LGBT Parenting
Options

Lack of Testosterone

So, we are 4 females ( one male chihuahua)

M and I have a great group of fried  but its mainly females.  I worry that the girls are not being exposed enough to Men. ( this may sound so odd )  We dont have one male friend ( well one that is close in the state we live in ) 

I  know that girls have a Grampa and Saba and a great uncle ( he is just a few min away ) but I really worry that they are not getting enough exposure to men of all ages.  This worry came to me when I took S to the ER and it was male Dr and she kind of flipped out ( ok given we were at the ER so that is scary in its self) but  the Dr even made a odd mention  but i cant remember what

Anyhow - Could this be a bad thing - this lack of male .. I mean they do have some they just dont see them on a regular basis as I would like....

just wondering ( Over thinking much )

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/

Re: Lack of Testosterone

• Options

Men (generally) have deeper voices, are taller, some wear facial hair.  Lots of "differences" for babies who are generally in the company of women and girls.  Add a stressful situation (ER visit) and I can see some stress there.

Our lives are pretty male-free as well.  Not by design, but our FPB (future potential baby) will not have a grandfather on either side and only one uncle - who lives far away.  Not sure how to close the gap.  

I wholeheartedly believe that a child can grow up healthy without both sexes present in the family unit, but still, I hear you and know this will come up for us some day.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    Ky just has her grandpa and her papaw that she sees on a regualr basis. I guess I am not too worried about it because it is not as if she leads a sheltered life. We take her places and interact with store clerks and other people in public all of the time. I would attribute the freak out more to the ER than anything. Ky freaks out at the doctor even if it is the pedi she has seen since birth...
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Pumpkin definitely notices men more than women, too.  A Tom Waits song came on the radio yesterday and he couldn't stop staring... Hilarious.

• Options
    I'm obviously not a parent yet, but I worry about this for our future kids.  I think it's good for kids to have strong connections to both men and women.  But I think that at the end of the day you do your best, and if there aren't a lot of men in your immediate social circle there's not always much you can do.  When you're aware of it, you can make efforts to go out of your way when you have an opportunity - like spending more time with grandpa or uncle, or making a bigger effort than you might otherwise to participate in a social activity if good male role models will be present.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options

I think about this too, and with a variety of genders in our lives, I want to expose my kids to as much diversity as possible, since I didn't really have that. My DW's best friend is a trans male, and I have two brothers, so those three are the dominant male spectrum influences on my kids. My father in law is a waste of space so I dont want them to think of his influence at all on my kids. But I do make sure my kids spend equal time with my brothers as with my sisters-in-law who would be more than happy to always take the kids.

It seems to me that parenting is all about conscious choices, and I definitely never made this many for myself and got me into lots of bad habits (food, otherwise) so that's been the greatest lesson for me about raising these kids. 

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yea, I think about this too - especially now that they are older and I can see how much they love being around the male counselors at camp. They adore their godfather (and he them), but his wife is a Foreign Service Officer and they have been in Paris for 2y and are headed to Nigeria for 2y - hence they old see him 1-2x a year. Not exactly what we had in mind when we chose him - although he is still the best choice.

They also love to spend time with L's father, but only see him 3-4x a year.

Pre-kids we had predominantly male friends. But none of them are big kid people and our contact has pretty much fallen to seeing them a coupe times a year and the occassional phone call. I would LOVE for them to have a strong male teacher, but for the foreseeable future, that isn't happening.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"