Single Parents

Living situations

Ok, so I have a question for our single parents...your living situations. 

I know that many of us (most of us possibly) ended up not only single parents, but financially swimming (ok more like drowning) at the same time.  And we all know, kids are expensive.  Which leads many of us to have living situations that are possibly less than our ideal. 

Pretty much most all my monthly income goes to daycare...yes I work to pay daycare, not pay daycare to work, I have a great job and good pay, but daycare is expensive...so I have little left for rent.  I can't afford a two bedroom, so little lady and I share a bedroom.  It is a pretty good situation, a nice place, nice location, and a really big bedroom, so she gets half and I get half.  It works out nicely with her being only 11 months.  But clearly, this won't work forever.

My questions, one, what do you ladies do?  And two, how long do you think it is do-able for us to share a room?  My initial thought was by age two I would need to figure out something else, but as we quickly approach one, I think I might be able to stretch it to age three.  Just wanted some input from others out there. 

Re: Living situations

• Right now I'm living with my mom and step dad. My little brother also lives with us, and they turned their 4th bedroom into a tv room when they built their house a few years ago. Which means little one and I will be sharing a room for awhile, I have no problem with it at all. However, I hope to be out of my parents house and into my own apartment by 6-8 months. I plan on having little to no help from my STBXH so this might be quite difficult.

I moved out of me and my STBXH's house in a huge hurry and didn't have many options for living situations due to not have been working for most of my joke of a marriage.

Have you looked into your options for daycare? I'm not sure of your custody/visitation/child support situation but if your babies dad is paying you child support you might be able to get the court to also have him help you with half of the daycare bill as well. I know a lot of situation where that is the case. 

imageimage Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker :.:.Dear baby boy, No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.:.:
  • I'm at my parents' house until I can find a better paying job. I don't depend on CS because it's not a reliable income source in my experience.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageFyreFlyeRush:

I'm at my parents' house until I can find a better paying job. I don't depend on CS because it's not a reliable income source in my experience.  

I feel the same regarding CS, which is why I live on what I make and anything else I may get is a bonus. 

• imageLightTouch:
    imageFyreFlyeRush:

I'm at my parents' house until I can find a better paying job. I don't depend on CS because it's not a reliable income source in my experience.  

I feel the same regarding CS, which is why I live on what I make and anything else I may get is a bonus. 

Exactly!!! It's a trip to the movies, dinner at DDs favorite restaurant, stuff I couldn't do or get without saving for. Surprises.  

• My only advice is perspective. My mom slept on the pull out couch for years so that my sister and I could share the bedroom. She would tell us we were lucky to have a room because her grandparents grew up with 7 kids in one bed, next to their parents bed- walk up studio in nyc.
  • Before I got married I had already bought my own house. Before I got divorced I had lost my job and was staying home with DS full time. It sucks to admit, and makes me feel about ____this low_____ , but until I recently found another job a couple months ago my parents were paying all my household bills in order for me not to lose mine and DS's home. I am so lucky and grateful that they were willing and able to do that fro us. Although I will spend the rest of my life trying to pay them back, both financially and figuratively. Now that I have a job I am able to pay our bills, and I have a wonderful BF that helps out with extra stuff like outings, dinner, and he spoils DS with whatever toys he wants

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"