Pregnant after 35
Options

Need excuses for not drinking...

I have an overnight retreat coming up for work. I won't be past 12 weeks by then, and I really don't want to tell any coworkers before then. Since we're staying overnight, I can't use driving as an excuse. Also, everyone brings bottles of wine/beer to share, so I can't order a non-alcoholic drink to fake them out. Ideas? Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Need excuses for not drinking...

• Options
    You're on antibiotics. 
    ~ Single Mother by Choice ~ IUI with donor sperm - BFP on 2nd attempt! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can have a glass of wine and then pretend it didn't sit well with you, if you're not comfortable drinking it. Antobiotics is a good tip too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Getting over a stomach bug. Or bring some near beer or not-really-alcoholic wine coolers and pour into a cup as a prop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This time around I'm going with my sinuses; drinking gives me a headache. :)
    BFP 8/12/12 m/c 8/19/12 BFP 12/1/12 EDD 8/11/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Get a dark colored empty beer bottle from the recycling bin and fill it with water. Or bring a 6 pack to share and pour yours down the drain in the bathroom and fill with water. Nurse it all night long.

I hate the "antibiotics" excuse. Anyone who knows anything about medicine is going to see right through that one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lol... I'm sorry I wouldn't lie. Aren't we all a little too old for that? I go with, no thanks I don't feel like having a drink.
    I mean, this isn't high school you don't have to fit in with the "cool" kids.
    You don't want your coworkers resenting you for being a liar once they do know. Or thinking later she lied so easily that last time, I wonder what else she lies about.
    Stick to No Thanks and leave it at that.
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Can't you just say you're not up for drinking?
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I tell people this all the time. ACCEPT THE DRINK. People will hardly ever notice if you don't actually drink it, but they WILL notice if you decline. Just hold a drink. Or, take a beer in a dark bottle, rinse it out in the bathroom, and fill with water. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would totally do the dark beer bottle with water thing. Especially if you are the type of person who is usually drinking socially. I am, and I nearly punched my MIL two weeks ago when we were at DH's family reunion. Our backs were to each other, so she didn't know I was there, but she was rambling about how one of their cousins KNEW I was pregnant with my first because I said I was designated driver one night when there was a big family get together. Right after that comment, I went over to my husband, made him finish the beer he had, and filled up his bottle with water. Much easier than having the rumour mill start before I was ready. Unfortuately, she's coming to visit next weekend and I have a feeling we're going to have to tell for real. For the record, I really, really, really, do not care for my MIL very much.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! I work in a medical field, and the antibiotic excuse will turn into 20 questions. LOL This is a group of executives, and everyone drinks at these retreats. It will raise eyebrows if I won't even have 1 drink, so I'll probably try the dark beer bottle filled with water :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Watching your diet/watching your calories.

I'm so glad that everyone in my social milieu just takes "No thanks" as a legitimate answer. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just say no. I guess for me it was easier because I didn't social drink. No one thought anything of me not having one. But, we're all adults. you don't need an excuse to not drink.
  • Options
    maybe not timely - can you say you already had one at home? { a drink of something, that is!}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"