January 2011 Moms

Scary experience with DD

I have been busy wrapping up at work so I don't get to post here anymore. I do plan on coming back once I am unemployed. Anyways I wanted to post about a scary experience we had with DD yesterday, so here it goes.

DH and I were having lunch yesterday when we got a call from her DC that she had a temperature of 102. I had thought she felt warm the night before and we gave her some tylenol and repeated as a follow up in the morning. Anyway, when I picked her up, I asked her DCP if she had any idea what was wrong with her, in terms of if any of the other kids were sick or anything...and she said no. They had already isolated her and someone was sitting in another room with her. Anyways, we went to see the Pedi (her main Pedi wasn't there) and she said that she thought she had an ear infection and Coxsaki, bc she was drooling like crazy. After that, we went to Target to pick up her Antibiotics and Motrin, and gave her some right there at Target. When I was putting her into her carseat, her eyes starting rolling around and she started convulsing. I started screaming and handed her over to DH. This older couple was walking by and the woman brought over water while the man called 911. During her convulsions, another woman took her pulse and said she was having a seizure, but it was going bad bc she started turning blue, and had stopped breathing. DH gave her CPR and then she started crying (relief), and stopped convulsing. The ambulance arrived and took us to the ER where they determined that she had an ear infection which spiked her fever and caused the seizure. They said it was important that you always give tylenol every 4 hours during the first day of a fever to keep it down. We were released late last night after her temperature was in an acceptable range. Her fever is still not gone, she is still fussy and drooling like crazy, but I am hoping that she's getting better. We will probably go to the ER tomorrow.

Anyways, both DH and I cannot get the image of her convulsing and turning blue in front of us. It's by far, the scariest thing we have ever been through... we really thought she was dying. We really learned that you have to keep the fever down because it can all of a sudden spike and cause a seizure to any toddler aged child. She has had a fever of 104 before and was fine. We are both so thankful that people were so helpful to us in the parking lot.

Sooo I just wanted to get it out, I guess to let everyone know to take fevers seriously. I always read to wait until it's like 103 to go to the Dr or ER....Never again!!

Re: Scary experience with DD

• Omg. Im so glad your DD is ok! How terrible. I know you must have been so scared even imagine. But thanks for sharing your story. I always hear the same thing about fevers. I hope your DD gets better soon. Poor baby. Must have been scary for her too.  

• Omg. Hugs to you. That must have been horrible. I'm so relieved that she is okay now. And I hope she is able to have a speedy recovery from her ear infection and fever. How scary.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That is really terrible. I'm so sorry she (and you) had to go through that.

This past winter, our very close friends' 18 month old had a febral seizure and DH took him ('cause he's an EMT) even though there wasn't much that could be done. I had never heard of them before. It was a horrible scary thing to witness and since then I've been insane about DD getting a fever. If I think she has a fever, I keep her as cool as possible. It's lucky that it happened before you were driving so that you could at least hold her.

I hope she feels better soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I was just crying reading your story. I can't imagine going through that. Glad she is ok now. Hope your week gets better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very scary! I'm glad she's ok! I know some people are afraid to over medicate, but we always alternate btwn Tylenol and Motrin when Ade has a temp.
  • OMG!  That sounds sooo freaking scary!  T&P that she feels better and that doesn't happen again.

• That is so scary, I can not even imagine.  Hope she is feeling better today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That sounds so scary.  Hope your LO is feeling better today. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, that is some story! I have heard of this happening often but would have NO idea what to do in that situation. Thank goodness both you and DH were there and the people in the parking lot were so helpful.

Speedy recovery! 

• OMG SO SCARY! So glad that she's ok now - things like this TERRIFY ME.
  • Any update? How is she doing now?

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"