1st Trimester

Polyethylene Glycol in Your Prenatal Vitamin (TMI Alert)

Hey, everyone!

I haven't bumped in awhile (been crazy busy with school and work) but thought that this question needed some insight.

I have have had consistent diarrhea several times a day since I found out I was pregnant...so basically for 5 weeks straight. My midwife said this wasn't normal and to just try to take it easy on my food choices. I have done this with no relief and just haven't been feeling well.

So, I researched on Dr. Google today and noticed that polyethylene glycol, the active ingredient in Miralax, is often present in prenatals. I take Target's OTC prenatal and it was listed as an ingredient. SO, I've been basically giving myself a stool softener the last several weeks.

With that said, do any of you take a polyethylene glycol-free prenatal vitamin? Any brand suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope you're all well Big Smile.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Polyethylene Glycol in Your Prenatal Vitamin (TMI Alert)

• I am using Vitafusion prenatal... They are gummies and they taste awesome.. Also That ingredient is not in them

Link 

https://www.amazon.com/Vitafusion-Prenatal-Gummy-Vitamins-90-Count/dp/B003IP8BC8

• They do that because most prenatals back you up big time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ive been taking nature's choice. you can find it almost anywhere. its really inexpensive and doesnt contain polyethylene glycol. it also doesnt make me feel sick like other prenatal vitamins do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:

They do that because most prenatals back you up big time.

True story 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • mlchillmlchill member
    imagemabenner1:

Good idea in theory Tongue Tied. I know most women complain about being constipated, but, I haven't had an opportunity to have that symptom. Running to the bathroom that many times a day is not fun!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 2u2wow2u2wow member

imagemonkey121712:
    ive been taking nature's choice. you can find it almost anywhere. its really inexpensive and doesnt contain polyethylene glycol. it also doesnt make me feel sick like other prenatal vitamins do.

it's the iron that makes you feel sick...don't take them on an empty stomach 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsgabus:

I am using Vitafusion prenatal... They are gummies and they taste awesome.. Also That ingredient is not in them

Link 

https://www.amazon.com/Vitafusion-Prenatal-Gummy-Vitamins-90-Count/dp/B003IP8BC8

That's what I take too, but maybe I should switch to your kind cause I have the opposite problem and it's getting realllllly annoying. It's hard to eat when I'm so backed up. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • mbredinmbredin member
    I'm going to run upstairs and check if my prenatals have miralax because I need it! I have the complete opposite problem!
  • fishy24fishy24 member

I have been taking them as well- since before I got my BFP.  I didn't notice any issues before I realized I was pregnant (and was probably on them for 2-3 months before), but since I've known I was pregnant, I have had serious constipation.  However, I do notice that my stool is rather soft most times (but not too soft. yuck).  So I've been avoiding taking any constipation medicine (stool softeners).. ugh.  Doc said to try Milk of Magnesia at night. 

So, I don't think the Target OTC's are going to have that much of a laxative effect unless you are particularly sensitive to that ingredient. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • KiraH28KiraH28 member
    imageLaurelBee:
    imagemabenner1:

True story 

This. And I was having this issue in the beginning (diarrhea), but constipation soon took over, especially because I'm on Zofran. 

Married 1/28/11 
    DD #1 born 11/28/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"