Pre-School and Daycare

Eye glasses in preschool?

Does anyone's kid have glasses here? DS had an eye exam after a teacher recommended it, and the doctor said he's farsighted. I'll probably get a second opinion from a pediatric opthamologist (we just went to Target Optical). I'd rather hold off until kindy unless there was some reason glasses would make a drastic improvement in his sight. His script is 2.0 whatever that means..

Re: Eye glasses in preschool?

• My kids don't but I wouldn't hesitate if they needed them.

Why would you want you child to have less than perfect vision if you could correct it easily with glasses?

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • KL777KL777 member
    My son's preschool classmate has glasses.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with PPs. Get a 2nd opinion if you want, but if LO needs them, why put it off? He needs to see just as much as you do, so why deny him his vision, especially when glasses are an easy fix. And getting them would probably improve various aspects of his life and activities, not just school-related stuff. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks. I was hoping to hold off until open enrollment to get him on our vision insurance. All I can imagine is a rambunctious little boy destroying or losing a dozen pairs of glasses a year! That's why I wondered about a mild case of far-sightedness and a young child. I am mildly-far sighted and didn't get glasses until I was in law school.
  • My nephew has had glasses since he was about 2.  He has a lazy eye and had to have surgery to correct it.  He still have glasses and just graduated from preschool.  He doesn't have any issues, other than they are always dirt when we see him.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• The glasses they make now for little kids are pretty indestructible.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Sorry but if your child needs glasses to see, why would you not get them for him.  I think I am missing something here?  I know lots of kids who have started wearing glasses in preschool and its really not a big deal at all and it is helpful for a child to actually be able to see clearly when they are playing, coloring, etc.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • DD1 has had glasses for about a year now. She has a wandering eye so glasses pull her eye back out so she uses it. Little did I know, until about a month ago when we saw a vision therapist, that she was basically seeing double at times. The difference in her personality and confidence is amazing since she started regularly wearing her glasses and doing vision therapy.

I would definitely see a pediatric ophthalmologist. We went to a regular one who eventually sent us to a pediatric one. Obviously they're much more aware to children behaviors and issues and will be better able to work with your DS and find the real prescription/problem.

As far as breaking them, etc...we have a 1 yr warranty on them. We've had to replace the frames once (DD2 broke them) and the lenses just once for a scratch. DD is VERY good about wearing them now. I think once they realize how much it helps, there's not a problem. I know 3 kids in our extended family who wear glasses and not one has had a problem w/ kids breaking and not wearing them. Sure it happens, but it's not nearly as bad as I had imagined ;)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • DS2 (2.5yr) has been wearing them since 10mos old.

I wouldn't hold off on glasses. Get the 2nd opinion if you feel it is necessary but don't hold off on it.

• Our pediatric ophthalmologist recimmended holding off when he saw DS at 4 but I think he "only" needed 1.25 or 1.5, I will go back at the end of summer before Kindergarten. He said that DS could see well enough without them and would only gain 2 lines on a vision test so he did not thing the gain was enough to make a 4yo wear them.  I would think at 2.0 it would be justified especially if a teacher is voicing a concern but I agree with seeing a Pediatric Opthamologist. 
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • ss+elss+el member

imageMirandaHobbes:
    I was hoping to hold off until open enrollment to get him on our vision insurance. All I can imagine is a rambunctious little boy destroying or losing a dozen pairs of glasses a year!

Do you have an America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses in your area? Though the style selection is limited at this price, you really can get two pairs for $69.95. I got my latest glasses there and they are just as good as the ones I used to pay $400 for.

• imageLittlejen22:
    Our pediatric ophthalmologist recimmended holding off when he saw DS at 4 but I think he "only" needed 1.25 or 1.5, I will go back at the end of summer before Kindergarten. He said that DS could see well enough without them and would only gain 2 lines on a vision test so he did not thing the gain was enough to make a 4yo wear them.  I would think at 2.0 it would be justified especially if a teacher is voicing a concern but I agree with seeing a Pediatric Opthamologist. 

Thank you- this is exactly what I was wondering about. We're seeing the pediatric opthalmologist next week for a more detailed exam. The other side to this is that DS has autism and it was very difficult for him to communicate during the exam- I should have skipped the optometrist and went straight to opthalmologist but didn't know any better at the time.

• Another vote for a pedi optho.  I was AMAZED at the tools they had for testing children who couldn't read or articulate well so don't sweat that part - they know what they're doing!

As a Mom of a kid who's been wearing glasses since he was 2 I'll share this.   The way it was explained to me the brain is still developing synapses to the eyes from birth to age 6.  Once you hit age 6 you can correct but not improve vision without surgery.

