Birth Stories

A Very Positive FTM Labor Story

I gave birth to our beautiful baby boy on June 26th 2012, a week before his due date (7/2/12).

I was really nervous about the labor and delivery process, being a first time mom and not knowing what to expect, but i actually had a very pleasant labor experience...finally, not a horror story! 

On Monday, 6/25 I went to the doctor for my 39 week check up and had my membranes swept since i was 2 centimeters and 80% effaced ( not as painful as i thought it would be). I also had a terrible sore throat and body aches. I was so annoyed because not only was i super unconformable from pregnancy, but now i had this killer cold to deal with.  The doctor did a strep test, which came back negative, and just told me to get lots of rest. When I got back from the doctor i had some cramping and went to nap on the couch. I kept waking up from my nap with terrible back pain, which i just assumed was body aches from my virus. Later that night i was feeling even more sick, and developed a fever so my husband and I went into labor and delivery just to get checked out because of the fever. They checked me out and sent me home and said the baby looked good and get rest.

That next morning (6/26), I woke up at 3am with terrible back pain. I started timing them and they were about 5-6 minutes apart. They started becoming so painful that i had to moan and groan through them. My husband was working 3rd shift in the home office and heard me moaning. I wasn't convinced i was in labor until they were about 3-4 minutes apart and i had to breath to get through them. We headed to the hospital at about 6am, went to triage to get checked. I was having strong contractions, and was 4.5 centimeters and 80% effaced. The nurse told me that we would be having the baby that day!

I got shown to my room and began walking the halls until it became too intense to keep walking. Once i was back in my room i tried the jet tub, which was amazing. It really calmed my muscles and made the contractions less intense After about an hour in the tub i got back in bed for them to check me and i progressed to 6 cm! I asked for the epidural at this point ( the epidural was not as scary as I thought it would be, and i barely even felt a thing!). They then broke my water and i laid in bed trying to nap while my mom fed me ice chips, and my hubby passed out on the couch. I was starting to feel some minor cramping and some pressure so my mom got the nurse to see if she could turn up the epidural. She did, and then she checked me and i was already at 8! About 15 minutes later the i felt some pretty uncomfortable pressure, and asked the nurse to check me again... i was 10 centimeters! We had to wait for the doctor to get to the hospitable, so i had to breath through the pressure to try to stop myself from pushing. Once the doctor got there I started pushing...I only pushed for about 30-40 minutes until my beautiful son was born. I was so happy with how everything turned out, and would do it all a million times over for our little boy.

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: A Very Positive FTM Labor Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards