April 2011 Moms

xp - saying no

OMG - i'm losing it. my 15 month old obviously can't be reasoned with and saying no 500 times to stop touching the dishwasher or hitting the blinds is going no where...we've started 'timeout' which is more like me just sitting him down and holding him there for 10 seconds and telling him to listen to mommy and then we kiss and make up and he goes on to something else. i'm just hoping one of these days he'll just magically starting listening to me say "please stop touching the gas stove knobs honey - the gas will leak into the house and either set us all on fire or else suffocate us"for now i just vent and hope i'm not the only one!  :) ETA - OH and....i could use a HUGE glass of wine. damn liquor cabinet full of yummy things taunting me~ 
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: xp - saying no

• That was me today...sit down you'll fall and get hurt...don't turn the nobs on the dishwasher...

For bad offenses (biting) I do put her in the timeout spot (even though our pedi said she won't understand it till 18 months) I just set her and say "we do not bite it hurts" and walk away, she sits for a few seconds and then we hug.

I took the knobs off our gas stove because she would turn them all the time.  Now I just stick it on there when I need to use it (or just turn the little metal piece).

Good luck!  These will be trying times for us all as the little demons push the boundaries over and over again...

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• "Good luck! These will be trying times for us all as the little demons push the boundaries over and over again..."

I am not sure why, but this comment made me feel somewhat better! I feel like I'm raising a terror right now. Not only is her favorite word "NO!" (in a really whiny, obnoxious tone!) but she is throwing tantrums entirely too often for this mama. It's exhausting & frustrating. And I worry because we're not even into the "terrible twos" yet. Oy vey!

• Loading the player...
  • we have started timeout and for us, it works llike a charm! like pp said, our pedi said she wouldnt understand but I'm sure she gets the point. We are strict on not using the word "no" because I feel like it loses its meaning being that i could say it 3297928374823 times a day to this little human Big Smile

When she bites ot hits, we get down on her level and say " you may not hit/bite. that hurts momma. when you do this you go to time out" while i know its a lengthy phrase for a 15 month old, she knows what we mean because she falls out in a crying fit and only wants to be held once she is put in timeout.

A lot of times if we say " you will be in timeout if you do that" she will stop and change her course/action.  These are the trying times for all mommas so just know you're not alone! GL!

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I'm trying to limit "no" to only certain activites.

I use "not for X (child's name)" or "that belongs to Mommy".

I also use "STOP!" and "DANGER!" because I need the twins to listen to me when we are out and about and need them to listen.  

We started timeouts too and they do know what I am saying and don't like it.  They don't sit in the timeout spot very long, but at least it distracts them enough from whatever they were doing.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"