Baby Showers
Options

s/o Kids at a shower...Clicky Poll

I know that for some of you ladies, it is not the norm for children to be at a baby shower. This is just asking your preference.[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Kids at a shower...Clicky Poll

• Options
    kjskjskjskjs member

I'm having all kids welcome at my showers, infants included but I'm also having a co-ed party.

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    We're also have a co-ed shower and entire families are invited.  After lunch and gifts, we're all going to my parents' pool.  She has toys/outdoor games for the kids during the time leading up to swimming.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ks3pinkks3pink member
    I'm not going to say I prefer one or the other but I would never say no kids at a baby shower.  Its a baby shower, not a formal event, people are going to bring gifts, eat and socialize so kids aren't going to matter one way or the other in my eyes.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    Dosent matter to me. I had my 6yr old cousin at mine. Shes more excited than most people to have a new cousin lol

• Options

Depends on the age of the kids. If they are going to sit and be part of it, I'm good to go. If they are going to run around and make noise and interrupt everything that is going on, not so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    imagelovebug33:

Depends on the age of the kids. If they are going to sit and be part of it, I'm good to go. If they are going to run around and make noise and interrupt everything that is going on, not so much!

I agree. I'm also not upset if no kids at all are invited. The only thing that bothers me about kids at a baby shower are when they aren't invited, yet they come anyway.

• Options
    imagelovebug33:

I said "Other" and this is largely why.  A shower w/ a bunch of YOUNG kids who are going to make the show about them.... eh, I'm not into it.  As either a guest OR as the MTB.

But for my shower, I did invite my good friends 8 year old.  She was at the age where showers were interesting to her and she WANTED to be there - and it was fun for her. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I want like, maybe ten kids there. I don't want toddlers there because I want to be surrounded by what my baby may look like in a few months. (Horomones talking). :)
    Team Pink! First time Momma to be!
  • Options
    There are a few kids I don't mind being at my shower - my BFF's two girls who will be 5 and 8 at the time.  I am also okay with my niece (DH's brother's daughter) being there for the most part, although she doesn't always behave very well.  Otherwise, I don't really want any other kids there.  Especially DH's cousins kids.  They are either very young (three are over one year old, but not even two) or horribly behaved.  Especially his one cousin's 5 year old son - he is terrible.  And his cousin would think nothing of bringing him to the shower.  So I am still not sure how to handle that situation.  To have some kids there and not others and how to address that on the invitation.  Ugh!  My mom is hosting, but since it is DH's family it puts her in an awkward situation.                     
  • Options
    I voted no kids...but think it would be interesting to find out how many have actually attended baby showers where kids were there and voted they don't care or yes to kids.  Also, how many HAVE kids and vote yes to kids.  Maybe I don't like kids there because I don't want MY kids there (and they are usually well behaved for the most part).  I don't like having to spend 2-3 hours keeping them entertained in a location that isn't "ready" for kids...meaning a home not childproofed, a hall that has NOTHING for them to do (like a playground INSIDE! lol), or a restaurant (heaven forbid).  They do OK in restaurants in the grand scheme of things...but then we are usually there to eat our meal and leave.  Sitting in one place for 2-3 hours is usually not the norm for most kids - even those in school.
  • Options

imagecutebride73:
    There are a few kids I don't mind being at my shower - my BFF's two girls who will be 5 and 8 at the time.  I am also okay with my niece (DH's brother's daughter) being there for the most part, although she doesn't always behave very well.  Otherwise, I don't really want any other kids there.  Especially DH's cousins kids.  They are either very young (three are over one year old, but not even two) or horribly behaved.  Especially his one cousin's 5 year old son - he is terrible.  And his cousin would think nothing of bringing him to the shower.  So I am still not sure how to handle that situation.  To have some kids there and not others and how to address that on the invitation.  Ugh!  My mom is hosting, but since it is DH's family it puts her in an awkward situation.                     

You can't pick and choose or you will make some guests very upset.  Either say OK to ALL kids or NO kids at all.

• Options

imagedontcryformeoslo:
    I want like, maybe ten kids there. I don't want toddlers there because I want to be surrounded by what my babymay look like in a few months. (Horomones talking). :)

Uhh...what? Unless the infants are all YOUR children, why would your baby look like them? Not all babies look the same. Did this NOT make sense to anyone else? 

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imagelovebug33:

I said "Other" and this is largely why.  A shower w/ a bunch of YOUNG kids who are going to make the show about them.... eh, I'm not into it.  As either a guest OR as the MTB.

But for my shower, I did invite my good friends 8 year old.  She was at the age where showers were interesting to her and she WANTED to be there - and it was fun for her. 

I never really thought of inviting children if they are all well behaved. Probably because most of the children I know (under the age of 10) are most of the time naughty haha. Or the moms think the shower is a time for them to enjoy (it is!) but bring their kids and just let them run amok.

I wouldn't mind if there were children at my shower, if they were all well behaved. As I said before though, most of the children I know are not polite and courteous and don't know how to act in someone else's home, so I will probably not invite children. 

• Options
    imageChristyML:

I wouldn't mind if there were children at my shower, if they were all well behaved. As I said before though, most of the children I know are not polite and courteous and don't know how to act in someone else's home, so I will probably not invite children. 

This is why age is a factor for me, though. The younger the child - even the  most well behaved kids can have their moments.  You put them in a new situation - they may act out.  Kids can't always handle their emotions well and if there are too many new people/kids around, it's a new environment, etc.  Then tack on stuff like if they happened to not get a good night's sleep, or having to share toys, etc.

My son is a pretty well behaved kid, but he's also 3.  He sometimes "acts 3" simply because he IS 3.

This is why going to a shower where there  might be a lot of younger kids holds absolutely no appeal to me! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I don't mind kids at the shower. However, I do think its odd that a school age boy would be there. Only b/c its a girl thing in my family and the boys would be bored Babies and toddlers of either sex wouldn't matter.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member

I picked other. On the invites my mom put mother/daughter for the children who were old enough to attend and who were family members, ie a cousin who's 8. I don't like when you have an invitation and proceed to bring your children to a shower when in fact they were not listed on the invite. I don't really see the need for children there. I can however understand infants. Children don't need to be at a shower unless they are invited. End of story!

• Options
    Just went to a shower on Saturday for my cousin and we took DD. My mom and I  doubled checked with my aunt to make sure she was invited before we just took her. She behaved great, and was there about 1.5 hours then DH came and took her home for a nap.There are no other cousins with young kids so it was just her, but it worked nicely. I prefer kids at my showers. I had them at all my bridal showers, baby showers and wedding. That said if someone does not want kids I respect that too, but like someone said it all or nothing. I get annoyed when my DD is not invited but someone else's is. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I voted no because my friends are throwing my shower at my house - 1.) there's just not enough room and 2.) my house is not "child" proof yet and I'm not sure it will be by the time my shower rolls around.

If the shower were going to be at a larger venue and whoever was planning it made plans for something for the kids to do - then I wouldn't mind with the caveat that there's no way on earth I'd let someone else open my presents for me Wink

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagerhubarb123:

You can't pick and choose or you will make some guests very upset.  Either say OK to ALL kids or NO kids at all.

Why should the guest of honor have to curtail (or expand) her guest list just because some guests are way overly sensitive?  I'm pretty sure people know that the Mom-to-be's niece is much closer to her than her co-worker's baby who she's never met.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"