Working Moms

Do you call and check on LO at daycare everyday?

When LO first started DC at 3 months, I think I called twice a day to check on her.  I now call once, just to make sure her day is going well, and its usually the same thing - she took a good nap, ate lunch, etc. I am thinking about stopping calling, since she is getting older and I know she is just fine there, but its also nice knowing shes having a good day.  I was just wondering what others do. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you call and check on LO at daycare everyday?

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    No, I never call. The DC will call me if there is an issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. I did for the first week, but not unless there was specific reason to after that. The daycare provider is busy, I don't want to bother her,and i get a report at the end of the day anyway. If there was something wrong that i need to be made aware of she calls me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope. I called the first day he was there and the first day I went back to work (we  had a 2 day trial period where I was still on leave), and that's it.
  • No way.  I call on his first day at a new place and I call if he's been sick or or something specific is concerning me.  Otherwise, think of how much time it would take out of their day (a day of watching/playing with the kids) to field 1 or 2 calls from EVERY parent.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I don't, but I also spend my whole lunch hour visiting DS everyday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope. I call if I'll be there early or late. DCP will call me or my husband if there's a problem. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope.  Never call.  Every once in a blue moon I'll text - if DS was "off" in the morning and I want to make sure everything is going o.k.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I figured I was the minority and appreciate the responses. To answer the question, why I call, I'm paying them to watch her and its just been my way of connecting to her during the day. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageklc31883:
    I figured I was the minority and appreciate the responses. To answer the question, why I call, I'm paying them to watch her and its just been my way of connecting to her during the day. 

Well yeah but every parent is paying those same people to watch their kid.  How would you feel knowing the teacher spent, let's see, 10 minutes a day talking to each parent (2, 5 minute calls) for 5 kids.  That's almost an hour she's NOT spending watching anyone's kid, kwim?

• imagePPACE1022:

No. I did for the first week, but not unless there was specific reason to after that. The daycare provider is busy, I don't want to bother her,and i get a report at the end of the day anyway. If there was something wrong that i need to be made aware of she calls me.

This!  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not disagreeing wih you ladies, I'm simply stating why. Yes that would take up a big part of their day. But we all have the right to call as many times as we want.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I never call.  If I was the daycare provider, I'd probably be annoyed by the daily calls.  To me, it impliess you don't trust them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
  • I don't call daily but I do talk/text with her a few times a week.  She'll send pics of the girls some days, which I love.

We switched dcps about 2 months ago and I was talking to her daily for about 2 weeks, then it tapered off from there.

• He just started DC a few weeks ago, but I've never called.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same as others, I only call if there is a change to our schedule, like if I'm going to be late or if someone else is picking her up. They are usually pretty good about giving me a run-down at the end of the day, and I know they'll call me if something's wrong (have called when she was sick before), so even though they say to feel free to call and check on her any time, I haven't done this since the first day or two of taking her.
    imageimage
  • Nope, never called to see how's she's doing.  They have called me once when she had a fever, and I called once when I'm running late.  
  • DD started DC at 3months I use to text 2x a day. I only started texting because the Owner texted "Hey, this is ***, text me anytime you have questions" so I did. After 2 months I stopped. Like PP's said I do still call maybe 1 or 2x a week just to check on her, and the call is maybe 30secs long. If there is a problem I know they will call me. I only call if I know she was fussy that morning or the day after she had shots. If you want to call, call. If your DC has a problem they will mention it.
  • imageklc31883:
    I'm not disagreeing wih you ladies, I'm simply stating why. Yes that would take up a big part of their day. But we all have the right to call as many times as we want.
    This tells me that you disagree, though. You keep defending yourself.  I'd bet you that if you tested this and started calling your DCP numerous times, you'd probably find them asking you to stop calling so much! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

imageklc31883:
    I'm not disagreeing wih you ladies, I'm simply stating why. Yes that would take up a big part of their day. But we all have the right to call as many times as we want.
    This tells me that you disagree, though. You keep defending yourself.  I'd bet you that if you tested this and started calling your DCP numerous times, you'd probably find them asking you to stop calling so much! 

