February 2013 Moms

rotisserie chicken?

I am being a little nervous today, so sorry if this has been asked before. I know that we had rotisserie chicken from our local grocery store a while ago. 

Is this bad? I knew about the prepared salads, but didn't think about the chicken being a problem. Anyone know if the prepared chickens are an issue (other than sodium content)? Could it be a listeria risk?

Sorry again if this has been asked. 

Lilypie - (KNqh)

Re: rotisserie chicken?

• i had a rotisserie chicken last week and i'm ok!
    pregnancy BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageannmengland:
    i had a rotisserie chicken last week and i'm ok!

Thanks for your reply. :) We get them sometimes when we're too tired to cook. Just wanted to know if it's something that I would need to avoid in the future, ya know? 

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRiverSong82:

imageannmengland:
    i had a rotisserie chicken last week and i'm ok!

Thanks for your reply. :) We get them sometimes when we're too tired to cook. Just wanted to know if it's something that I would need to avoid in the future, ya know? 

when you bring it home, you can throw it in the oven for 15 minutes.. i do that it makes me feel better lol

pregnancy BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I've been eating them, too.  If you REALLY want to be cautious, heat up the meat you're about to eat in the microwave (I'm assuming this would make it safer since people heat up deli meat) and/or you could call your grocery store to see what time they usually take the chickens out of the oven and go around that time.  At my local Whole Foods, they usually take the second round of roasted chickens out around 4:45 pm.  This way, I know it hasn't been sitting around under a heat lamp all day.
  • I would think its fine. Hopefully they cook the chicken to the proper internal temperature so it should be safe! :)
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciate it. You've made this nervous Nelly feel better. I need to learn to stay away from Dr. Google. :)
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • The only thing I see mentioned is this :

Why: As with soft cheeses, there's a small risk that harmful listeria bacteria may lurk in fresh-from-the-deli-counter meats like turkey and ham. Dr. Morse also advises steering clear of whole, cooked rotisserie chickens and turkey breasts if they're being stored in a refrigerated case. Listeria can survive cold temps, which means there's still an off-chance they could make you sick; however, chicken that has been recently cooked and is still under the warmer is fine.

I would think it would be fine, especially like others mention getting a recently cooked one, and even reheating.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJujuzee:

The only thing I see mentioned is this :

Why: As with soft cheeses, there's a small risk that harmful listeria bacteria may lurk in fresh-from-the-deli-counter meats like turkey and ham. Dr. Morse also advises steering clear of whole, cooked rotisserie chickens and turkey breasts if they're being stored in a refrigerated case. Listeria can survive cold temps, which means there's still an off-chance they could make you sick; however, chicken that has been recently cooked and is still under the warmer is fine.

I would think it would be fine, especially like others mention getting a recently cooked one, and even reheating.

This sounds kind of like the thing I read. However, the chickens at our store are always kept hot, so that makes me feel better.

Thanks again all. :) 

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • imageCocoR04:
    I've been eating them, too.  If you REALLY want to be cautious, heat up the meat you're about to eat in the microwave (I'm assuming this would make it safer since people heat up deli meat) and/or you could call your grocery store to see what time they usually take the chickens out of the oven and go around that time.  At my local Whole Foods, they usually take the second round of roasted chickens out around 4:45 pm.  This way, I know it hasn't been sitting around under a heat lamp all day.

That's really good advice. As long as it hasn't been sitting out for long, it should be fine, and if it has, then a nuking your plate after you cut off your pieces should cover it.

This has me remembering the time I baked a whole chicken by myself for the first time when I was pg with DD and then realized that the cat jumped on the oven and licked the whole darn thing with the same mouth he cleans his butt with. DH came home to find me crying. He pulled off the skin and ate it while I made a frozen dinner. So sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"