Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Finished Day 1 of 3 day PT - need encouragement

So we just started Lora Jensen's 3 day PT method with DS, who will be 2 1/2 at the end of the month.  It was a LONG day.  He had 8 pee accidents and 1 poop accident.  He did stay dry through his 90 minute nap, and we put him to bed in underwear.  He would protest and struggle when we tried to put him on the potty mid-accident, and he wouldn't willingly sit on the potty before nap time.  We did catch a dribble at the end once and gave him his reward (a small Elmo cookie). Right before bed time he did say he needed to use the potty, but sat for a long time and didn't go, so I put him to bed, and he peed in the bed within 5 minutes of me leaving the room.  DH and I will both be home tomorrow, but then I am solo on Monday and we also have an 8 month-old, so it's tough to stay focused on my big guy.  Anyway, I am totally exhausted, and I guess Iam just looking for encouragement.  Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: Finished Day 1 of 3 day PT - need encouragement

• Options

Day 1 just absolutely blows. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. But she started to catch on by the end of Day 2. And Day 3, she had very few accidents. 

We went through 8 pairs of underwear on day 1 and only  3 on day 2. Poop took us a week to master, though, just fyi. But it does get better! You're doing a great job and the fact that your son told you he had to go pee, even if he didn't is a great sign! At least he's warmed up to the idea and not afraid of the toilet! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We also did the 3 day method.  I tried at 2.5 and I just got frustrated with all the accidents.  I guess I wasn't the one who was ready.  I waited until one week before his 3rd bday, he had one pee accident and 2 poop accidents.  Beside having him in pullups at night, he's great during the day.  If you want to keep going, just stick with it.  I'm glad I waited a bit longer, it really was SO easy to do.  It was a very smooth transition and not stressful at all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Day one was awful!  Day two was better and finally at the end of day three it clicked. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Day one was so bad for us, the only reason I kept going is so that I would never have to repeat it. Stick with it, focus on little else and you will be so glad you made the sacrifice. I have friends who started at the same time as DD did 3-4 months ago, who are way more verbal than her, who still aren't trained because they never got the message that the potty was the only option.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We just finished the 3 day method (though I'll be honest it took us 5 days). The first few were miserable and I only kept going because I'm stubborn and didn't want to have to do it again later! Yesterday we went 24hrs with only one accident (right after nap and she was still half asleep). Today we tackle leaving the house and public bathrooms! Eek! Good Luck! What worked for us is making the reward something she NEVER gets (half a gummy bear). Once she put it together that she got it for peein IN the potty she never looked back! We only needed them for 2.5 days so I'm not worried about the sweets!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    We did the 3 day method. Today, exactly three weeks later, is the first time he went pee without prompting. Yesterday was our first accident free day. We are still working on poop.  We have been dry at night since long before PTing began. And he has been dry on all our outings since PTing began.  As you can see by my and all the other pp, all kiddos train differently, no matter what method you use. But the first day is always the worst. That much is for sure!
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses.  So far day 2 has been pretty much the same as day 1, which is pretty discouraging. He did stay dry for the whole 11 hours he slept, but he has been staying dry at night for a couple of months though.  I guess there is no turning back at this point.  I sure hope it "clicks" soon because we are all a bit stir crazy already.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
  • Options
    It got better for us! This is our day 4 - we started on Thursday. On the first day, I washed 16 wet undies during her nap - so those were all from the morning. Day 2, was only like 7 wet ones before naptime. And, on day 1, she was often agitated when she did pee on the potty, so she didn't stay there very long - resulting in lots of trips for little pees. But she got over the agitation by the afternoon. We had no accidents starting the afternoon of Day 2 - meaning we got her to the potty in time. DD does still need to be prompted a bit when I can see that it's time to pee, but she has initiated it herself a couple times.  DD liked when my husband would go to the potty with her, changed it up a bit. I'm 6 months pregnant and the first day was brutal - all the sitting on the floor while she played, running her to and from the bathroom, wasn't sure I would survive day 2. And she wanted to be carried all the time. But it got better, and I'm really glad we did it this way. Can't imagine dragging it out longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For us, 2.5 days were awful all in their own way, but mid way through day 3 it all fell into place.

Day one was just tons of accidents

Day two she just held it for very long periods even drinking lots of fluids

Morning of day three small accidents, but then would stop herself, but refused to finish in potty.  We finally took off the panties and within 15 minutes she noticed signs and got it all in the potty (I know method doesn't say to do this, but it was like she didn't mind getting the panties a little wet so we were going through tons of pairs of slightly wet because she wouldn't go in the potty.  When we took that option away it all fell into place).  We did this one other time later that day and after two successful trips she was set!

Night has taken a little longer, but within a week we were seeing progress at night too.

Good luck.  It should get better. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    After getting excited about this morning's success, he had two accidents. But more than made up for it by pooping in the potty! It's definitely a process, and a frustrating one, that's for sure!
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!  Overall today was better - he had only 5 accidents today, all in the AM.  He has yet to initiate it himself, but he did manage to poop in the potty instead of his underwear today.  He also no longer fights me when I bring him to the potty, which is good.  He even agreed to sit on the potty before bed, although he didn't pee, so I'm not sure he will make it all the way through the night.  I wouldn't say it's "clicked" but he has improved a lot.  We'll see what tomorrow brings!  
  • Options
    Sounds like you all did a better job of sticking with it than me!  I just posted about how our first attempt went on my blog. The short story?  We're going to wait a month and try again. Oy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"