June 2011 Moms
Options

Alcohol at bday party? (clicky poll)

What's everyone doing as far as alcohol at the party?  We didn't have any at my older son's 1st bday party, but this one is at our house, and outside (hopefully) so it almost feels like there should be something served.  [Poll]
The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
Liam - 5.17.11

Re: Alcohol at bday party? (clicky poll)

• Options

Though there'll be a good amount of kids - there will also be A LOT more adults, so we will have beer and wine, and possibly something to mix with a punch that I'm thinking of making.  

• Options

I voted yes, but we won't be serving it.  We'll only be serving na bevs.  I'm sure (knowing my family) people will bring their own.  I don't care if people byob.  It will be at our house.  We're their to have fun.  We will have horse shoes and probably washers set up.  Along with some kiddie pools.  I want the adults to have fun too.  It's no big deal, imo.  Yes, it's a kid's bday party, but we will have far more adults than kids.

If we do end up serving it, it will probably be a big batch of margaritas (if my husband can score some free tequila from the vendors at work, lol).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't even think to not have alcohol there. Our friends and family enjoy having a cocktail or two...or more.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    We won't, because my ILs would have a fit. Don't you know drinking is eee-vil? If it were just my family, we probably would.
  • Options
    Our party will be at a nearby park, so we won't be having alcohol. If it was at our house, I wouldn't be opposed to having it. But, I don't think it would be a big priority.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I voted yes, though we are not providing it.  I, personally, think it is tacky to have alcohol at a child's birthday party, but I know without a doubt people will bring their own, despite it being at a public park where no alcohol is allowed because my family is klassy like that
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO's party is being held at a public park, so adult beverages aren't permitted. Even if it was at a private home, I'm guessing we wouldn't serve alcohol. We enjoy a drink every now and then, and my side of the family always has beer and wine at family gatherings, but DH's family doesn't drink (not for some crazy, alcohol is evil thing, they just don't drink) and our friends aren't drinkers, either.
  • Options
    Me and my husband don't drink, my parents don't drink, and his parents don't drink... So we hardly ever have any alcohol at any event. We almost had a dry wedding, but at last minute I added beer and wine to the menu for the few that I knew would have a fit if it wasn't there.
    forum
  • Options
    klvklv member
    My birthday is 2 days before Hannah's and is just after Memorial day weekend. We are throwing one big party for both of us. There will be one other kid there, he is 9. We are having a backyard BBQ. There will be beer.
  • Options
    we're doing a combo 1st bday/ 4th or july picninc/ my bday so there will be alcohol. i don't think it's a big deal, it's just like any other holiday or family function. obviously if i was having a party FOR the children there wouldn't be any.
  • