Working Moms
Options

Do you call and check on LO at daycare everyday?

2»

Re: Do you call and check on LO at daycare everyday?

• Options
    I don't call ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    No, I don't call to check in everyday because I am not crazy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've honestly never called, nor have I ever even thought to.

I've only ever called his daycare to tell them that he won't be in that day. 

• Options

DH and I both called to check in the first day (she started at 2 months) and since then I only call if she has been getting over something or has a doctor appointment scheduled or something like that.  I don't call to check in.  If there is an issue, they will call me...even if it is something minor that doesn't actually require that I pick her up.

• Options
    I have never called. They call me if there's a problem.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageklc31883:
    imageMammaBear81:

imageklc31883:
    I really cannot believe this turned into this.  I am sorry I am "that parent".  For the record, the phone call lasts 2 minutes, I hear what she ate for lunch, if it was something new I hear if she liked it or not, hear how her nap was for the morning (sleep has always been a struggle for her), and a generally update on what shes done (her teacher shares if she's standing today or working on pulling up).  I honestly would have no problem if I knew the other 2 parents called and checked in as well or even more than once!  But to each their own.  Again, I never meant to cause such a comotion!

You can find all of this information in her daily sheet when you pick her up, or if DH picks her up you can read it at home.  You really can't wait that long to find out what she did for the day?  I wonder what you will do when she's in school.

Oh really, how do you know what's on my daughter's sheet? Because actually, I wouldn't find this info.  Yes, I can wait but have enjoyed hearing about her day, and no I don't plan to check on her in school or probably not even much more which I've now stated many times. 

Its sad to me how aggressive so many of you are in a situation that you don't have all the facts. 

Please stop making a mountain out of a molehill!

I didn't really see anything 'aggressive' in this post and I think your responses about the sheet is based on what many DCP's do in the infant room- list what was eaten, times of diaper changes & results, time & length of nap, comments section if anything special, etc. Perhaps if they are not putting any sort of information on the sheet you could ask them to and maybe even just say I know I have usually called daily in the past but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now and probably won't be calling as often but would like to still know a little bit about what she is eating and doing during the day, is there any way that you would be able to note that?

• Options

I called once, in March, when there was a heat wave and DC's air conditioner was broken. I wanted to check in to see if it was too hot or if I should pick DD up.

I trust that DC will call me if something is wrong with DD. Please try to relax.

• Options

Wow, this post sort of exploded.

My sister watches my kids so it's a little different than a center but no, I don't call.  For me, no news is good news.  I also don't get a sheet because it's my sister watching them and I figure she'll tell me if something is really off like they didn't nap at all or wouldn't eat, etc.  Most days all I ask is "when did the baby last eat" when I pick them up.

I can understand why you call, I just don't have that same need I guess.  I did, however, give a big side-eye to a co-worker of mine who would call her mom three or four times a day to get updates on her first baby.  I found that to be obnoxious.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Ok, my only question is what would you do if DC told you that your LO was having a very fussy day, nothing out of the ordinary, just a fussy day?  Would you drop everything at work to go get her?  Fret the rest of the day because she is a little off?  I don't call because of this reason. 
  • Options
    I called the first couple of days and then never after that. I don't see a need to. My dc gives me a sheet that tells me how his day went (naps, feeding, etc.). If there was something I needed to know, they would call me. I think it would be ridiculous to call every single day for no apparent reason.  You have been calling every day for 7 months??
  • Options

I'm just curious what kind of job allows you to call twice a day or even once a day?  There's no way I would have time to do that in my job as a teacher.

Oh, wait, I would hate to rub it in that I'm a teacher.  I would hate for anyone to get jealous.  That's for another post...Smile

• Options
    imageEllaHella:
    imageILoveBritney!:

imageklc31883:
    I certainly do not want to cause that, but I stand behind my statment, that as her parent, I CAN call whenever I want to. 
    Um... o.k.??? 

You know you're in the minority.  So... I'm lost on why you feel you need to make this "statement" that you COULD call as often as you wanted.  What are you proving to us?

Am I the only one reading the OP's statement in an Eric Cartman voice?  Whateva, I do what I want.

YES!!! That's exactly what I pictured lol. OP, you sound slightly neurotic if you need to micromanage LO's DCP that bad. I guarantee they hate you there.

• Options

I've never called. 

I teach high school and some of my students say they often get texted by their parents while they are in class (use of cell phones is prohibited during the day). I didn't realize helicopter parenting could start so early. 

Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The baby does not know you called.  Are you worried about her or something'?

And parents visiting daycare can be very disruptive, particularly for older kids.   

• Options
    Helicopter parent much?
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member
    Wow, slow news day on the Bump.  I can't believe all the interest in this post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageaglenn:

LOL and I have yet to see anything posted about the SHOCKER TomKat breakup.... 

• Options
    aglennaglenn member
    imagegroovygrl:

imageaglenn:

LOL and I have yet to see anything posted about the SHOCKER TomKat breakup.... 

Not to worry, it's hit my birth month board. :) 

• Options
    imagegroovygrl:
    imageklc31883:
    imageMammaBear81:

imageklc31883:
    I really cannot believe this turned into this.  I am sorry I am "that parent".  For the record, the phone call lasts 2 minutes, I hear what she ate for lunch, if it was something new I hear if she liked it or not, hear how her nap was for the morning (sleep has always been a struggle for her), and a generally update on what shes done (her teacher shares if she's standing today or working on pulling up).  I honestly would have no problem if I knew the other 2 parents called and checked in as well or even more than once!  But to each their own.  Again, I never meant to cause such a comotion!

You can find all of this information in her daily sheet when you pick her up, or if DH picks her up you can read it at home.  You really can't wait that long to find out what she did for the day?  I wonder what you will do when she's in school.

Oh really, how do you know what's on my daughter's sheet? Because actually, I wouldn't find this info.  Yes, I can wait but have enjoyed hearing about her day, and no I don't plan to check on her in school or probably not even much more which I've now stated many times. 

Its sad to me how aggressive so many of you are in a situation that you don't have all the facts. 

I didn't really see anything 'aggressive' in this post and I think your responses about the sheet is based on what many DCP's do in the infant room- list what was eaten, times of diaper changes & results, time & length of nap, comments section if anything special, etc. Perhaps if they are not putting any sort of information on the sheet you could ask them to and maybe even just say I know I have usually called daily in the past but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now and probably won't be calling as often but would like to still know a little bit about what she is eating and doing during the day, is there any way that you would be able to note that?

You are right groovygirl, that wasn't an aggressive post, as a previous childcare worker I know what is generally "standard" on infant/toddler daily sheets, and if that stuff isn't standard, I'd ask the DCP if they could kindly put it on your child's sheet. 

OP, if you are looking for an aggressive answer I can tell you from the perspective of the DCP, that parents that call everyday are "that" parent and everyone in the entire center knows who "you" are and don't want your child in their class simply because they don't want to deal with you.  We have a lot to do everyday, a schedule to follow, activities to plan, making your child's day the best we can, and when you call (every day) and take us away from that it's REALLY annoying.  We understand the first few days, new parents etc. but calling "just to say hi" is a waste of our time and resources and generally makes us feel like you don't trust what we do with your child.

Of course we aren't going to tell you not to call, because then you would get offended and we wouldn't want that to happen, but know that your DCP really doesn't want you to call everyday, we would rather spend it playing and caring for your child.

Was that a better answer?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagegroovygrl:
    imageklc31883:
    imageMammaBear81:

imageklc31883:

You are right groovygirl, that wasn't an aggressive post, as a previous childcare worker I know what is generally "standard" on infant/toddler daily sheets, and if that stuff isn't standard, I'd ask the DCP if they could kindly put it on your child's sheet. 

