Health & Exercise
Options

Should I run a 10k in early pregnancy?

Just found out I am pregnant with baby #2, which is a bit of a surprise.  I'm signed up to run a 10k this weekend but I'm not sure I should do it now.  I won't even be 5 weeks yet at the time of the race but I don't want to do any harm to the pregnancy.  I'm not what you would call an avid runner so a 10k will be a lot for me.  I started out well with training but have been a slacker for the past month or so.  I did ask the nurse at my dr's office about it and she said if I'm an "athlete" and I've been training it should be fine.  I don't really think I would consider myself an "athlete" though.  Anyone have any advice as to whether I should run it or back out?

Re: Should I run a 10k in early pregnancy?

• Options
    I think I could easily be labeled as an "avid" runner and I found out I was pregnant with my first while I was training for my third marathon.  I ran the marathon at about 8 weeks.  So, if I were signed up for a 10K, I wouldn't think twice about running it.  You could always go and then run/walk it if you don't feel up to it.  I should add that I've had two completely uncomplicated pregnancies and have never had any problems/spotting in the first trimester so I felt 100% okay to keep up my running schedule.  But, everyone has varying levels of comfort with their pregnancies.  Good luck with whatever you decided to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member

Personally, I would still do it as long as you're feeling ok. Morning sickness may set in at any time (or it may not -- you never know). I don't think you'd be harming the pregnancy as long as you're smart about it.

As for training, have you been doing any running at all in the past week or so? If not, get on it. You don't have to run even 8k, say, today, just go for a run and see how you feel. Be open to walking if you need to. Run on Thurs and maybe Friday (easy), too. The biggest thing that got me in the 1st tri was tiredness in the first 4 or 5 weeks. Definitely realize that it is perfectly ok to alternate running with walking for the 10k. And, wear a heart rate monitor, if you have one. Have you been training with one at all? I know for me, my doc says to keep my HR below 165. (Basically, you don't want your body to work too hard and overheat -- that could cause problems with the pregnancy.) Has your doc given you an ideal HR max at all?

Of course, take all this FWIW. I am not a doctor or a hardcore marathoner. It has just been my experience that running isn't a problem during pregnancy. During my 1st pg, I ran through about halfway into my pregnancy without any issues. No spotting or anything. I'm currently pg with #2 and 15 weeks along. I ran/walked a 5k at 12wk and this weekend I'm doing another 5k. I've been slacking on training, but have ramped it up as of last Fri. It should be fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, why not?  I have not stopped running and I'm 20 weeks.  I ran trained through my first tri for a half marathon and ran the race at nearly 13 weeks.  I have since run a 5k and am planning on running another 5k this weekend at 21 weeks. 
  • Options

I agree with the others, you can always take some walking breaks if you don't feel up to it.  Have you at least run close to 4 or 5 miles in preparation for it?

I ran a marathon at 8 weeks and was planning to run the Boston Marathon at 22 weeks, but it was crazy hot that day so I deferred till next year.  But I did run a 20 mile race at 19 weeks in preparation for Boston, I just took breaks as needed and modified my pace.  My OB office is very supportive of running while pregnant, as several of the doctors there also ran through their pregnancies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sure, I had my best 5k time ever at 8wks pregnant. If you're not used to the distance, just don't push yourself too hard.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    Did you do the 10k over the weekend? If so, how did it go?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I did a 10k the weekend I found out I waspreggers. Actually came in 2nd! But in full disclosure- there was only 7 other women in the race!

Still felt great placing with my lil secret at the time.

I say go for it, just listen to yourself? 

Heather
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"