Infertility Veterans
Options

FET - 1 embryo or 2? Help me decide!

I have two embryos left - one "ok" quality and one "poor" quality.  My doctor only wants me to transfer one, but I don't know what to do.  If I do get pregnant, I don't want to have to go through all this again a few years down the road for the embryo not to survive the thaw....or have a high risk pregnancy over 35 by that point.  My husband is catholic and doesn't want to "waste" any embryos.  So I either transfer both now and deal with the risks of potential twins, or even triplets.  Or I go through this all again in a few years to either have a dud embryo on transfer day or a high risk pregnancy.  I am just having a really hard decision with this for some reason and I have to tell them how many to thaw tomorrow.  Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the rambling...

Re: FET - 1 embryo or 2? Help me decide!

• Options
    Personally I would do both. And based upon nothing medical just because. Good luck 
    ME- 35    DH- 40
    TTC #1 
    IVF#1 w ICSI- 4/20/11 ER, 6 Eggs, 4 Fertilized, 4/25/11 5 day ET, 2 blasts- 5/4- Beta= BFN- No Frosties 

IVF #2 w ICSI-6/21/11 ER, 4 Eggs, 2 Fertilized, 6/24/11 3 day ET 2 embryos- Beta 7/5/11- BFN- No frosties.
    NEW RE
    IUI #1- started 50ius of follistim 1/25, IUI 2/3/12 - BFN
    AMH-0.73- DOR 2/2012

IUI #2- 3/17/12 started 200ius of Follistim , 3/24/12 added ganirelix, 225ius Follistim and 75ius of repronex, IUI- 3/30/12, Beta April 13, 2012-BFN

Appointment with Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM July 18, 2012
    WAITING ON A MIRACLE AT THIS POINT
    AMH tested again 1/2013- 1.4!!!!
    IUI #3- 1/14/13 started 200ius of Follistim, 1/20/13 added menopur and ganirelix, IUI 1/25/13. Positive HPT 2/6/13- Beta #1- 193- BFP!!! 2/8/13-Beta#2-426.6
    2/26 ultrasound #1- TWINS!
    Delivered a healthy beautiful baby boy on 10/17/13 10ls. 2 ounces

TTC #2 
    AMH .75 VERY POOR RESPONDER
    IUI #4 cancelled due to only one egg responding 
    IUI#5 cancelled on CD 10,  (3) follicules were still very small even on 300 IU's of Follistim. Also found fluid in my uterus from C-section scar
    BFP- 8/9/15 
    Beta #1 8/10/15 13DPO-   9.2 (fingers crossed this sticks)
    Beta #2 8/12/15 15DPO   39- progesterone 18 
    Beta #3 8/14/15    111- progesterone 17.5
    Ultrasound August 31- 

PAIF or SAIF Welcome

• Options
    I would transfer both. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    grazygrazy member

I did three FETs. The first two were SETs and one didn't work and one was a chemical pregnancy. For the last one, I transferred two because the quality of both were poor. One took and resulted in DS. 

I would transfer both if I were you because of all the reasons you listed. GL! 

DS born 7.30.11
  • Options

I ditto everyone.

Good luck!!!

• Options

You may want to post on IF; the response there may be better and it's the best place for general questions. I would really appreciate it if you could read our board description as well. If you have any questions about the topic here ask away!

What I would do (and my situation) has no bearing on yours; you already have a child which I think makes a difference in your decision making versus mine, not to mention my 18 failed ET'd. I have no idea who you are but it sounds like your tolerance for multiples and for a high risk pregnancy is very low no matter the chances of that happening.

According to your argument, and assuming that health is your primary concern, I think you should transfer one. HOM are a health risk at any age with consequences that could last a lifetime; consult a MFM to see what poses higher risks for you but if you're healthy then I suspect that HOM is a greater concern than being barely AMA. Selective reduction is not an option for your husband. The remaining frozen embryo isn't "wasted," especially when you'd transfer it later down the road; moot point. Risking the emotional burden of a cancelled cycle seems to be the lesser of your evils given what you state above. 

+++
  • Options
    2bePLC2bePLC member

I am in a similar situation.  I have a FET scheduled for next week.  I am also Catholic and as a reslt struggled with IVF in general and of course the whole "throwing" away embryos things.  That being said, I have 3 frozen, 2 are rated as B's and 1 is a C.  My RE does not think the C will make it and his concern was having me pay to continue to store the one since I am not going to discard it.  His opinion was that you pay to store then go through this again and it does not make it through thaw.

We have decided to thaw all 3.  I am praying that at least 2 make it and that I am blessed with at least one.  I do have a fear of multiples but I also have a fear of walking away empty handed.  For my fresh cycle, I transferred 2 and ended up with a single pregnancy. 

Not sure your issue, but mine is getting pregnant (MFI) not staying pregnant so that could influence your decision as well.

Either way, I wish you the best!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Even with one 4AB quality we were told we had a 0.01% of twins and only a 10-15% chance the FET would work (it didn't). I'd go with putting them both in and going from there, especially if you don't want any left behind in the long run and if you would consider doing another fresh cycle should this not work, which hopefully isn't the case. 

Best of luck!  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"