Pregnant after 35
Options

What do you mean I'm at an "Advanced Maternal Age"?

I am 36 and will be 37 in December. Though i knew the implications of being over 35, I was in shock when I was told I am at "advanced maternal age." Oh well, if it means that I will get better care for my little tadpole (5 weeks), then so be it - label me Grandma Moses.

Re: What do you mean I'm at an "Advanced Maternal Age"?

• Options
    From one Grandma to another, welcome and congratulations!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    I actually AM the age my Grandma was when I was born(41)! And, MH has 2 adult children from his previous marriage & 4 grandkids, the ages of our oldest 4 kids! But what's crazy, is I don't feel old - I feel like it's strange that people think I am tho'.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well this AMA is not only expecting her 6th child... She just got married! I don't feel old at all! My others are 14, 13, 10, 7,  and 4. I don't have time to get old Wink
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ha, you are an ama young'n.  Keep in mind this AMA thing was established many years ago when few ladies had babies beyond their early 30s.  I was 38 when DS#1 was born and am 41 right now with DS#2.  My doc told me that AMA really means nothing for a healthy mom with no history of pg problems or difficulty TTC.  Even me being 41, having a loss last year and having some scarey bleeding issues in 2nd tri is not considered high risk in his mind and I have received excellent care every step along the way.  Don't let the AMA tag freak you out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagebenoitfan:
    Ha, you are an ama young'n.  Keep in mind this AMA thing was established many years ago when few ladies had babies beyond their early 30s.  I was 38 when DS#1 was born and am 41 right now with DS#2.  My doc told me that AMA really means nothing for a healthy mom with no history of pg problems or difficulty TTC.  Even me being 41, having a loss last year and having some scarey bleeding issues in 2nd tri is not considered high risk in his mind and I have received excellent care every step along the way.  Don't let the AMA tag freak you out.

Well said. The MFM doc told me that I was in a good place to have another baby if I want to - he thought my history of fairly uncomplicated pregnancies (even with preg #5 ending in mc) made it a reasonable consideration if we're wanting more. 

8 month cutie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At least they didn't use the term "geriatric pregnancy" - my BFF's OB used that to describe her when she had her first at age 36. Congrats on your pregnancy, btw!

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It is a little sick to be calling someone 36 old isn't it. This comes from a statistical reasoning. It 35 the risk of having a baby with a genetic abnormality is 1:190. Since the risk of amniocentesis is 1:200, 35 is the first age when the risk of the problem is greater than the risk of the test. If you have twins AMA is actually 33!

Advanced Maternal Age

DrMSG www.MedTwice.com
  • Options
    imagehisbabygirl76:

I was reading this and just realized I am the same age that my mom was when I made her a grandmother almost 18yrs ago.

Your post made me do the math... And I too am the same age my mom was when I made her a grandma.  Yikes!  But for me, that was 24 years ago  :). I certainly don't feel like a grandma, and happily my dd hasn't made me one, yet. 

~ Ren, due 8/29 BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Well I'm glad I'm not alone!  I'm 36 expecting my first.  I was so freaked out due to the stats in my docs office during the first tri mester that i felt like i didn't even celebrate the fact we finally got pregnant!!

My doc went over all the statistics with me and suggested i take the MOM21 blood test as well.  But it does really have me question, how accurate are the stats? When were they last updated.  I mean, just think of the BMI charts - are those really that accurate these days?  LOL!

But in all seriousness, it does have me question the fact about having a second baby "so late in life."  Ugh.

Congrats to all!

• Options

I thought this is interesting:  My OB told me that the term AMA is a purely clinical term used for the convenience of doctors.  Specifically, it is the age at which your risk of miscarriage resulting from an amnio is equal to your risk of having a natural miscarriage (in which case they consider it worthwhile statistically to go ahead and have the amnio).  With the advent of the new non-invasive DNA tests, this term should be tossed out the window...but probably won't!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

• Options
    imagedrmsg:

It is a little sick to be calling someone 36 old isn't it. This comes from a statistical reasoning. It 35 the risk of having a baby with a genetic abnormality is 1:190. Since the risk of amniocentesis is 1:200, 35 is the first age when the risk of the problem is greater than the risk of the test. If you have twins AMA is actually 33!

Advanced Maternal Age

Just saw that someone already basically said what I said above :)!  And they even provided a source :)

• Options
    My nurse showed me the form they fill out for me every visit...not only does it say "Advanced Maternal Age"...it says "ELDERLY"!!!! I'm 39 and sure as heck not elderly!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"