Baby Showers
Options

Tell me about you shower experience

Hi Ladies,

I haven't been to a baby shower in umpteen years and just wanted some input from other moms/ moms to be. My BF is hosting but asking me for a lot of input. So with my lack of experience I'm just wondering what other moms are looking forward  to most &/or least at there own shower (or liked/disliked if it has already happened)?

Also as a guest at other people's showers what did you like most or least? Was there anything different that would have allowed you enjoy the shower more as the guest of honor (mom to be) or when you were a guest? TIA!!!

God and I define my success. It is not what is commonly imagined. A.W. Anniversary
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tell me about you shower experience

• Options
    Every shower is just a variation on a theme and that's perfectly fine. Don't stress yourself out trying to be unique.  People go to a shower expecting to eat cake, visit with friends, watch the mom open presents and (more than likely) play boring games. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

what other moms are looking forward  to most &/or least at there own shower (or liked/disliked if it has already happened)

The food! I was so excited over food lol. And just being around friends and family. That was the most important to me. And the least...nothing I had a good time. 

Also as a guest at other people's showers what did you like most or least?

I have only attended one shower...well 2 but I am complaining about the second shower.  The first shower was fun...nothing to complain about. Great food the mom to be was very talkative with everyone. The second shower there was WAY too many people. I felt like I was invited for the gift instead of my company. She barely talked to me. Needless to say we don't talk at all now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My favorite shower was one where there was lots of movement, and plenty to do - but not an overwhelming amount of "work". The MTB was walking around talking to people, and most people were talking and mingling. We made onesies, and had food, and then after everyone had eaten the MTB and FTB opened gifts (it was nice that they both did it because it went faster), and then we had cake. It wasn't fancy or expensive but it was lovely, relaxing, and fun. There were about 35 guests.

Really large showers where there are tons of gifts and the entire time is spent watching the MTB open gifts and because there are so many she does not have time to really look at or think about any of the gifts. Those showers are not fun. One I went to had 60 guests and quite frankly it was just too many. Everything was too spread out, the MTB was visibly exhausted and there were so many gifts that it took hours. There was actually a break in the middle of gift opening for cake. It was exhausting.

TTC since July 2009 ^Rosemary^ May 7, 2010 Holding my rainbow, Beatrix, since August 21, 2012
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I guess it really is all about keeping it personable & personal so everyone can enjoy! 
    God and I define my success. It is not what is commonly imagined. A.W. Anniversary
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My shower was last weekend and I thought my two friends did a phenominal job!  Here is why:

The homemade brunch they cooked was amazing.  It made showing up to the party worth it just for a good meal.

We only played two games: one short, one personal.  First game was a quiz where I wrote questions (and I obviously new the answers) and the guest who got the most correct won a prize.  The Q&A led to funny stories around how I found out I was pregnant, how I told DH, and a coupld other things.  The other game was the strong one where everyone cuts a piece of string that they think is the circumference of my belly.  Then I went around so they could measure their string around me and the person who came the closest won a gift.  We left the cheeiser games and the "make a hat out of the gift packing ribbon" out.

They had just enough theme decorations to make it a point that there was a theme but did not go overboard with decor. 

They did the timing VERY well throughout the party.  Eat and mingle for 1 hour.  Announce games - everyone cut their string and got a quiz to fill out.   Measured string and told stories around quiz answers. Announce 15 minutes to cake - bathroom break for guests.  Served cake while I opened gifts.  Party was not quite 3 hours. 

Honestly, as a guest I know that it is really up to me to mingle so those that have the best times are those comfortable in groups where they may not know people very well. At my shower I spent more time talking to those who didn't know people when I saw my group of 5 friends who know each other well chatting it up.  But then I realized after that I didn't really get to talk to those 5 at all! Which was rude on my part, more than anything. 

Guests don't like being put in uncomfortable situations.  At one shower the game was to EAT baby food and guess the flavor.  it was positively revolting.  I don't mean to sound melodramtic...it was seriously disgusting and made me sort of regret showing up at all...except that I wanted to be there for my friend, of course.

In the end, the generosity of gifts was positively overwhelming.  I really don't know how I can ever repay our friends...  My frends that hosted worked their tail off.  Thankfully they are both experienced party throwers but the food alone was outstanding.  They clearly knew what they were doing so even though they asked for my opinion on lots of things I gently put the decision making back on to them and told them that I trusted their judgement and was looking forward to being suprised by how things came together.  One host comments that I was really easy going and easy to throw the shower for.  I don't know if she was just being nice, but I really did try to give them direction (like offering up the theme that followed my nursery) when they asked but to avoided placing any demands or requests (expect that I wanted a signature frame which I provided) on them.  And I gave them a guest list that I felt was long, ~40, knowing that only about half would show - they were fine with that and at a final count of 19 it was perfect.

• Options
    Hate having to play games (at any kind of shower).
    Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm lazy so instead of typing out my response, here's my blog post about my shower.  https://admeyeringlife.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/best-baby-shower-ever/

I loved my shower and honestly couldn't think of a single thing I disliked.  Traditional showers, however, are generally pretty lame IMO. 

• Options
    I liked that the games at my shower were quick and easy, nothing horrible or drawn out. I'm not a game person, but the people who threw my shower were so I rolled with it. I also liked that people were visiting while I opened gifts. I've been to showers where everyone just sits quietly and it's sooo awkward. The hostesses at my shower worked their butts off and were pretty much constantly circulating and offering drink refills, clearing plates, talking to guests...I had a guest tell me that SHE felt pampered at my shower because of all the attention from the hostesses. 
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    I best like showers that "move along" and are organized.  I really dislike those that don't do "anything" until 30 minutes (or more) into it.  I guess they are waiting for more guests or sometimes they have no games to play and expect people to just chit chat.  It really doesn't bother me if the MTB doesn't make her rounds to talk to every guests but most of them do.  I've been to some really big showers (and hosted them) of 60 or more people.  The MTB's have been able to speak to each person for a short while - not like anyone can have a lengthy conversation obviously.  I like there to be a couple of games.  I also like when there is low music playing in the background during gift opening time.  Gift BINGO is Ok duirng that time as is eating the cake.  I especially enjoy showers where the MTB doesn't dilly-dally opening the gifts (being careful not to rip paper, etc) and when she has help (someone gives her the gift and another takes it away along with the wrapping paper. 
  • Options

My shower was at a winery, which everyone thought was totally awesome, until the hostess got completely ripped, said some very offensive and racist things, and then smashed the cake.

Good times.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"