Infertility
Options

Menopur is a B***H!

Is it just me? Out of all the injections am taking menopur is the worst. It's so dam painful. From inserting it to even more pain when medicine gets injected. Am so over this process.  Lupron n gonal f I don't feel a thing. It's morning and am already dreading tonight 's injection. Last night I actually broke down in tears b/c I can't take this anymore. 
Me:30, DH:33 TTC : 2010 Dx: March 2011 Azoospermia. TESE Feb 2012, Sperm was found. Me:All Blood work are good. Tubes are clear. IVF w/ICSI May 2012, 5/27/12: 12R, 3F, 5/30/12: 2T HPT:6/9/12 = BFP! Beta#1 6/10/12 = BFP!128 Beta#2 = 278 Beta#3 = 3,000+ Beta#4 = 14,000+ imageBabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Menopur is a B***H!

• Options
    Mine stung a little, but wasn't painful.  Do you ice before you give the injections?  I found that icing for 5 minutes or so really helped.  I never even felt the injections.

PAIFW/SAIFW

DS1 born July 2002 (previous marriage).

TTC since Oct 08. DH Dx w/testicular cancer March 09.
    MFI due to retrograde ejaculation/azoospermia.
    5/2 IVF #1 cancelled due to large follie.
    6/14 start Lupron for IVF #1.2. 6/22 start stims.
    7/4 ER and Biopsy.
    7/9 Transferred 2 (1-4BB and 1-3BB) embryos.  4 frosties.
    7/15 +HPT 6dp5dt. 7/18 Beta #1: 193. 7/20 Beta #2: 415.
    8/10 1st u/s - It's triplets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    delinodelino member
    I had only the tiniest bit of pain with my stims.  I mixed my Gonal-F into my Menopur.  I don't know if it made a difference, but maybe you can ask if you can do that?
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a dumb question (please forgive me since I have not started my injects yet) but wouldn't the progesterone be more painful since that has to be in the muscle?  I personally am more worried for that one!!
    party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
    see more After 12
    Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
    IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
    IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!
  • Options
    YES! It stings so bad that I want to pull it out before the syringe is finished. Last night it was still stinging so bad after I was finished and DH grabbed some food and tried feeding me to get my mind off the pain LOL. It was very sweet but food was the last thing I wanted haha
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel ya... The Menapur burned super bad for me. I started icing my stomach and that did seem to help a bit. I hope it gets better for you, GL!
    First U/S 06/27/12 TWINS!!
  • Options

imagedelino:
    I had only the tiniest bit of pain with my stims.  I mixed my Gonal-F into my Menopur.  I don't know if it made a difference, but maybe you can ask if you can do that?

What was your dosage of both? My RE has me taking gonal-f in the morning with Lupron and Menopur at night. I wasn't even given the option of taking them together. I am taking 225 IU of gonal f and 1 vial of menopur. I have noticed everyone has such different protocols during an IVF cycle. 

Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    delinodelino member
    imageApril+:

imagedelino:

What was your dosage of both? My RE has me taking gonal-f in the morning with Lupron and Menopur at night. I wasn't even given the option of taking them together. I am taking 225 IU of gonal f and 1 vial of menopur. I have noticed everyone has such different protocols during an IVF cycle. 

I was on 150 Gonal-F and 1 vial of Menopur.  I wasn't on Lupron so that might be the main difference.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
  • Options
    Its been fine for me... its more of a PIA to mix it than the injection.  But im on Lovenox and that stings no matter how slowly i inject
  • Options
    My Menopur injection was identical to Gonal f. No burning or anything like that. I've heard of women complaining when they are on a high dosage of Menopur, but never with only taking 1 vial (my dose).
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I thought the menopur was the worse by far.  It burned going in and it caused me to bruise.  The follistim and gonal-f never did this.
    BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options
    Am going to try icing tonight. Am only on 1 vial of it but the pain is too much while the other 2 are a piece of cake. Thanks for the icing  suggestion. 
    Me:30, DH:33 TTC : 2010 Dx: March 2011 Azoospermia. TESE Feb 2012, Sperm was found. Me:All Blood work are good. Tubes are clear. IVF w/ICSI May 2012, 5/27/12: 12R, 3F, 5/30/12: 2T HPT:6/9/12 = BFP! Beta#1 6/10/12 = BFP!128 Beta#2 = 278 Beta#3 = 3,000+ Beta#4 = 14,000+ imageBabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    BzeetyDBzeetyD member
    For Menopur it burned and I agree that it was the most painful (we didn't do PIO) and someone told me a trick of turning on a heating pad, doing the inject and then putting the pad on the spot immediately afterwards. This really helped for me.
    BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Options
    AmCheriAmCheri member
    I'm with you purple.  Menopur was pure, unadulterated torture for me.  I had so much pain one night, I thought I might vomit.  :( Next cycle, I complained about Menopur and they switched me to Follistim.  Follistim is a breeze.  It's just a mini-me sting.  Talk to your nurse and see if they will switch your meds.  They may not want to change mid cycle, but it can't hurt to ask.  Feel better!
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    imagepurpleyes1081:
    Am going to try icing tonight. Am only on 1 vial of it but the pain is too much while the other 2 are a piece of cake. Thanks for the icing  suggestion. 
    Make sure you report back with results. I start Menopur tomorrow and you guys have scared the crap out of me and I was already dreading it (BIG time fear of needles. Emphasis on the BIG lol)... Now I kinda just don't want to do it at all!!!!! I'm expecting to have to do five days of menopur then the trigger shot... Now after reading this I think I might be sick. Ick! GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelady_chance_99:
    imagepurpleyes1081:
    Make sure you report back with results. I start Menopur tomorrow and you guys have scared the crap out of me and I was already dreading it (BIG time fear of needles. Emphasis on the BIG lol)... Now I kinda just don't want to do it at all!!!!! I'm expecting to have to do five days of menopur then the trigger shot... Now after reading this I think I might be sick. Ick! GL

Aww... I will def report back.