OP, if you are looking for an aggressive answer I can tell you from the perspective of the DCP, that parents that call everyday are "that" parent and everyone in the entire center knows who "you" are and don't want your child in their class simply because they don't want to deal with you.  We have a lot to do everyday, a schedule to follow, activities to plan, making your child's day the best we can, and when you call (every day) and take us away from that it's REALLY annoying.  We understand the first few days, new parents etc. but calling "just to say hi" is a waste of our time and resources and generally makes us feel like you don't trust what we do with your child.

Of course we aren't going to tell you not to call, because then you would get offended and we wouldn't want that to happen, but know that your DCP really doesn't want you to call everyday, we would rather spend it playing and caring for your child.

Was that a better answer?

Well said, MammaBear.  Well said.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    Yes, I call everyday.  It helps me feel more connected to them.
  • Options

imageNechie122:

Yes 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imageesperanza123:

I've never called. 

I teach high school and some of my students say they often get texted by their parents while they are in class (use of cell phones is prohibited during the day). I didn't realize helicopter parenting could start so early. 

YES! then the kids nearly  whip out their phones and say, "Mrs. R___, can I text my mom back? She texted me first." 

NO!! what the hell are your parents texting you for anyway?!  If it was a true emergency, they'd call the office. ugh. I feel like I get more and more students/parents like this every year. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejamdv3:
    imageesperanza123:

I've never called. 

YES! then the kids nearly  whip out their phones and say, "Mrs. R___, can I text my mom back? She texted me first." 

NO!! what the hell are your parents texting you for anyway?!  If it was a true emergency, they'd call the office. ugh. I feel like I get more and more students/parents like this every year. 

LOL, I teach HS and I hate this.  When they pull their phone out and tell me their mom is calling, I answer it, tell them their son/daughter is in class and will call them back later.

• Options
    imagejamdv3:
    imageesperanza123:

I've never called. 

Unfortunately, I don't think parents would even think to call the office anymore.  I hate having that conversation.  The kids truly feel entitled to talking/texting their parents in school.  And, parents feel entitled to call their kids as well.

Oh, wait, the OP sounds like this is going to be her in 14 years.

I need to retire.

• Options
    No, I have never called.  Not once, not even on the first day.  They would call me if there was ever an issue. 
  • Options
    imageali0608:
    imagejamdv3:
    imageesperanza123:

I've never called. 

Unfortunately, I don't think parents would even think to call the office anymore.  I hate having that conversation.  The kids truly feel entitled to talking/texting their parents in school.  And, parents feel entitled to call their kids as well.

Oh, wait, the OP sounds like this is going to be her in 14 years.

I need to retire.

I had a college student (freshman or sophomore, not sure) actually walk out in the middle of my final exam with her phone in her hand...I followed her right out the door and was like, um what are you doing? And she said it was her mom (as if that made it just fine) and I was like, well you either hang it up right now or your exam is over, and she came right back in...

• Options

OP-  I called close to every day for the first week or so. Then, work got so busy that even when I wanted to call I couldn't. Before I knew it, the workday was over. I actually felt much better after that. My anxiety over the separation lessened. I was able to focus on work. Then, I enjoyed the reports at the end of the day. Eventually, those lessened. I don't know what LO eats every day. But, I don't feel less connected. I would just challenge yourself. Try calling monday, wednesday, and friday or something.... see how that goes. You certainly can call every day. I just know from my experience I felt better when I didn't call all the time. 

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • Options
    If this daycare is causing you such a high level of anxiety, maybe you and your LO would both be better off if you found a new care provider.  I can't imagine her daycare would be sorry to see you go if you're calling so frequently.
  • Options

I only read through page 2 but...

As a former Daycare teacher, I would have had discussions with my Director about the phone calls.  Calling to check on a new child or a child that has been ill or some other life change is totally expected but calling everyday to check in is very disruptive.  The low ratios are there because the state or center feels that one adult needs to be preseent to take care of three children, not so one adult can talk on the phone while the other adult has five children.

