Indiana Babies
Options

feeling really blue and insurance ?

Ugh, I'm feeling really down today. Sad  I don't know if it's because I've been stuck in the house for 3 days, but I don't really think so.  I really, really dislike my job (as most probably already know).  It was really bad on Monday--so much so that I stormed out of our music meeting 3 minutes into it! 

I really don't want to sign my contract before spring break, but I don't see any other options right now.  I need insurance until this baby comes.  That's basically what it comes down to.  I need to talk to HR, but here's my question:

Do you think if I quit my job at the end of this school year, that my insurance would stay in effect until the end of August?  We get paid from Aug-Aug, so I would think insurance would be the same.  I have no clue.  If I could still get it, then I might change my mind and leave.... 

Re: feeling really blue and insurance ?

• Options

Being stuck in a job that you don't enjoy sucks.  And being stuck at home sucks.  I think given the situations you are in, I would feel the same way. Either of those would make me crabby.

I would encourage you to really understand your options before you rule them out.  LIke you suggested....can you call the insurance company and ask or find the policy guidelines?  Do you have any kind of leave program?  Can you get insurance through Jason somehow?

Maybe of the others in education can shed some insight into options to consider. 

I would suggest finding another job that you enjoy more, but if you ultimately want to quit (in August?) soon then that's probably not very do-able, esp since you are pregnant already. 

• Options

Hang in there Christie.  You may feel different after the weather warms up and you get a decent break (spring break).   For sure talk to HR about the insurance issue.  I'm thinking since you get paid Aug-Aug your insurance will be paid out of those checks so you should be covered at that point but you will want to make sure!  You dont want to be without insurance.  Do you have a supervisor you could talk to about your work issues?  Is it just one thing at work that bothers you or alot of different things? 

I know I have days that I cant stand my job but other days I know I would miss it if I left.  It's a very delicate balance and right now I feel like this would be the worst time ever to be looking for a different job.  I'm horrible with change!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think that if you quit your job (as opposed to getting laid off with some sort of severance), your benefits would stop effective immediately.
    #PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options

Even if it didn't you could get Cobra until after the baby is here. I was on Tony's insurance through school for a while and while it was $$ it was good insurance at least. 

E-mail me if you want more info. 

• Options

that's probably something that is going to be very specific to teachers - since you can choose to get paid the months you work, or year round.

If you quit, they would maybe pay you out instead of paying you through August and health benefits would probably cease immediately.

Pregnancy if I remember right is not a preexisting condition - you could check around for individual plans and then not have a lapse in coverage if you did really want to quit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekelclay724:

Even if it didn't you could get Cobra until after the baby is here. I was on Tony's insurance through school for a while and while it was $$ it was good insurance at least. 

I have this option since I'm on a 2-yr leave. It is expensive but it's about trade-offs I guess!

Even just switching from my employer to Ryan's, man, we're spending mad money on medical bills right now!

• Options
    imagekelclay724:

Cobra is sooooooooooooooooooooo expensive - better just to go the medicare route dont you think? 

• Options
    Wouldn't you be able to switch and be on your hubby's insurance?  He can't be on mine while he's employed, if there were a major life change, which includes job change/loss, he would be able to sign up even in the middle of the year.  Sorry you are unhappy!
  • Options
    imageuofihoard:
    imagekelclay724:

Cobra is sooooooooooooooooooooo expensive - better just to go the medicare route dont you think? 

Right but most doctors don't accept Medicare so she'd probably have to switch providers.

And actually, after reading the responses above, I thought I'd add... when I quit working at a private school at the end of the year, I was paid through the end of July but like PPers said, my insurance stopped as soon as I quit working. I was pregnant then and got a cheap monthly plan for one month before we moved here and I got on Tony's school insurance. I had to pay that one month out of pocket to the doctor for the appt. ($100 I think).  

• Options
    imageuofihoard:
    imagekelclay724:

Medicare is for people who are over 65.  Medicaid is for people who cannot afford insurance, but not everyone qualifies for it.  Cobra is expensive but is intended for people that would otherwise have a lapse in coverage.  Like pp said, I bet your HR could tell you the specifics for your situation. 