By putting my guy in glasses young and patching his stronger eye to make his weaker eye (not cross eyed - just worse vision) work harder we've actually seen his vision improve.   

I get your hesitations regarding age and care of glasses.  Imagine having a 2 yr old in glasses!  I recommend getting the 1 year warranty.  We replaces lenses 4 times during that first year and the frames once.  Who knew a kid smashed his face so much?  The warranty paid for itself several times over.

I personally think that the earlier you start the better because they're just a part of who he is.  He doesn't remember a time without them, KWIM?  

If you end up with glasses I can help with some tips to help him become used to them.   My eye doc gave me some great ideas for how to help in those first few days as he adjusted.  Kids with worse vision actually tend to adjust faster according to them because they see such an improvement that they prefer having the glasses on.  Guys with mild problems like mine (more mild than your guy) may take a bit more work up front.

I have to tell you that we get TONZ of compliments on him and his glasses.  Little kids in glasses are CUTE!!!  It's actually those awkward pre-teen years that I worry more about.

My older child actually really really really wanted glasses when his younger brother got them because they brought him so much (positive) attention.

When I first found out he would need them I was so upset.  I didn't want him to be teased.  I didn't want him to have something like glasses to be responsible for at such a young age.

He's done amazingly well.  They only come off at bath/bed time and for water play.  He's at an age now where he understands to not put the lenses facing down and takes remarkably good care of them.  He actually told ME the other day that I'd put my sunglasses down facing the wrong direction.

It's a lot to take in at first but it's no where near as bad as I imagined it would be.

Feel free to page me if you'd like to talk more if they do end up recommending glasses for him. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • byrne15byrne15 member

I got glasses when I was 3 years old (I am far-sighted as well).

I am thankful my parents got me glasses since it was way less common back then.  I remember hating my glasses, but knowing I liked being able to see better.

ETA:  I went to a pediatric eye DR and I woudl recommend that as well.  He didn't over correct with my glasses and I actually stopped needing them in middle school/high school.  I started wearing glasses again in college, but just because my eyes were changing.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• One of DS's classmates has them.  I would get them if needed, especially it he's farsighted and at the age where he'll be look at letters and doing art work.  I was nearsighted in 1st grade, but it probably started earlier.  I could not see the board at all, even when I squinted in the 1st grade.  I'm not sure how I got by without anyone noticing.  But it definitely made things harder!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagehowleyshell:

Another vote for a pedi optho.  I was AMAZED at the tools they had for testing children who couldn't read or articulate well so don't sweat that part - they know what they're doing!

As a Mom of a kid who's been wearing glasses since he was 2 I'll share this.   The way it was explained to me the brain is still developing synapses to the eyes from birth to age 6.  Once you hit age 6 you can correct but not improve vision without surgery.

By putting my guy in glasses young and patching his stronger eye to make his weaker eye (not cross eyed - just worse vision) work harder we've actually seen his vision improve.   

I get your hesitations regarding age and care of glasses.  Imagine having a 2 yr old in glasses!  I recommend getting the 1 year warranty.  We replaces lenses 4 times during that first year and the frames once.  Who knew a kid smashed his face so much?  The warranty paid for itself several times over.

I personally think that the earlier you start the better because they're just a part of who he is.  He doesn't remember a time without them, KWIM?  

If you end up with glasses I can help with some tips to help him become used to them.   My eye doc gave me some great ideas for how to help in those first few days as he adjusted.  Kids with worse vision actually tend to adjust faster according to them because they see such an improvement that they prefer having the glasses on.  Guys with mild problems like mine (more mild than your guy) may take a bit more work up front.

I have to tell you that we get TONZ of compliments on him and his glasses.  Little kids in glasses are CUTE!!!  It's actually those awkward pre-teen years that I worry more about.

My older child actually really really really wanted glasses when his younger brother got them because they brought him so much (positive) attention.

When I first found out he would need them I was so upset.  I didn't want him to be teased.  I didn't want him to have something like glasses to be responsible for at such a young age.

He's done amazingly well.  They only come off at bath/bed time and for water play.  He's at an age now where he understands to not put the lenses facing down and takes remarkably good care of them.  He actually told ME the other day that I'd put my sunglasses down facing the wrong direction.

It's a lot to take in at first but it's no where near as bad as I imagined it would be.

Feel free to page me if you'd like to talk more if they do end up recommending glasses for him. 

Thank you VERY much for your insight! I feel rather foolish now that I didn't take DS to the pediatric optho at the get-go- I guess I was in denial that he needed them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"