3rd Trimester

would you drive 2.5 hours away at 35 weeks pregnant?

It would be for a totally selfish, girls' last weekend hurrah too ... not even for any "good" reason, like a family member's wedding or a funeral or whatever.

[Poll]
G: 08-02-06 ~ D: 02-21-09 ~ Z: 04-16-11

Re: would you drive 2.5 hours away at 35 weeks pregnant?

• are you driving in Alaska?  Will there be hospitals in this area?  GO!  People get too worked up about driving a few hours away while pg.  I did it last time and I'm sure I will do it again this time. 
  • I said no and I stand by that just because of the level of discomfort. When we drive the 1 hour to MILs I can't stand it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Where I live is at least an hour away from any decent shopping so ya lol.

35 weeks isn't that close yet, if you've been having cramping or painful contractions you should probably at least ask your Dr, but if all seems normal then go ahead.

We went for a drive just for something to do about an hour away from home and back just last week lol, I didn't even think about it.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going away when I'm about that far along to chaperone a 4-H event. I will be nearly 2 hrs away from my doctor. I'm not too worried about it, and if anything happens, there are other hospitals.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would. Just be sure to stop and get out to walk around every 45 mins to an hour to lessen the risk of developing blood clots.
    Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
    TTC our rainbow since April '14

• When I go pick up my brother to come and visit with us for a month or so to help out after baby comes its a 2.5 hours drive and I'll be a little over 37 weeks when we make that trip so I say go for it. He's coming up to help out with my two toddlers and the baby, I have to have my gall bladder removed and I'm doing a tubal so really need the extra hands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.Saxy:
    I said no and I stand by that just because of the level of discomfort. When we drive the 1 hour to MILs I can't stand it.

This for me, too.  My parent's live about 2.5 hours away and I went to visit them a couple of weeks ago.  The drive was miserable uncomfortable.  I didn't even want to come home because I dreaded the drive back!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I'm 34 weeks I'll be traveling 12 hours by car (not allowed to fly) to Mississippi for a college friend reunion/baby shower.  Then when I'm 36 weeks I'll be traveling 3 hours to Michigan for a family shower.  I say go!  I'm planning to make tons of stops, but I feel the need to just get away and have a good time before baby gets here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, but I am not uncomfortable in the car at all.
    Photobucket
  • My only concern would be my own personal comfort since I found it difficult to sit still that long. So if you're fine with that then go.
  • We have a wedding to go to at the end of May that is a 4 hour drive away, I will be 36 weeks. So I totally vote yes! Especially if you haven't had any complications!

• Well, I'm 35 weeks right now and we drove 2 hours away from home for my family baby shower this weekend. If I was having complications maybe not, but I wasn't really concerned.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• imageEJensify:
    Yes, but I am not uncomfortable in the car at all.

This.  DH and I are driving 4 hours to our hometown in two weeks (at 36 weeks pregnant) for our baby shower, and I'm hoping that I'll still be comfortable in the car at that point.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I said yep.  Because all of mine and DH's family lives 2 hours away.  And next weekend I will be driving up 2 hours alone with DS to see some realatives I havent seen in over a year (they live in Maryland and were moving to Texas but I guess that changed) because they will be in town visiting my grandmother.

I also have to go through all the baby stuff from DS that I have in storage at my mother's house.  Which I'm sure I won't finish this weekend and I'll have to make another trip up before this pregnancy is over.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did 3.5 at 37 weeks in a Civic Hybrid.  I'm about to do 7 hours alone with a toddler.  Go for it.  Girls' indulgent weekend sounds like a very good reason.

P.S. option 3... very funny.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I drove about an hour away each week for my last two MW appointments (at 39.5 and 40.5 weeks). That said, I can totally appreciate that if you're uncomfortable, this would be a big deal.

What's funny is that at 40+ weeks, I'm catering my life less to being pregnant than I was at 37 weeks. Now I'm just living my life until LO joins us on the outside.

• I did it at 41 weeks with DS. i was over due and over it and my mom was going camping for a few days so i decided to go with her to pass the time. We go there on the morning and spent the day walking round the lake having a picnic and relaxing. I woke up at 1 am and my waters broke so i woke my mum and we drove back home and booked into my local hospital in plenty of time. So moral of my story is go have some fun cos even if labour starts you should have more than enough time needed to get back home without a panic

BabyFruit Ticker

• If you're comfortable being in the car then YES!! Stop frequently as needed. Bring something for lumbar support for your back, and have a great time! I went to my grandmother's 80th birthday party about 2.5 hours away at just over 37 weeks. I stayed the night, then we headed back. You'll be fine!
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Yes! And I can't wait. DH and I are heading to the beach for the night (I hope it is finally warm here in MD by the end of April) during my spring break. He knows I will need quite a few breaks and is okay with it since we have made the drive to NJ to visit his family several times since I got prego.
  • My husband and I are going to my last bridesmaid's wedding when I am 30 weeks which is 2.5 hours away on Long island but I don't know if I'd do it at 35
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • SOOOOOO glad u posted about this! DH and i are going on Vacation this weekend. Ill be 36 weeks. We are leaving thursday and coming home Sunday, and the drive is about 2.5 hours long. We plan to stop every hour or so, so I can walk around a little, but since there are no complications so far we are going for it! There are hospitals there anyways, and i cant wait to get out with DS and DH before LO gets here. Go for it!
  • DH and I are driving to his great grandfather's 95th birthday 2 hours away when I'll be 37 weeks! Yikes, but they have a hospital near by. I'm mostly worried at my mood since I'll be a huge sweaty blimp smack in the middle of Florida summer!

• my ride home from work has been over 2 hrs (bad traffic) and I worked until 40 wks...  It's not comfortable sitting in a car, but I say go if you want.
  • My second shower, with my side of the fam is about a 5.5hr drive, and I'll be 35wks. I'll just be sure we take the route with the most rest stops!

Eli Augusten // 06-01-11
    Juniper Serra // 01-03-11
  • I have a meeting 6 hours away when I am 35 weeks.  I am nervous because it is IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!  Like country road x, y, and z...but my midwife said it would be fine.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think as long as you are feeling ok, do it! I just got back from a 3 hour drive, and it was hard but do-able. I am only 32 weeks, but I can't imagine it being to must worst in 3 weeks. Just bring a lot of water and have fun! 
    Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"