Well, I wouldn't call multiple times a day, but if they ever told me to stop calling so much that would be a much bigger problem.  I said I call once a day, and the nature of this post, was to confirm my thoughts that I was probably in the minority for doing this.  My husband typically picks up and drops off, so it was a nice way for me to talk to her teacher and hear that my daughter was having a nice day.  I REALIZE it could be a distraction/annoyance/whatever you want to call it, so that is why I was curious to what others do.  I certainly do not want to cause that, but I stand behind my statment, that as her parent, I CAN call whenever I want to. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• aglennaglenn member
    I call occasionally, like when they first started or when one kid has been sick and I find myself distracted because I'm worrying about how they're doing.  Definitely not every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I called a few times the first week, but never more than once a day.  I also call if LO has been sick or is extra fussy. 

Other than that if I have a question or something I send them an e-mail. 

I'm kind of shocked that someone would call DC every single day past the first few weeks if there wasn't a real issue.

• I have never called.  They call me if there is a problem.  Well I shouldn't say never.  If I just feel the need to check in then I will but it is definitely not every day.
  • imageklc31883:
    I certainly do not want to cause that, but I stand behind my statment, that as her parent, I CAN call whenever I want to. 
    Um... o.k.??? 

You know you're in the minority.  So... I'm lost on why you feel you need to make this "statement" that you COULD call as often as you wanted.  What are you proving to us?

• kms34kms34 member
    No.  I'll text her if I'm curious about something (does his rash/eczema look better) or to tell her something that DH forgot to mention at drop off but I never call just to check in.  She'll contact me if there's an issue.  We chose her and stay with her because we trust her so there's no need to check in.
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • imageklc31883:
    imageEastCoastBride:

imageklc31883:

Well, I wouldn't call multiple times a day, but if they ever told me to stop calling so much that would be a much bigger problem.  I said I call once a day, and the nature of this post, was to confirm my thoughts that I was probably in the minority for doing this.  My husband typically picks up and drops off, so it was a nice way for me to talk to her teacher and hear that my daughter was having a nice day.  I REALIZE it could be a distraction/annoyance/whatever you want to call it, so that is why I was curious to what others do.  I certainly do not want to cause that, but I stand behind my statment, that as her parent, I CAN call whenever I want to. 

Let me try this another way.  If you found out that your DCP was spending an hour or more chatting with parents every day (which means your daughter was getting NO attention at that time) would you be upset?  Would you complain?  Of course it would bother you.  So if your DCP WERE to ask you to cut back on calling so much, you would need to assume that it's because she recognizes that her her focus is on the children, not hand holding parents who feel their daily updates are most important.

• Alex26Alex26 member

Yes, I call everyday, and my DC is my Mom. I just call to see how DS is doing. 

• Yes I do and everyday!!!! The main teacher who takes care of DD is gone by the time I get there in the afternoon. I like to connect with her on a daily basis and not rely on sheet of paper that simply has feedings and diaper changes listed. The ratio is 3 to 1 in the calss. The converstaion I have with them is very quick and really does not take time away from anyone else. I know that almost every mom in the infant room calls at least once . Just another to each his own parenting way.
  • Only on occasions when there has been an actual reason, like LO was acting funny that morning or not eating or something & I wanted to make sure s/he was doing better. I would say I've probably called solely to check in maybe 10 times, if that, in 2 1/2 yrs? 

I'm curious, have they ever told you anything other than she was doing fine & having a good day? B/c honestly I have SO rarely been told at the end of the day that it was anything other than a good day that I'm pretty sure DC teachers just say that unless there is something really up with the child that day (like when mine have bitten each other  or if they were clearly not feeling well I didn't get the great day report but other than that, pretty much always in every room & both facilities it was a good day every day...). I highly doubt they're going to say to you "yeah well she cried for almost an hour awhile ago but we calmed her down & now she's napping". If they do, that's great that they're that honest but if the answer is always 'she's doing well! :):):)' then what are you really getting out of the calls?

• Definitely not calling every day... or ever really.  I agree with what PPs have said.  As a parent, I want to know that the teachers in DS's class are paying attention to him and the other babies, not induldging the nonsense of some mother calling every day just to confirm everything is fine! 

That said, our DC has a policy about when you can call if it's not an emergency.  So that automatically curtails people calling throughout the day. 

If there is anything wrong with LO or something anyone needs answered, they will call immediately.  I feel like, if DS was having a cranky day, as babies/toddlers/kids tend to have now and then, and I called and the teacher told me he was a fussy mess, I would spend the day worrying about him when there was nothing I could do!

