Health & Exercise
Options

? for breastfeeding running mamas

I will be 3 weeks post partum next week and I am feeling really good and am ready to try to resume exercise next week.  I have not run since about 6 months pregnant due to being put on bed rest.  I am bf and am wondering what kind of sports bra/support other bf moms are using?  Do you pump before you run?  I have an abundant supply and am wondering how this is going to work!  I get pretty hard/sore about an hour after feeding.

TIA

Re: ? for breastfeeding running mamas

• Options

I am due in July, and I hope to start running again in September.  In my breastfeeding class that I took recently, they recommended nursing before exercising.  The reason was because the lactic acid that builds up during exercise can create a temporary sour taste in the milk which the baby might not like.  I imagine it also helps you feel better not to have swollen breasts.

I'm not sure about the bra, but I'm planning on getting a new sports bra when I buy my nursing bras (about three weeks after delivery).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    When I was nursing my son, I'd nurse just before going for a run. The sports bra that I used (and loved) was the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. It was supportive and the shoulder straps have velcro in front which is easy to undo for a session. As for your supply situation, it will level off soon. Take advantage of it now and stock that freezer. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ditto other moms, nurse right before exercising. when i was nursing DD, I'd wear 2 or sometimes even 3 sports bras. gotta pack those puppies in.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I started running again at 4 weeks PP.   I would (and still do) either nurse or pump before a run. 

As far as sports bras, the 1st few weeks I would wear 2 bras at once.  After things regulated a little, I got some really good supportive sports bras that I still use while I am running now a year later.  Check out moving comfort.

• Options
    I thought you had to wait 6 weeks to start exercising again?
  • Options

imageavasmummy:
    I thought you had to wait 6 weeks to start exercising again?

That is just the recommended wait time. If you had an easy delivery and are feeling fine for most women there is no reason to wait.

I even told my midwife during discharge at the hospital if I was feeling up to it I planned to start exercising ASAP, she had no objections.  I was at the gym at 2.5 weeks PP and running at 4.5 weeks. 

• Options

That's about when I went back to exercising/running. 

Yes, I always nursed, and sometimes also pumped after the nursing before a workout.  It had everything to do with comfort.  Be advised though that for many months the longest workouts I was getting in were about 30 minutes, for many reasons. 

Yes, the Fiona by Moving Comfort is absolutely the best option I could find. 

And while it is possible that a baby would respond to the sour taste from the lactic acid, mine did not.  Partly, I believe that it was just part of his life nearly daily from so early.  Also, PP is right--freeze that milk!  You'll be glad you did. 

HTH!  GL!

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"