High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Disability??

Has anyone here been taken off work for bedrest applied for disability??  I was taken off work about 2 weeks ago, which means I will have about 6 months of no work.  I live in AL and I am totally clueless about this.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Disability??

• Options
    Long term disability ( like social security) wouldn't be the way to go.  You'll probably need to look into short term disability.  That's how my agency handles bed rest prior to delivery. 
  • Options

::lurking::

If you have personal or group disability insurance, you can apply for short term disability.  But government disability programs won't cover you for bedrest I don't think.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage
    BFP #1 - 01/12/12, EDD 09/12/12, Medical Induction @ 21 weeks 05/03/12
    BFP #2 - 10/30/12, EDD 07/04/13, Natural m/c @ 5 weeks 11/01/12
    BFP #3 - 02/07/13, EDD 10/12/13
    Dx: Incompotent Cervix

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    Your state may have a disability plan.  You'll have to do some searching on that.  I had to sign up for STD through work, as well as supplemental STD.  Most workplaces, yours or DH's, will have a company to go through.  however, most private STD agencies have a pre-existing condition clause and pregnancy is included in this.  I fell into this issue when I was pregnant with DS.  I was off 17 weeks and I had no income during this time.  It sucked.
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Like others have said if you have a short term disability policy through your work then you definitely want to check with your HR department to get that process going.  Usually there is a waiting period of around 14 days before the benefits would kick in but at that would be something.  As for applying for government disability, I know in NC, you must be deemed disabled by your physician for two full years, unless it is a terminal disability in which, you have to be disabled for 6 months prior to filing for benefits.  They will not approve you unless you can provide documentation stating you were disabled for that length of time.

If you don't have the short term option with your work, are they holding your job or have they terminated you?  If you will be out of work for 6 months with no pay then I'm assuming they terminated you from your job because FMLA benefits only can protect your job for 12 weeks.  If you won't be actually employed during those 12 weeks then you could possibly apply for unemployment.  I would also check with your local Dept. of Social Services and see if you are eligible for assistance like WIC or food stamps.  It may not give provide you with a paycheck during the time off, but it could help offset your food costs. 

Both of my pregnancies have been high risk and I was pulled out of work with both pregnancies around the 6 month mark.  I am fortunate to have short term disability available but this go around since my DS will be here anyday now and DD is only 1, I didn't have any FMLA options.  So as of Friday my company terminated me, they would like me to return, but in the meantime they have hired someone temporarily and terminated me which will make me eligible (after the disability pays out) for unemployment benefits until my company could hire me back on.  We don't qualify for other government benefits due to DH's salary but it's definitely worth checking out what may be available to you.  Good luck and try not to stress about the financial stuff.  Your most important job right now is taking care yourself and that precious baby. 

Married 8/23/09 Dx: Endometriosis mc 2003, mc 2005, mc Oct. 2009 and ectopic pg Feb. 2010 Baby Girl Gracie Mae born 5 weeks early on 7/6/11. Baby boy JT born full term on 7/5/12. We are blessed!
  • Options
    my state has has tdi (temporary disabilty) Long term disabilty wont work, because you need to be out of work for over a year before applying. Try Short term? or TDI if your state has it.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I was put on bed rest at 21 weeks. My company provides 26 weeks of STD after being out of work for 5 consecutive work days. If I am out longer than 26 weeks I would either be on unpaid leave or (if you have it) long-term disability would kick in. If I make it to my induction at 38 weeks (my doctors said that I will be lucky to make it to 35 weeks) I will use the remaining time of my disability (allowed 8 weeks for c-section) than I will use a few weeks of my vacation. Does your company provide you with STD?
  • Options
    I was pulled from work at 32 weeks and then had my son at 37 weeks... CA has short term disability that pays 55% of your salary... Fortunately I had a private disability insurance plan too so we were fully covered.  I googled it really quickly, and it looks like GA does have disability benefits for pregnancy complications :) Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30   DH: 32   
    TFAS since May 2013
    8/14 - Bloodwork showed heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and elevated AMH (but no cysts)
    9/14 - HSG, Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy showed tubes clear, but found and removed Endometriosis, scar tissue and 2 small benign masses on my tubes.
    11/14 - Daily ultrasounds confirmed that my follicles are not releasing the egg and every other day blood draws showed very low progesterone... DH's SA was near perfect
    12/14 - moving onto meds!!! Hold up!!!  Surprise BFP after only taking the progesterone!  Now what do I do with all of the other meds we already paid for?!  Due at the end of August 2015 Beta#1- 4434 @ 22DPO  Beta#2 - 7335 @ 25DPO Beta #3 - 14429  @ 28DPO
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"