Keep in mind that even the children are napping, the teachers need to eat lunch, clean the room/toys, plan activities, go to the bathroom, write daily reports, stock diapers, etc.  Sure your phone call only takes a few minutes but what if everyone's parent calls?

Talk to the teacher at drop off or pick up, read the daily reports and if you feel like something is going on that you need to call everyday, you should find a new care provider.

• Options
    imagekatie4253:

imageNechie122:

Yes 

Yep.  The director told me to call to check in on her the first day she was at the center (which is pretty large), and I didn't bother.  They call me if she's running a fever or if they have a question (which is rare).  I've called them once, to notify them about something specific with her lunch.  

I would hate to find out that each of the parents in DD's class call daily to check in on their kids.  I don't want them taking up the teachers' time and I don't want to feel like other parents don't trust the people to whom we're entrusting our children.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

If my child were in daycare, I would not call.  I agree w/ the helicopter parenting comment (I'm a teacher and see those parents...who walk their child's hot lunch in daily because little Suzie can't eat her cold sandwich or just buy lunch).

My DH has a different work schedule and is the SAH parent w/ DD.  I call 1x/day at the most, mainly to check in with DH because I love him.  I quickly ask "how is the little one?" but that phone call is happening while I'm running to the bathroom and grabbing a snack during recess.

• Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

DD has been in DC since she was 8 weeks old.

I have only called twice when DD was there-both times to see if she was napping because I was home early and wanted to pick her up.

Otherwise I don't call.  If something is wrong she'll call me.  Hearing that she isn't napping or eating will just stress me out at work since I can't do anything about it.

As a former daycare worker (I teach now) you are "that parent" for sure.  I had a parent who called everyday during nap and it was sooooooooooo annoying.  She would ask what was for lunch (didn't read our menu I guess), what he ate, who/what he played with....  I hated answering the phone because I knew it was her.

• Options

I dont post here much, but thought i would share this - My cube neighbor at work used to call daycare 2x/day, every day the kids were there (part time schedule) to check up on her kids. And she stopped in to visit on lunch every day too. I got so sick of hearing the her end of the same conversation twice/day that i vowed i would never be like that. I used to feel so bad for the teachers.  When our daughter was born we decided to use the same daycare- and found out they have video cameras that you can watch online, and they give pretty detailed daily info sheets.  I sooo wanted to ask my coworker why she called 2x per day when she could just watch the live video....

In the 2.5 years DD has been in daycare i have called 4 times  (not including calling  her in sick). I called the very first day, once when she was really miserable in the morning,  the first day without her binky (warning teacher she would not have it for nap, didnt want to say this in front of DD at dropoff and get her upset), and her first day potty training at school with real underwear instead of pull ups.

• Options
    This is a bit much.  DH or I call if there were issues in the AM...he was upset at drop off, not feeling 100%, on medicine, etc.  I would say this equates to less than 1 time per month that we call our DCP and check on our son.  Our DCP is very attentive, but she has other children to watch and hogging her time like this just to check on our child is silly.  Also, I am frankly too busy at work to worry about the minute details of the day at DC.  
  • Options

My DC (center) says to feel free to call, and I doubt they begrudge a two-minute phone call to check on an infant. If you need to call once a day for peace of mind, then go for it.

That said, I wouldn't feel the need to ask what he/she had for lunch and that kind of chit-chat. A simple "how's he doing today?" is all I have asked.

We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not normally.  DS goes to an in home DC provider.  I generally call if he maybe didn't get a lot of sleep or was acting different.  Also sometimes, he stays the night, I will check in with them also.

• Options
    imageiluvmylab:
    imagejamdv3:
    imageesperanza123:

I've never called. 

LOL, I teach HS and I hate this.  When they pull their phone out and tell me their mom is calling, I answer it, tell them their son/daughter is in class and will call them back later.

haha! that's awesome! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I called my first couple days back to work or if there's something going on that I want to check in on, but otherwise I don't call on a daily basis.  I can't imagine that they'd be able to get anything done if all the parents called everyday to check in on their kids. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"