Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Your best tips for Eco-friendly Newbies

Okay all of you eco-friendly veterans, what is your best advice for families who want to become more eco-friendly but aren't sure where to start? I have lurked on this board for awhile and posted occasionally. I currently use 7gen dish soap, all free and clear laundry detergent and clean most things with vinegar and water solution. What else can I do? What were your first steps in becoming eco-friendly?

Re: Your best tips for Eco-friendly Newbies

• Options
    I'm not a veteran by any means but I'm progressing one step at a time. Switching cleaning products is a great first step! Next you could focus on reducing your use of "throwaway" items - use canvas shopping bags instead of paper/plastic, use unpaper towels instead of paper towels (I have 24 8x8 terry wipes we use as unpaper towels and napkins. Its great cause you don't feel guilt about using them once and then tossing in the laundry like you would with a whole dish towel.) If you're using sposies, consider cloth diapers. Stuff like that! Once you really get going more ideas will come to you! :)
  • Options
    Thanks Liz. I really should be using canvas shopping bags. I recycle plastic but it would definitely be easier to use canvas. I don't know that I am ready to consider cloth diapers for my DD but I am not opposed to the idea for the next baby. My main reason is I have to go outside and down 2flight of stairs to do laundry and keeping up with what I have now is plenty of work. We are looking for a house before we have any other kiddos so I am sure by then cloth diapers would be something to seriously consider. I don't use too many paper towels but we do use GOBS of napkins. I am sure switching to cloth wouldn't be to hard. I really appreciate all of your ideas and advice! Thank you. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My best tip is to find and begin doing things that you find enjoyable to get the ball rolling. Recycling and composting is an easy way to start since most people have curbside bins for it. Also, don't quit trying if you find you forget to bring your reusable bags to the store 75% of the time or use a disposable diaper or what have you.

I started out by changing our cleaning products and soaps/hygiene products when DD was a baby. That led me to begin cloth diapering when she was 2 months old (this led me to start using a diva cup and cloth menstrual pads, soon cloth napkins and unpaper towels followed).

Then as DD began eating solids I started buying more local/organic/preservative free foods to feed her and us. The higher cost of those foods segwayed into organic gardening and putting in edible landscaping which both DH and I found we really enjoyed, then came a compost bin and worm compost bin, then backyard chickens, and just last night we added our first beehive! 

The gardening led to more canning and dehydrating our own foods/herbs/spices which has led to learning more about natural herbal remedies. We began to see natural medicine practitioners for naturopathic care and acupuncture.

See how one thing leads to another and then another? Over just about 3 1/2 years our lifestyle has changed drastically but it happened step by step. Just get started on what seems least intimidating to you and let it naturally lead you to the next thing. :o) Keep moving forward and finding what works for you.

Sometimes we still use paper towels and pre-bottled water. Sometimes our recycling isn't as thorough as I'd like it to be, but on the whole, we're probably more than 100xs more eco-friendly than we were 5 years ago. In five years you'll probably look back and find the same. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am not a veteran either, but I think I am doing pretty good so far! lol.

I started with switching out my cleaning products and using rags over paper towels everywhere except the bathroom. Also started composting and started an organic veggie and herb garden. I handwash small loads of laundry and dry clothes on the line whenever possible. Trying to buy local as much as possible, stuff like that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

love your story/progression tarta! :)

it is definitely a gradual process, but like others have suggested, i'd start with replacing your disposable items with things that are reusable. it will honestly just kind of go from there!

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"