• Options
    lc&jwlc&jw member

My first menopur injection stung really badly too. After that, I tried to inject it closer to the mid-line of my stomach, below my belly button rather than off too far to either side. Basically I was aiming for where there was a thicker layer of fat. That seemed to help tremendously and the rest of my menopur injections were tolerable, even after my dosage doubled. I've also learned over time that certain areas of my stomach are more sensitive than others, so I won't even attempt any of the more painful injections in those areas.

I had also heard that with menopur injections you should be careful to make sure that there are no drops of medication on the outside of the needle before you inject, because that supposedly makes it burn worse. Also, you're not injecting cold medication are you? We were told that the menopur does not need to be in the fridge.

Good luck. I hope it gets better from here.

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• Options
    AmCheriAmCheri member

imagelady_chance_99:
    imagepurpleyes1081:

LC, the majority of women here haven't had much trouble with Menopur.  Purpleyes and I are in the lucky minority.  Don't worry!  As insurance, I'd definitely ice first.  It does take the edge off.  Also, note that it's not the needle that hurts -- if it hurts at all -- it's the medication.   

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    imageAmCheri:

imagelady_chance_99:
    imagepurpleyes1081:

LC, the majority of women here haven't had much trouble with Menopur.  Purpleyes and I are in the lucky minority.  Don't worry!  As insurance, I'd definitely ice first.  It does take the edge off.  Also, note that it's not the needle that hurts -- if it hurts at all -- it's the medication.   

AmCheri~ I am DEFINATELY going to ice it now... I start feeling brave and then I backslide... I am not ashamed to admit that this is part of the reason DH and I decided we would opt out of IVF if it came to that. It wasn't the only determining factor but it sure didn't help... lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh..Hang tough..I know it sucks.  The menopur is awful, once I start taking the Ganirelix as well it'll be *double the pleasure* in the stinging / burning category :(.

*hugs*

Me = 39 DH = 50 TTC (since 01/2009 after a short break, I stopped counting *cycles* in 2010)
    DX 2010 : Unknown Infertility , AMA
    HSG 2005 = Normal / HSG 2010 = Normal
    SA 2005 = Normal / SA 2010 /2012 = Slightly low count : motility, morphology GREAT!
    Chromosomal analysis, MTHFR, ANA's, Lupus, Protein C, Protein S, APCR = Normal 2011

M/C : 2005 (7wk), 2010 (6wk), 2011 (7wk)

8 IUI's 2010-2011 all BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist 01/2012 #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist long 06/2012 #2 = BFN

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF New Clinic/New RE 11/2012 #3 = One beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF 02/2013 #4 = One more beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

FET 6/20 : One 5AA PGS normal transferred Beta 1 6/28 = 53.9 / Beta 2 7/1 = 220 / Beta 3 7/3 = 550!

1 U/S  6w3d - Heartbeat 119 /  2 U/S - 7w5d- Heartbeat 169 / 3 U/S (OB) 8w5d - Heartbeat still great!

Baby G welcomed into the world 3/7/2014

SAIF / PAIF always welcome ****

• Options
    ARS0805ARS0805 member

imagelady_chance_99:
    imagepurpleyes1081:

Right there with you, LC!  I am starting Bravelle on Wednesday! 

image image

Me: 28; DH: 35 
    1/2008 -- Started TTC
    3/2009 - FD discovered at 17 weeks1/2011 - Lap and HSG reveal Stage IV Endo and both tubes blocked. 
    4/2012 - Consult with RE for IVF#1 - Labs and SA are normal - Repeat HSG - SURPRISE! Both tubes are open.
    May, June, August 2012 - IUI#1-3 - Letrozole + Bravelle + Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    9/2012 - Lap#2 to remove endo and Hysteroscopy 
    IVF#1 (Long Lupron) - 12/6 ER - 20R 11F * 12/11 ET - Transferred 2 excellent blasts * 3 Frosties * 
    Beta #1 79.7 * Beta #2 240 * EDD - 8.29.13 * It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker

When Not IF Blog

Everyone welcome!
  • Options
    BabytoVBabytoV member

Are you sure you are mixing the Menopur all the way?  My nurse said it stings sometimes when the crystals are not all the way dissolved.  She told me after I put the saline into the vial to leave it on the table and swirl it around for a minute to make sure it mixes well.  You don't want to shake it because that will get air into it and you don't want that either.

Not sure if this will help you out at all but I didn't have any problem with the Menopur.  I get a lot of burning with the Lovenox.

I hope it maybe helps Smile

Lauren

Lauren BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BabytoVBabytoV member

I was VERY worried about the progesterone.  It doesn't feel wonderful but it is definately not as bad as I had though it would be.  I will tell you I would not ice or heat before hand.  I usually hold the vile of progesterone for a few minutes so it is body temp before it goes it.  My husband does a great job of just quickly entering the needle.  Once the needle is in they(my DH and whoever is going to do it for you) need to check that there is no blood but then I have found that the slower he pushes the progesterone in the better.  After it is removed I wipe with alcohol, put a bandaid on and then use a heating pad and rub the area for about 5 minutes. 

In the beginning he was going to low in the butt cheek and it was leaving bumps.  The nurse circled where it should go and I was suprised by how high up the circles were.  I will tell you it hurts more when it initially goes in but the long term effects are almost non-exsistent when we are in the right area.

Hope this may be helpful to you!  Just remember to BREATH!

Lauren

Lauren BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"