Military Families
Options

For all those who have to wait FOREVER to get an ultrasound or hear the heart beat.

I have to wait 12 weeks. 

Which isn't as long as some.

But they don't even check the heart beat before 12 weeks.

I took it upon myself to buy a fetal doppler.

I bought a Sonoline B, 3mhz fetal pocket doppler.

It has been a godsend.

I found the heart beat for the first time, yesterday, at 10w3d.
No, it doesn't mean everything is perfect. But at least I got to hear my baby. Which was more then enough to help calm me down. 

So for those to-be mom's like myself who want to make sure everything is going okay before they finally get a check up, I really suggest you buy one!

They are pretty cheap. Mine was 60$ (new on ebay), You might even find one cheaper!

It brought me peace of mind, and It might help other to-be moms!

I didn't know about them until someone online told me about them, so I thought I would spread the word! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For all those who have to wait FOREVER to get an ultrasound or hear the heart beat.

• Options
    I just went to the ER with some lame excuse and they gave me an ultrasound to make sure everything was fine with the baby. That's what most of us do since it takes FOREVER to get that first appointment.
    I don't know where you're stationed but in Norfolk the first appointment was basically a class with a bunch of other expecting mothers and then all the labs. The second appointment is when you'll get your ultrasound (not the super awesome one, but you still get to see the baby). At least thats how it was for me since I didn't know how far along I was until I finally had my radiology appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageamazing88:
    I just went to the ER with some lame excuse and they gave me an ultrasound to make sure everything was fine with the baby. That's what most of us do since it takes FOREVER to get that first appointment.

You are a moron.  The ER is for EMERGENCIES.  I understand being nervous during pregnancy, but lying about your condition is completely repulsive.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageamazing88:
    I don't know where you're stationed but in Norfolk the first appointment was basically a class with a bunch of other expecting mothers and then all the labs. The second appointment is when you'll get your ultrasound (not the super awesome one, but you still get to see the baby). At least thats how it was for me since I didn't know how far along I was until I finally had my radiology appointment.
    Are you serious? You are jamming up a presumably already packed ER for a non-emergency. I wondered why I had to wait 5 hours last time & now I know it's probably because of people like you. 
  • Options
    It was 1pm on a Wed afternoon.
    Not like I went when it was a high traffic time.
  • Options

imageamazing88:

You are still lame and an abuser of the healthcare system.  Just because you didn't have to pay much, if anything, doesn't mean it wasn't a waste of money. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imageamazing88:

You have got to be kidding me.  People wonder why our healthcare keeps getting crappier and rates and coverage change.   It's because people pull crap like this.  

• Options
    I get it, I didn't do the right thing but whats done is done and I've only been to my scheduled appointments since then.
    Can we get back to the origional post now?
  • Options

imageamazing88:
    I get it, I didn't do the right thing but whats done is done and I've only been to my scheduled appointments since then.

When you have a child actually needing to see a doctor and you can't get an apt and have to go to the ER, you will see why everyone who is already a parent is so annoyed with people who use the ER for non emergency services.

• Options

imageamazing88:

You're an idiot. I have had four miscarriages. I would NEVER pretend that something was wrong in order to get a scan. Please don't have any more children. No need to pass on your stupidity. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageamazing88:
    I think you're missing the point of an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. It can be busy at any time of any day. Ours is busy 24/7. ETA: and ours is usually busy with REAL emergencies.
  • Options

I am 11 weeks and had first appointment the other day :) We heard the heartbeat for the first time....it wiggled away which was cool....then we found it again. It was amazing! I hope you enjoy your doppler :)

Unlike the other lady on here, don't go to the ER unless you are truly concerned. You don't want to go unless you have to, and lets hope you don't have to.

Good luck at your appointment!!! When are you due? We're due 11/28.

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
    mom & dad to 3 boys!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kaisa07Kaisa07 member

A little speechless on the ER thing .. sadly .. this chick will be one of the first people pitching a b!tch when we all lose our Tricare, or have to start paying more for it ..

As far as the dopler goes .. I've never used one, nor do I want to .. I am the type of person that it would make me worry more .. OMG is that a normal HB???  So yea .. I'll stick to letting the doc listen ..

