I threw out the puree that I made and will just try again in a couple days with the other one I bought.  Hate to waste it, but it was pretty nasty.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with pp, but wanted to add that there's no reason you can't season baby food. I used to add dried mint, rosemary, oregano, nutmeg to various things. It's a great opportunity to start them out with a broad palette.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekmhunt11:
    I agree with pp, but wanted to add that there's no reason you can't season baby food. I used to add dried mint, rosemary, oregano, nutmeg to various things. It's a great opportunity to start them out with a broad palette.

We definately went this route and made DD a little guacamole smoothie (hints of salt, lime, and garlic powder).  She absolutely loved it.  I also saw on another site to try a "banana-cado" mush that makes the avacado taste more like pistachio :).  Warning on the banana-cado though, don't do too many consecutive meals as it makes baby go to the bathroom a lot.  Happy blending!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the great tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"