Preemies
Options

question about feeding

okay so my 12 day old DD has been eating okay. i started taking fenugreek on may 17 in the afternoon. since then the 18th (Fri), 19th (Sat) and this morning she has had a huge vomit. like projectile vomit everything up. overnight last night she spit up about half of what she ate twice. i put a call in to her doc almost 2 hours ago. question is should i wait till she tells me she's hungry or stick to my 3 hours like i'm supposed to? she spit up at around 10am and 3 hours would be 12-1215pm. any advice is appreciated for this scared FTM.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: question about feeding

• Options
    kck329kck329 member

It sounds like reflux. So yes, keep feeding her when she is hungry, just keep a towel nearby and plan lots of wardrobe changes. When you talk to your pedi, ask about reflux medication. Most babies are diagnosed around your DD's age and outgrow it by 6 months (though preemies seem to be special-my DD is still on meds at 14+ months).

Basics of reflux:

-after a feeding, hold your baby upright for 20-40 min to help with digestion (wraps are great for this so you have your arms free)

-pacifires often help keep stuff down too

-feed often and in small amounts

-let your baby sleep at an incline (the rock n play is a board favorite for this but they sell wedges for cribs too)

-meds need to be adjusted with weight gain so if you get a reflux diagnosis and the symptoms come back, you need a new prescription

-sometimes it helps to cut dairy from your diet so you can try that too

let us know if you have more questions-lots of us have experience with this!

• Options
    i gave her only formula when seh woke up at noon and she took one ounce. then again at 3 she woke up and took just under 2 ounces. doc finally called back. i stopped taking the fenugreek and doc doesn't seem too concerned since she has kept everything down since she spit up at 10. i have to see her tomorrow. i'm gonna try giving her the breastmilk i pumped the last two times at 6 and see how she does. i dont think it's reflux but i'll ask her when i see doc tomorrow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The pp gave good advice, I would definitely follow the reflux recommendations she gave... Just wanted to add that two of my three boys had reflux.  My middle son was on Zantac until he turned one and it worked well for him and did a good job controlling his symptoms.  However, my third son did not do well on reflux meds because it turned out his reflux was a symptom of his food intolerances.  I BF'd both boys and had to cut dairy and soy completely out of my diet for my third son.  His reflux improved almost right away and he never needed medicine.

It's something to consider and if you decide to remove dairy from your diet these will help:

Common CMA Symptoms YouTube Video:https://bit.ly/sYdNi5 

Elimination Diets YouTube Video: https://bit.ly/yL1gFN

Hang in there!  You're doing a great job :)
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"