Adoption
Options

I didn't realize...

I honestly didn't realize it until now how sad it makes me to know what the kids coming into our home have been through. I have thought about it before but now that we are about to be licensed in the next few weeks I feel this terrible sadness for the kids. It is such a torn feeling because I am so happy we will have kids in the house but the road they have traveled makes me cry. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I didn't realize...

• Options

I completely know what you are talking about.  I had the toughest time with this once we were licensed and people would comment about how sad it was that we didn't have any kids yet.  I would always comment back that it was actually a good thing because it meant kids weren't coming into care. 

It is one of the hard parts of foster care.  No one comes into foster care for a good reason.  I actually found the reasons for coming into care easier to deal with once we had our foster boys.  Then I knew the specifics and could do further research to figure out how to help them deal with their past.  It was no longer abstract with the possibility of so many different horrible situations. 

Hang in there!

• Options

Thanks ! 

Hopefully once we have a placement that will help. I am reading "Parenting the Hurt Child" right now and maybe that is part of it. It's not specific to a situation I am going through.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageFoster1Mom:

Thanks ! 

Hopefully once we have a placement that will help. I am reading "Parenting the Hurt Child" right now and maybe that is part of it. It's not specific to a situation I am going through.  

I hope the experience of having the child with you will make it easier, knowing they are safe and happy at least for the time they are with you.

Do you like the book? I almost bought it last night, but I already have 5 or 6 books I'm reading and wanted to finish those.

(I know that's not the purpose of your post, I just saw that title and had to ask.)

• Options
    imageCourtneyluff:
    imageFoster1Mom:

Thanks ! 

I hope the experience of having the child with you will make it easier, knowing they are safe and happy at least for the time they are with you.

Do you like the book? I almost bought it last night, but I already have 5 or 6 books I'm reading and wanted to finish those.

(I know that's not the purpose of your post, I just saw that title and had to ask.)

I am only about a 1/4 of the way through. It is good so far. :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"