LGBT Parenting
Options

at-home inseminators: a question

Is inseminator even a word?

Anyway - we do at-home ICI (which means inseminating directly into the cervix, but not all of the way into the uterus).

Most of the time, it's really really tricky to find the os (the opening in the cervix, where the sperm needs to go). Once in a while, it's nicely centered and easy to do, but more often it lists down to the 5:00 position and it's REALLY hard to get the catheter in.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

For set up - we're using a medical-grade speculum and a tomcat catheter.

Similar to this:

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.

Re: at-home inseminators: a question

• Options

We actually didn't use a speculum...we had one but DW was really squeamish about hurting me.   I used my finger to help her guide the catheter in, and had her press down on the syringe when I felt the catheter touch my cervix.  Not very scientific, but as good as "au natural" and it worked for us!

Good luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Some women use a diaphram to keep it high

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image2moms2twins:

Some women use a diaphram to keep it high

Can you explain this more?  (I only know that diaphrams are used as a birth control device, so please walk me through it)

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

If you're using a fresh sample, or an unwashed frozen sample, be REALLY carefully that you're not actually inserting the sperm through the Os.  ICI should place the sperm onto the outside of the Cervix, not through it.  Unwashed sperm inserted directly into the Uterus througth the Os (precedure technically called IUI) can carry a huge risk of infection.  If you are attempting that procedure, you should use frozen washed sperm (or fresh washed, but I'm guessing since you're doing it at home you won't have that capability).  That procedure is not typically done at home.

Alternatively, as PP mentioned, you can use a diaphragm or Instead cup.  The Instead cup is readily available in a drug store and is made/sold as an alternative to tampons for your period.  You can put the sperm into that cup, and insert it and it sits up close to your cervix, holding the sperm there so it does not drain down and out of the vagina and gives it a chance to do it's little swimming thing and get on up there!

Hope that helps, post again if you have more questions about the washed/unwashed deal.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    imageJGY:

If you're using a fresh sample, or an unwashed frozen sample, be REALLY carefully that you're not actually inserting the sperm through the Os.  ICI should place the sperm onto the outside of the Cervix, not through it.  Unwashed sperm inserted directly into the Uterus througth the Os (precedure technically called IUI) can carry a huge risk of infection.  If you are attempting that procedure, you should use frozen washed sperm (or fresh washed, but I'm guessing since you're doing it at home you won't have that capability).  That procedure is not typically done at home.

Alternatively, as PP mentioned, you can use a diaphragm or Instead cup.  The Instead cup is readily available in a drug store and is made/sold as an alternative to tampons for your period.  You can put the sperm into that cup, and insert it and it sits up close to your cervix, holding the sperm there so it does not drain down and out of the vagina and gives it a chance to do it's little swimming thing and get on up there!

Hope that helps, post again if you have more questions about the washed/unwashed deal.

We're inserting the catheter like 1/4" into the cervix.  Our midwife trained us specifically knowing all of the details (unwashed frozen sperm).  She was very clear not to insert the catheter deep into the cervix, and we've been following that protocol to the letter.

Regarding the cap or cup, how on earth do you install it without spilling the sperm?  Frozen sperm comes in very small (and expensive) quantities!

• Options
    JGYJGY member

Okay, I'm sure you Midwife gave you great instructions so I'm sighing a bit of relief.  Big Smile

For those of us old-timers who once dated those of the opposite sex, diaphragm usage is familiar, but I understand how scary that can be if you have no experience with it.  And you would DEFNIITELY want to practice with an empty cup!  I believe that instructions are on the box, but in this case I would certainly suggest doing the insertion while lying down. 

But honestly, if you guys are succesfully using the catheter already I would suggest sticking with that.  If finding the Os is a problem, have you experimented with other positions (side lying, hands and knees)?  I DEFINITELY hear you on the cost per cycle, and understand the panic associated.

Good luck!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    imageJGY:

Okay, I'm sure you Midwife gave you great instructions so I'm sighing a bit of relief.  Big Smile

For those of us old-timers who once dated those of the opposite sex, diaphragm usage is familiar, but I understand how scary that can be if you have no experience with it.  And you would DEFNIITELY want to practice with an empty cup!  I believe that instructions are on the box, but in this case I would certainly suggest doing the insertion while lying down. 

But honestly, if you guys are succesfully using the catheter already I would suggest sticking with that.  If finding the Os is a problem, have you experimented with other positions (side lying, hands and knees)?  I DEFINITELY hear you on the cost per cycle, and understand the panic associated.

Good luck!

We have had two BFP cycles (and, sadly, two chemical pregnancies), so yeah, I guess we are getting the conception part right.

Finding that damn os can be nerve-wracking - particularly b/c my partner has an in-tact hymen, so I have to carefully navigate around it when I put the speculum in.  I feel like I'm driving a big, clumsy bulldozer sometimes!

I appreciate the suggestion about changing positions.  If my partner does a side-lie, that should cause the os to center a bit.  The cervix is so high and squishy at that point, that could be really helpful to get it front-and-center.

• Options
    JGYJGY member
    imagemypalbabs:

Finding that damn os can be nerve-wracking - particularly b/c my partner has an in-tact hymen, so I have to carefully navigate around it when I put the speculum in.  I feel like I'm driving a big, clumsy bulldozer sometimes!

First time with the whole "Quotes" thing so excuse me if I effed it up.  He he he

Yeah, I'd say given your partner's anatomy, I wouldn't even consider the diaphragm/cup option.  Those things have a nasty habit of snapping open right at the wrong time (you pinch them in half to insert) and it could end up being not only ineffective, but a really bad and painful experience.

Good luck trying different positions!  I admire that you guys are taking charge of things at home and are able to do this in such a loving way.  Beats laying on a Dr.'s table (which is what I had to do 4 times)!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    hlkehlke member

I don't have much to add, just that for a whole bunch of reasons, we're not doing "real" ICIs at home, just the "turkey baster" method.  We're definitely working with some challenging anatomy, so the ease of "aim at the cervix and depress the plunger on the syringe" has taken a lot of pressure off us.

That said, it seems like getting the procedure right isn't the issue.  I know you're only at 2 early losses, but any chance of your Dr. getting 7 DPO progesterone to see if that's an issue? 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options
    tdmklmtdmklm member
    imagehlke:

I don't have much to add, just that for a whole bunch of reasons, we're not doing "real" ICIs at home, just the "turkey baster" method.  We're definitely working with some challenging anatomy, so the ease of "aim at the cervix and depress the plunger on the syringe" has taken a lot of pressure off us.

That said, it seems like getting the procedure right isn't the issue.  I know you're only at 2 early losses, but any chance of your Dr. getting 7 DPO progesterone to see if that's an issue? 

Nothing to add, really - just dittoing hlke. We did "turkey baster" with J and are doing it again. I also would encourage you to check into progesterone... My SIL had early losses and that was the issue. She now has three rambunctious teens. Smile 

• Options
    imagehlke:

We had an extended consultation with an RE who specializes in recurrent losses.  We grilled him about our two C/Ps and he said he was not at all concerned simply because they occurred so very early.  If we hadn't been testing daily, it's likely we would not have known that conception had occurred at all.  I don't mean to diminish C/Ps, but I think that losses that occur so very early are in a different category than a "true" miscarriage.  

If you think I'm way off, please feel free to school me (in the good, helpful way!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"