2nd Trimester
Options

1 hr glucose test

Did anyone take their 1 hr in the afternoon? If so, did your doctor tell you what to/to not eat/drink before, and how long before? With DS, I went early in the morning so I just didn't bother eating anything, but this time my appt is at 3pm. I don't think breakfast will be a big deal (I usually have orange juice, a granola bar, and banana every morning) but I was wondering what I should have for lunch that day.

Re: 1 hr glucose test

• Options
    nattnnattn member
    My OB says you don't need to fast, I asked a nurse on my way out and she said to fast for two hours, so I called the lab and they said I didn't need to fast. I would fast for two hours just to make sure it's a more accurate reading. It would be horrible to eat before and then fail by just a little.
  • Options
    I haven't done my test yet, but my doctor said eating normally beforehand was fine. She said to be sensible and avoid anything too sugary (no maple syrup, handful of candy,etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With my OB it's a 2 hour fast before the 1 hour. I had GD with my first so I know what foods do and don't work for my body. I'm actually going to take the the 1 hour in the afternoon this time & see if it makes the numbers any better. I took the 1 hour & the 3 hour in first tri & passed so I get it do it all over again at 26 weeks! Fun right?

But besides the 2 hour fast, no I have no other instructions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You aren't supposed to fast with the 1 hour!! Just the 3 hour.

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • Options

By the "text book" the one hour test is not a fasting test. I ask my patients to fast because it greatly reduces the number of false positive results. I think the 3 hour test is one of the wort tests I order so I do my best to help cut down on false positive 1 hour tests.

Try to fast as much as possible and definitely eat a low carbohydrate diet if your are going to eat anything.

If you think about the way the test works, you are given a measured amount of glucose and tested to see how your body clears it in one hour.  If you had a bunch of carbs (sweet food or starches) prior to the test, it would be like drinking more of the sweet stuff, a definite disadvantage.

Glucose Tolerance Test

DrMSG www.MedTwice.com
  • Options

I have mine in 3 weeks at 2:30, my doctor just said not to eat or drink anything sweet that day. 

• Options
    I will have an 1 hr gtt in the afternoon at 4 pm in 3 weeks.  The lab told me that I don't have to fast and it's true with other PPs that it's not a fasting test.  But they said that I need to finish the meal 2 hours before the 1 hr test and the meal should have no sugar to avoid false reading.  It'll be my first test.  Good luck to your 1 hour test!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"