Special Needs

Any LOs with a limb difference?

My 17 month old DS was born with a shortened right femur. Just wondering if there are any moms with similar situations.

Re: Any LOs with a limb difference?

• Welcome! My son is almost 10 months and was born with Amniotic Band Syndrome. It affected both of his feet and one of his hands. He will be having surgery this summer to release one of the bands and to hopefully separate some fingers.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hi, thanks so much for responding! I imagine surgery can be something scary and exciting at the same time. Hoping your LO has an excellent outcome. We plan to have a leg lengthening surgery once DS is older, probably around 5 or 6. Are you a member of any other, more limb specific, message boards?
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! We are ready to get it over with, it's been on the back of our minds all year. I am not actually a part of any other communities, but a friend of mine gave me a couple of great blogs and Facebook pages to follow. Most of them are upper limb differences, but really the message is the same! I will pm you the links :) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DD's left leg is >1cm shorter than her right. She wears AFOs and has a lift on her left shoe. She's not walking yet which I think is a combination of her orthopedic issues and cognitive issues. What is the limb difference for your son? Is he walking yet? Does he have a lot of challenges with balance?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son's right leg is currently ~4 cm shorter, doctors expect the difference to be 9 - 10 cm shorter at full growth. He starting walking at a year and we got him a 2.5 cm lift at 13 months. He walks, runs, jumps etc with no apparent difficulty. Balance doesn't seem to be an issue; we think he just learned how to compensate and adjust his gait depending on whether he's wearing his lift. That may change as the discrepancy increases though. What is an AFO? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"