Health & Exercise
Options

Distance Biking in first Trimester?

Hi everyone - so I'm a fairly active person and my husband and I have been biking this spring on our new road bikes - pretty good distances ~40 mile rides on consecutive Saturdays.  However, because of travel and other things, we haven't been biking in 2 months but we have a 'bike date' with another couple up the coast for a 50 mile ride next weekend.  I wanted to ask my doctor if this is a good idea but my appointment isn't until after the scheduled ride (I'm 6w0d).  SO my question to you ladies is this: has anyone else continued biking at this level?  and do you think the gap in time between my rides is an issue?  

I know the obvious 'listen to your body' and 'if you can't talk you are pushing too hard' and the worry about cars and falling dangers but any other thoughts? 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Distance Biking in first Trimester?

• Options
    ras26ras26 member
    If you are still in decent shape, the exercise itself will be fine, just like running is fine, as long as you've been doing it already.  Cycling can be an issue when you're further along due to potential balance issues, but some women still do it.  I guess I could be considered an "experienced cyclist," but I chose not to cycle when pregnant because of the falling risk you mentioned.  Personally, I've done the "unclip right/lean left" and didn't think the risk was worth it to me. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Because I am scared of the falling issue being clipped in, I put regular pedals back on my bike, so I can fall either way and catch myself.  I guess I am in decent shape and when doing our rides, I am usually chatting it up with our friends anyway, so I don't think we go crazy and overexert ourselves (we always ride to breweries, so we are not like those serious packs of spandex blowing past! Of course I won't be drinking this time!)  

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm still debating whether to do it or not, I want to do a practice ride this weekend of at least 10 miles - before the 50 mile ride next weekend - just to see if I'm comfortable.  I think that might help me decide.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awesome!  Glad to hear it!  I didn't do the test ride yet, but I'm thinking I'll be okay - I'm a little tired too, but not too bad yet.  Thanks!
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    Yep, for the 1st trimester, tiredness was my biggest issue. As for biking, I rode my bike until about halfway through my 1st pregnancy without any problems. I did switch to path riding as opposed to road riding though because I didn't want to take chances with traffic. And, as my road bike became less comfortable, I switched over to my mountain bike instead (without clipless pedals, of course). Do what you can and have a back-up plan in place for your trip. Will anyone be accompanying your group in a SAG vehicle?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"