VBAC
Options

So lost when it comes to VBACs.

DH and I are trying to do some "family planning" and I can't decide whether I'd like to shoot for a VBAC or go with a RCS next time. I've read a bit on the internet and can't say it's helping. Many articles I read talk poorly about VBACs and very few have personal experiences. So I'm hoping someone on this board can lead me either way---or at least give me some ideas of what they went though. I haven't spent a lot of time on this particular board. So this "newbie" will probably be lurking for awhile. As of right now I have some questions though... 

#1---What makes a good "canidate" for a VBAC?

DS was born in December. I was induced at 41 weeks and had 18 hours of labor and only dilated to a 5. It was then determined he wasn't quiet head down. I'm not sure if you'd label it as "breech"---he was head down, just back of the head tilted sideways.

My c/s went very very smoothly. I was discharged from the hospital within 30 hours and didn't even take pain meds. I shook super hard on the OR table and thought I'd die from hypothermia and had horrible pain getting in and out of bed for a few days--otherwise no scaring memories.

My doctor requests we wait 1 year to get pregnant if I want to shoot for a VBAC. It took DH and I 23 months to TTC DS. We want our children close in age and I fear having issues TTC again.

#2--If you have to be induced can you still try for a VBAC? No one in my family seems to deliever before or near their due dates.

#3--If you shoot for a VBAC and it fails are you more likely to end up with a vertical incision?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So lost when it comes to VBACs.

• Options

Iris put together a great blog with information, links to articles, and birth stories:

https://vbacbumpies.blogspot.com/

Personally, I was induced with pit for my VBAC at 41 weeks (the hospital I was delivering in did not allow VBACs to go over 41 weeks).  Not all VBAC "friendly" providers allow this.  I interviewed a lot of providers and settled on my CNM because she delivered in a VBAC friendly hospital and she had a great VBAC success rate.  She took plenty of time at each appointment to answer all of my questions (and I always had many) and we developed a great rapport so I really trusted that she was making suggestions based on my and my baby's best interest (not on what was easier for her, etc).

My advice is to ask your doctor lots of questions.  I had 27 months between my two births but I know people who were much closer together and still VBACed.  It sounds like positioning was a major factor for you so if your next baby is positioned better, you might have an easier birth.  Also, it could be your body just wasn't ready to birth when they induced you.  Every pregnancy and labor is different, so you'll never know until you try!

Good luck with all of your decisions!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

I'm no expert, but I've done a ton of research and am hoping to VBAC in September.  Here is my input on your questions:

1.  Everything I have heard from providers is 18 months between births minimum is best.  The fact that you labored and got to 5 I think is also a good indication your body will go through labor fine if you can get some help with positioning again if needed.

2.  Induction with VBACs depends on hospital policy. Not sure how it is in IL, but here in OR, some will induce, others won't at all..it's automatic RCS.  My hospital/midwives allow up to 42 weeks with ultrasound monitoring before any inductions are necessary and they allow any and all inductions with monitoring and moderation.

3.  I have NEVER heard anything about them doing vertical incisions with a RCS.  Do you think that's to avoid the prior cut?  I heard they cut you in the same place twice, but that was not from a health care provider.

If you haven't looked into a local ICAN chapter, that can be a good help. Good luck to you in your research.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageq4466w:

I'm no expert, but I've done a ton of research and am hoping to VBAC in September.  Here is my input on your questions:

1.  Everything I have heard from providers is 18 months between births minimum is best.  The fact that you labored and got to 5 I think is also a good indication your body will go through labor fine if you can get some help with positioning again if needed.

2.  Induction with VBACs depends on hospital policy. Not sure how it is in IL, but here in OR, some will induce, others won't at all..it's automatic RCS.  My hospital/midwives allow up to 42 weeks with ultrasound monitoring before any inductions are necessary and they allow any and all inductions with monitoring and moderation.

3.  I have NEVER heard anything about them doing vertical incisions with a RCS.  Do you think that's to avoid the prior cut?  I heard they cut you in the same place twice, but that was not from a health care provider.

If you haven't looked into a local ICAN chapter, that can be a good help. Good luck to you in your research.

Again--could be totally lost but, I've heard that if it becomes more of an emergency state they'll still cut vertically. And I've heard that there are more risks with a VBAC so I was curious to know if that related. I know for sure if I'd go with a RCS my doctor would cut the same place again.

Thanks for suggesting the ICAN chapter. Never would have thought of that!

• Options

#1 - First off, don't count on TTC taking the same amount of time, unless you have some medical condition.  It took us a year with our first.....and less then 2 weeks with the second.   So, make sure you're really ready when you start trying.

#2 - I went over 42wks with DD, so I'm up against the clock, too.   I had to switch providers and hospitals to have the opportunity to have a little pitocin and go to 41wks.

As for dates, make sure you know exactly when you conceived.  I lost a few days off my first birth because they used my LMP date, instead of my ovulation date.  

#3 - Most VBAC failures are not emergencies.  If you fail during labor or fail to make your hospital's deadline, you would most likely end up with a very standard RCS. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"