Special Needs

FYI re: NJ EI

The state of NJ is instituting annual reviews by the initial evaluation teams (this went into effect a month ago) and the criteria to qualify for Early Intervention in the state has changed.

I don't have the exact information, but they are no longer using a 33% delay in one area or a 25% delay in two any longer. They are going by a bell cure and the delay(s) need to be more than -1.5 in 2 areas (don't remember the deviation for just one). I was told that, if these standards had been in effect last year, my DS would NOT have qualified?and he had qualified in 3 areas: 25% in 2 and 33% in one.

Per this annual review, which was this afternoon, my DS no longer qualifies for services. I expected that, as he seems to be caught up in most areas. I don't think he'll qualify for the public preschool either, though I am having him evaluated by our school district.

As soon as I receive my copy of the paperwork, I'll share info on the changes here. But I do know that the next step is a meeting once his therapists give their annual report?which is not due until the end of July, so he will likely stay in EI through the end of his IFSP.  

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: FYI re: NJ EI

• Just to add to this... (as a fellow NJ momma) NJ is no longer adjusting ages for services for preemies, which shakes things up even further.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you think services would help your son, definitely have him evaluated by the child study team for public school.  I don't know what your district is like, but my friend's daughter has Tourette's and her delays were not significant or obvious and she did not qualify for EI.  She went for private OT to help with her fine motor and sensory issues.  Right now she is being evaluated for services by the child study team even though she didn't qualify for EI and they are evaluating her for speech as well just in case.  I don't know what she will qualify for yet, but sometimes, there are differences between having a delay and functioning appropriately in school, so don't rule out the possibility of services.  good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • wow - thanks for this info.  dd has EI for both PT and OT once a week and it has helped her tremendously so i'd be really disappointed. keep us posted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"