Parenting after 35

Introduction and a couple of questions

Hi everyone,

I am 36 and the mom of the cutest (ok, I know I'm biased :) ) little girl ever.  Z is 15 months old.

Z has had a yeast rash for over a month now.  Called the pedi and was told to alternate Lotramin AF and Bacitracin at diaper changes along with diaper free time.  This seems to almost clear it up, but doesn't seem to quite clear it entirely.  Every time it I think we've finally beaten it, it comes back in a day to two.  Any suggestions?  At her 15 month appointment, she still wasn't walking.  He said we could wait until 18 months to see if she gets there before starting occupational therapy.  Anyone have a similar situation and end up getting the therapy?  I know odds are she'll  start walking any day now, but I'm wondering what a therapist might do with her.

Thanks!

Re: Introduction and a couple of questions

• Hi and welcome and congrats!

I have no knowledge of the rash problem.. we've been pretty lucky there.  But I've always heard that plain ole' naked time is the best cure.

As for walking, my kid crawled forever and literally stood up one day and started walking.  Then running.  He was about 16 months and I always thought that was about average.   You also have an only/first child, and they're sometimes a bit behind in that department since they don't have older siblings to teach them new tricks. 

Unless she has other developmental issues that are causing you concern, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.  She'll get to it eventually, then you'll wish she'd slow down!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Welcome.  My Son had a rash about two months ago that took 2 weeks to clear completely (we had to be obsessive about ointment). As for the walking if you think something is wrong try the Early Intevention.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the early intervention.  Depending on the state, you usually do not need a referral and it is either free or very low cost.  If you do not need them, they will let you know after the evaluation.

On the yeast infection, have you tried yogurt? 

1. Yogurt

• Yogurt contains natural cultures of bacteria that can help treat a yeast infection. For a vaginal yeast infection, dip a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it normally. This can be done twice a day. For yeast infections on other parts of the body, coat the affected area with plain yogurt and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day. Be sure not to use any flavored or sweetened yogurt.

Read more: Holistic Remedies for Yeast Infection | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/way_5593361_holistic-remedies-yeast-infection.html#ixzz1ww0eUPkm

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to try the yogurt, it certainly can't do any worse then the OTC stuff.  I will look into early intervention.
  • Welcome! Look into EI if you feel like it's the right time - I met a little boy at the playground last week who was 18 mo and had been walking for a month. I have such a skewed view on these things, though, because I'm surrounded by preemie math and we're always big fans of EI! Let us know how you're doing!
  • For the rash - take your LO to a pediatric dermatologist.  My LO struggled with a misdiagnosed  yeast infection. Once he was on the correct prescription medicine it cleared up so quickly and never came back.  The pediatrician didn't make the right recommendation and neither did a regular dermatologist.  It took a pediatric dermatologist to make the correct diagnosis and to write the correct Rx.  I spent $300 on the wrong medicines before it got sorted out.  Ouch!

As far as the walking goes - I think that the range of normal spans to 18 months.  I saw that someone else said to check out early intervention.  I am about to do the same thing for my LO who hasn't spoken yet and he is 17 months.  Ealry intervention can do wonders.  Good luck!

• Hi and welcome! I second the yogurt for the rash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"