Health & Exercise

running cramps

Hello! My husband and I used to run a couple times a week before I got PG. We would go around 2-2.5 miles. I got sick for 2 weeks and then found out I was PG, I am now almost 10 weeks PG and have only ran a few times since finding out. Now when I run I get severe cramps all through my stomache, from my pelvis to my chest.. I know that the Dr.s say that you can continue working out at your previous intensity, and when I went to the Dr she said running was fine. Is anyone else experiencing really bad cramps when they run that they didnt use to? I want to stay in shape but the cramps make me nervous to run now.. Any thoughts? Oh, and now I am going on super slow runs and only going 1 mile. TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: running cramps

• Are you being careful to stay hydrated before (and possibly during if the weather dictates it) your running workouts? I never experienced anything like that and I was running somewhat steadily (2-3x weekly) until I was about 18 weeks or so. That was when the super HOT weather (90's) slammed us here and I haven't run since.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yea, I drink about 15 glasses of water a day and I run with a camel back.. Im just not really sure what the cramps are coming from.. :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You are probably low in calcium, which is easy to fix. Swap out your water for milk, better yet, chocolate milk, at least one more glass than your current intake. If that's not quite enough, take tums. 

• I don't know what could be causing the cramps, just be careful!

I hope to run until I go into labor (wishful thinking, perhaps), the doctor said it was okay! Just watch your intensity - don't let you heart rate skyrocket. And, be careful in the heat. If it's too warm out, I just opt for the treadmill. Play it safe!

Before I found out I was pregnant, I was starting out on a 20-mile training run. I felt so dizzy and sick by mile 5 I called it quits. A couple days later when I tested positive, I was glad I did! 

Listen to you body and do what you can :) I'm going running today but am finding it hard to get up the energy (and keep the nausea at bay).

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Psalm 127:3 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
  • I was (am?) a pretty regular runner when I got pregnant and from week 6-12 I kept getting these cramps that made me super nervous too. (Like I don't have enough to be nervous about, right!?)

So I took it easy and slowly built back up and they all of a sudden stopped so I'm not sure if my eating habits changed or what, but it could just be our body's changing and adjusting.

I ran consistently until about 4 weeks ago and now I'm a super slacker! :) I miss working up a good sweat. Enjoy it!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ran in my first pregnancy until 3 days before delivery.  I stuck with it, but it felt very different through the different stages of pregnancy.  One thing that was constant though, was cramps.  I do not normally get cramps when running, but i definitely did while pregnant.  Slow up a bit and lower your intensity.  If you cramp take it easy stop for a bit and take slow breaths.  If the cramp continues, then keep going.  If not, then walk on back home.  I learned that you have to just listen to your body and not push through it like you would if you weren't pregnant. Enjoy.  It helped me feel great during my pregnancy.  I hope that will be the case with #2 as well!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"