• Not at all, I may text if I need something---like when I couldn't find my flash drive and I knew DS had it---she had to ask him, and he told her where I could find it at. But, normally--never.
  • I really cannot believe this turned into this.  I am sorry I am "that parent".  For the record, the phone call lasts 2 minutes, I hear what she ate for lunch, if it was something new I hear if she liked it or not, hear how her nap was for the morning (sleep has always been a struggle for her), and a generally update on what shes done (her teacher shares if she's standing today or working on pulling up).  I honestly would have no problem if I knew the other 2 parents called and checked in as well or even more than once!  But to each their own.  Again, I never meant to cause such a comotion!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageklc31883:
    imageEastCoastBride:

imageklc31883:

Will you continue to do this when she is in school? 

• imagenikki2246:
    Yes I do and everyday!!!! The main teacher who takes care of DD is gone by the time I get there in the afternoon. I like to connect with her on a daily basis and not rely on sheet of paper that simply has feedings and diaper changes listed. The ratio is 3 to 1 in the calss. The converstaion I have with them is very quick and really does not take time away from anyone else. I know that almost every mom in the infant room calls at least once . Just another to each his own parenting way.

this is me exactly, thank you for understanding.

BabyFruit Ticker

• vigurlvigurl member
    No I never call.  They have a live feed camera and I check on LO no less than 5x per day.  YES I am THAT mom and I don't give a damn.
  • imagekristinkoenig:

Definitely not calling every day... or ever really.  I agree with what PPs have said.  As a parent, I want to know that the teachers in DS's class are paying attention to him and the other babies, not induldging the nonsense of some mother calling every day just to confirm everything is fine! 

That said, our DC has a policy about when you can call if it's not an emergency.  So that automatically curtails people calling throughout the day. 

If there is anything wrong with LO or something anyone needs answered, they will call immediately.  I feel like, if DS was having a cranky day, as babies/toddlers/kids tend to have now and then, and I called and the teacher told me he was a fussy mess, I would spend the day worrying about him when there was nothing I could do!

Really? Its indulgent nonsense to check on my baby? wow.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageEllaHella:

imageklc31883:

Really? Its indulgent nonsense to check on my baby? wow.

Yes, in this case it is.  Calling every day to see what your child ate for lunch is indulgent nonsense. 

ETA- I'm sorry if we came across harsh to you.  But this is a little much and becomes unhealthy for LO and you at some point down the road. 

I have to agree...this is sort of like micromanaging your child's daycare. I get your view on it, that it is your child & of course you should know the details but couldn't they just write it on your daily sheet? lunch should be on there anyway I would think.... I guess I'm THAT mom who is disconnected b/c I'm really not getting how having that phone call gives a 'connection' to a child when the teacher could tell/write the same exact info at pickup. 

I wish some DC teachers would chime in  on this ;)

• imageklc31883:
    I really cannot believe this turned into this.  I am sorry I am "that parent".  For the record, the phone call lasts 2 minutes, I hear what she ate for lunch, if it was something new I hear if she liked it or not, hear how her nap was for the morning (sleep has always been a struggle for her), and a generally update on what shes done (her teacher shares if she's standing today or working on pulling up).  I honestly would have no problem if I knew the other 2 parents called and checked in as well or even more than once!  But to each their own.  Again, I never meant to cause such a comotion!

You can find all of this information in her daily sheet when you pick her up, or if DH picks her up you can read it at home.  You really can't wait that long to find out what she did for the day?  I wonder what you will do when she's in school.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • imageklc31883:
    I really cannot believe this turned into this.  I am sorry I am "that parent".  For the record, the phone call lasts 2 minutes, I hear what she ate for lunch, if it was something new I hear if she liked it or not, hear how her nap was for the morning (sleep has always been a struggle for her), and a generally update on what shes done (her teacher shares if she's standing today or working on pulling up).  I honestly would have no problem if I knew the other 2 parents called and checked in as well or even more than once!  But to each their own.  Again, I never meant to cause such a comotion!

Me either. I say if you want to call and check on your baby, do it. I do not call everyday but if I wanted to I would. If the DC had a problem with it I am sure they will tell you.

• imageMammaBear81:

imageklc31883:

You can find all of this information in her daily sheet when you pick her up, or if DH picks her up you can read it at home.  You really can't wait that long to find out what she did for the day?  I wonder what you will do when she's in school.

Oh really, how do you know what's on my daughter's sheet? Because actually, I wouldn't find this info.  Yes, I can wait but have enjoyed hearing about her day, and no I don't plan to check on her in school or probably not even much more which I've now stated many times. 

Its sad to me how aggressive so many of you are in a situation that you don't have all the facts. 

Please stop making a mountain out of a molehill!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"