Special Needs

Autism question-too early?

Hi ladies, my LO is going on 12 wks on Friday. My hub and I are a little concerned something is wrong, of course we will discuss with our PED at her next appointment. Im not sure if its too early to show signs of autism, but here are some of our concerns. One is she hates being held now-this has been going on for 3 weeks now. She arches her back, looks away and starts balling. The only time she doesnt mind is when she is really sleepy and being burped. She is content laying on her own in her pnp, swing, crib for the most part. Most recently I am now seeing that when she is lying on her back she is starting to arch it nonstop. Finally, she just doesnt seem like a "happy" baby. While she smiles-its not often, and again she is just cranky a lot.

She does look into our eyes when feeding, is "playing" with her toys....

Again, Ill be speaking to our ped, but just wondering if its too early to see signs of autism.

Thank you!

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!

Re: Autism question-too early?

• I'd ask your doctor about reflux.  My younger son had it, and he would arch is back in pain a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agree with PP, sounds a lot like reflux to me. Ask your pedi about looking into it, reflux makes kids miserable!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • This sounds more like reflux. I would try prevacid (zantac did nothing for us).
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I agree with all PP. It is not a sign of autism.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That sounds like reflux (or silent reflux) to me.
  • I agree with PPs that it's too early to look for autism.  I do know, though, how hard it is when your new baby is upset and you can't figure out why.  If you find yourself feeling sad, worried or frustrated a lot, please consider talking with your doctor about PPD/PPA.  I had a hard time connecting with LO at that age, but at that point, it was me, not him.  Good luck to you, and (((hugs))).

• Thank you ladies, I appreciate your response. I feel like our LO doesnt like us with hating to be held :(

Hopefully the PED has some additional insight for us!

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • It sounds like reflux, but it is good that you have your eyes open and are looking to help your child any way you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"