• Options
    imageIndyWife06:
    imageuofihoard:
    imagekelclay724:

Medicare is for people who are over 65.  Medicaid is for people who cannot afford insurance, but not everyone qualifies for it.  Cobra is expensive but is intended for people that would otherwise have a lapse in coverage.  Like pp said, I bet your HR could tell you the specifics for your situation. 

Thank you for clarifying.   Then I guess I would suggest going the Medicaid route and then if that doesnt work follow what Kelli did by getting your own plan.  I wouldnt think you would want to be without coverage or could be without coverage for Claire.  For sure talk to your HR person - not sure how you would go about that since you are trying to find out what insurance coverage you would have if you left - akward.

• Options
    imageIndyWife06:
    imageuofihoard:
    imagekelclay724:

Sorry, I always get them confused. I think in Indiana it's actually called Hoosier Healthwise for pregnant women and children under 18.  

• Options

I'm sorry that things are going so bad for you.  It's hard to be in a word environment that you don't enjoy.

With the insurance question--they should give you insurance through the end of your contract.  I guess it would depend when in August your contract is up.  I got RIF'ed last year so they did not renew my contract in May like they do all of the other teachers, but they still gave me the benefits they owed me through my signed contract which was the day before the first day of school.  I would definitely talk to your HR person though.  It's not like you are quiting.  You'd just not be renewing your contract.  Good luck making this decision.

• Options

I'm sorry.  I know it's awful to be in a job that you dislike.

Definitely check with your HR department, but generally speaking, as soon as you quit your job, your benefits will end.  You are eligible for COBRA for up to 36 months, but you'll have to determine whether that cost is something you want to pay or can afford.  Most COBRA premiums are quite high because you end up paying both the employee and employer portions of your insurance costs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageeclaires:

that's probably something that is going to be very specific to teachers - since you can choose to get paid the months you work, or year round.

If you quit, they would maybe pay you out instead of paying you through August and health benefits would probably cease immediately.

Pregnancy if I remember right is not a preexisting condition - you could check around for individual plans and then not have a lapse in coverage if you did really want to quit.

I get paid for a full year in 10 paychecks. So I'm guessing they'd pay me back the insurance if I quit in May.  *sigh*

I would ultimately join my husband's insurance, but they don't sign up until December or something crazy--his is through school and is $$$.  

I'll probably stay on at least through my maternity leave and then consider my options.  

• Options

imageMommaMcG:

I get paid for a full year in 10 paychecks. So I'm guessing they'd pay me back the insurance if I quit in May.  *sigh*

I would ultimately join my husband's insurance, but they don't sign up until December or something crazy--his is through school and is $$$.  

I'll probably stay on at least through my maternity leave and then consider my options.  

That's probably when Open Enrollment is.  A change of employment is usually considered a qualifying event -- that is, if you go from employed to not employed, that change of status may be enough to enroll you on his insurance immediately, without waiting until Open Enrollment.  That's a question for his HR, though.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options

I'm sorry that things are going so bad for you.  It's hard to be in a word environment that you don't enjoy.

With the insurance question--they should give you insurance through the end of your contract.  I guess it would depend when in August your contract is up.  I got RIF'ed last year so they did not renew my contract in May like they do all of the other teachers, but they still gave me the benefits they owed me through my signed contract which was the day before the first day of school.  I would definitely talk to your HR person though.  It's not like you are quiting.  You'd just not be renewing your contract.  Good luck making this decision.

• Options
    Hey, I checked into this before :). You can join Jason's whenever because you are 1) pregnant and 2) would have a life change, i.e. no more job = no more insurance through your employer. They would add you whenever this would occur so you wouldn't have to wait until December. 
  • Options
    imageIndyGirl02:

imageMommaMcG:

I don't get that comment either.  I quit in August - Ryan's enrollment is in Dec but it doesn't matter b/c it's a life event...

Unless Jason has some special rule, which I can't imagine he does

That's probably when Open Enrollment is.  A change of employment is usually considered a qualifying event -- that is, if you go from employed to not employed, that change of status may be enough to enroll you on his insurance immediately, without waiting until Open Enrollment.  That's a question for his HR, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"