If you really cannot wait to "see" your LO .. you could always look for a private ultrasound place .. the one here in Hawaii offers a gender view @ 16 weeks for $50 .. but for $200 you get 3 visits throughout your pregnancy that includes a 3D/4D US with pictures/portfolio/goodies and a dvd .. but please .. don't go to the ER .. that's so gross.

• Options
    imageamazing88:

imageamazing88:
    Way to justify/rationalize poor decision making skills. I have to say, a big part of what bothers me is that amazing88 has friends who think this behavior is completely appropriate--as she states, "That's what most of us do. . . ."

I was "lucky". My first u/s was at about seven weeks, I think. But, then again, that is a "perk" of being an IVF patient. I also had multiple other u/s appointments. First because my OB was concerned about my NST results--I was high risk for Down Syndrome. Then, I was lucky to "get" monthly u/s appointments because my son had an echogenic focus on one of his kidneys--they were concerned it could be a soft marker for bigger issues.

OP, this all is not directed at you. While I didn't realize a Doppler could pick-up the baby's heart beat so early on, you are encouraging ladies to do something that is appropriate. I understand that seeing and hearing your baby is HUGE. But, in the American healthcare system, even more so with TRICARE--ultrasounds are conducted because there is a need to gather further information about potential problems.
  • Options

imageSmudges*Mom:

OP, this all is not directed at you. While I didn't realize a Doppler could pick-up the baby's heart beat so early on, you are encouraging ladies to do something that is appropriate. I understand that seeing and hearing your baby is HUGE. But, in the American healthcare system, even more so with TRICARE--ultrasounds are conducted because there is a need to gather further information about potential problems.

All of this.

• Options

imageamazing88:
    You're the one who recommended your tactic to a board full of Tricare beneficiaries.

In addition to posting something beyond stupid, you've got your last name in giant letters in your signature block.  Way to go.  

FWIW, I did IVF, so my RE ordered an u/s at 6w4d.  At 6w2d, I had a major bleed (not spotting, I thought I'd pissed my pants because it was gushing so heavily), so I had an u/s in the ER and that's how I found out I'm having twins.  A week later, the SCH reared its ugly head again and I had another big bleed, so I had another u/s in the ER.  Since then, my only u/s was my a/s at 22 weeks, and that's with a multiple gestation.  No way would I lie for an u/s.  That's the exact crap that makes me wish they'd implement co-pays for all Tricare beneficiaries. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options

imageamazing88:

OMFG. Are you serious? You used a lame excuse (your words, not mine) to get an early u/s at an emergency room? Grow the hell up and try having patience like (most) every other pregnant woman who has to wait for their ultrasound. Use the ER for its intended purpose, not for your own self pleasure. If you want an u/s so damn bad, then pay for it out of pocket at a private place. Don't abuse the system.

As for the OP, from my experience with 2 pregnancies the first appt is a paperwork appt. They may or may not do an u/s at the next appt but it will depend on your medical history. 12wk seems pretty standard for hearing the heartbeat for the first time. It sucks to wait that long, but please be patient and do not follow the horrible immature advice of amazing88...because it isn't amazing advice in any way, shape, or form.

• Options

Welllllllll this post completely took the wrong direction.

AS I POSTED.

I bought a Doppler.
    I found my babys heart beat.
    Fort Drum will only do a Ultrasound at 12 weeks unless you are high risk.
    This is my first. With no previous pregnancies. I am not high risk.
    A Doppler made my 12 week wait 30 times easier.
    I thought it would be a good idea to put out there for others who wait 12+ weeks, because I have seen several post about waiting 16 weeks and so on, to give them some peace of mind.

That is all this was about. 

You can find the heart beat as early as 8 weeks (Possibly) I found mine at 10 which is normal to find it with them.

dee & bee: I LOVE my doppler. I use it almost every day. Especially when I'm having a bad day. Hearing that heart beat makes every thing go away. It's a great relaxing tool for me. I am due December 5th! but I will know a more exact date on the 21st when we FINALLY get our first ultrasound. haha

Smudges, I never said anything about seeing the baby before the doctors deemed necessary. I am a nursing assistant. I know the medical field. I am referring to a tool that any to-be mother can use to make their minds settle, and is also really fun to share. That is all. 

Anyone who read MY post would I didn't say to go to the ER. I didn't even say anything about finding a way to SEE your baby before your appointment. I suggested buying a FDA approved device to hear the heart beat to help ease your worry until your appointment date..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"