Pregnant after 35
Options

Materniti21 - Insurance coverage

Got a EOB in the mail the other day saying my PPO - United Healthcare will NOT cover the Maternti21 test I had back in January. 

I was told by the genetic counselor prior to having the test that my insurance WOULD cover the cost of the test all except $200 or so (which I paid for out of pocket).

So I guess I should expect a $2700 bill soon. Which I would NOT have done had I known .

WTF. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Materniti21 - Insurance coverage

• Options

My genetic counselor explained that the company itself was capping patient's out of pocket at $200ish, regardless of what insurance contributed toward it.  

You may be able to appeal to the insurance company if that is not the case.

Insurance companies suck.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I was not told that. I was told that UHC covers all but $200. Which we paid. The letter said the appeal was denied. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    piper09piper09 member

I was told that the max I would have to pay was $245.  My insurance (Anthem) considers Sequenom an out-of-network provider, so I was charged the full $2700, but Anthem sent me a check to cover about $2200.  So I am actually responsible for about $450.

I have not received a bill from Sequenom yet (test was performed March 13), so I am not sure what's going on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think you can appeal again (not with the insurance co.) or check with the state.  We didn't bother (it was a different claim though) since it was $200.  
  • Options

My insurance denied it too. You will not be responsible for paying any more than the 235 you paid directly to sequenom. They are going to absorb the hit. I was told this by my genetic counsellor when I got the test.

That said, I decided to appeal it, not because I want to get any money out of it, but because I think it is BS and that the test should be paid by any insurance company as it is a valuable diagnostic tool. It was my good deed of the day. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    imageamandaleigh1:

My insurance denied it too. You will not be responsible for paying any more than the 235 you paid directly to sequenom. They are going to absorb the hit. I was told this by my genetic counsellor when I got the test.

That said, I decided to appeal it, not because I want to get any money out of it, but because I think it is BS and that the test should be paid by any insurance company as it is a valuable diagnostic tool. It was my good deed of the day. 

Thank you !

Just called Sequenom and they said they eat whatever ins doesn't pay. Wish my Genetic Counselor would have told me that !!

now Im going to buy myself a new louis vuitton..lol... 

• Options
    fishy24fishy24 member
    I have been trying to get the diagnosis code for this to find out if my insurer (Aetna PPO) covers this. It's been nearly impossible!! I am only going to do it if it's covered. Can anyone share the code?  It should be on your EOB.  And does Sequenom REALLY eat the rest of the cost?? Thanks!! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    YES! They eat what they cannot collect. Spoke with them this morning and the max they can charge you is $475 - or something like that.
  • Options
    piper09piper09 member

imageCozfijibride:
    YES! They eat what they cannot collect. Spoke with them this morning and the max they can charge you is $475 - or something like that.

Hmmm...this is interesting.  I have a PPO, but was still charged this $475 since my insurance claimed Sequenon as "out of network".  I was told if you have a PPO the most you will get charged is $235.  I will need to investigate this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    fishy24fishy24 member

Would it be possible to post the phone number for Sequenom? 

Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefishy24:

Would it be possible to post the phone number for Sequenom? 

Thanks!

google sequenom & ask for billing. they are pst 

• Options
    imageCozfijibride:

Got a EOB in the mail the other day saying my PPO - United Healthcare will NOT cover the Maternti21 test I had back in January. 

I was told by the genetic counselor prior to having the test that my insurance WOULD cover the cost of the test all except $200 or so (which I paid for out of pocket).

So I guess I should expect a $2700 bill soon. Which I would NOT have done had I known .

WTF. 

I just got mine last week and I hope I don't get hit with that bill!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"