Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Breath Holding Spells

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with breath holding spells.  My little guy (ten months)  in the last three days has done it twice.  The first time he got his finger pinched and let out one quick cry and took one gigantic breath, my husband picked him and waited and he never started crying again.  He turned blue and literally passed out right in front of us.  We called 911 and they came out to the house and said he was fine, just to follow up with the doctor.  The next day I was putting him in his carseat and he almost did it again.  He started to cry and took a big breath and just held it in and his face turned blue.  He never actually passed out that time.  I took him to Urgent Care and they diagnosed it as breath holding spells and said that it was completely normal and that he will grow out of it.  Talked to his doctor today and she pretty much told me the same thing.  She just said if it started to happen frequently, as in every day, that we will need to schedule an EEG to get his heart checked out. 

I have never heard of anything like this, and both situations have been absolutely terrifying.  Just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in dealing with this.  Thanks!

Re: Breath Holding Spells

• Options
    It's fairly normal.  DD doesn't do it, but I know that babies / toddlers will.  There's not much you can do.  Although it's scary, the worst that will happen is that LO will pass out and start breathing again.  But I would keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    My son is 10 1/2 months old and he does this too- he's never passed out, but my mom suggested that we blow on his face when he holds his breath.  I think it breaks his concentration and he starts breathing and crying again.  I hope that helps!!  And I hope it's not a bad thing to do- I haven't talked to the doctor about it.....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesoftball1603:
    My son is 10 1/2 months old and he does this too- he's never passed out, but my mom suggested that we blow on his face when he holds his breath.  I think it breaks his concentration and he starts breathing and crying again.  I hope that helps!!  And I hope it's not a bad thing to do- I haven't talked to the doctor about it.....

I used to watch a kid who did this.  BLOW IN THEIR FACE.  Works every time. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've noticed that she will do it when she is having a big cry because she hurt herself.  I have also heard a bout lightly blowing in their face.

• Options

I have never heard of this, but boy is that scary! 

When my LO falls or hurts himself he pauses and takes a deep breath and then usually lets out a huge cry.  That is scary.  Hang in there :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My oldest would do it, they do out grow, but it does freak you out. It's a control thing they can do it and there's not much you can do about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"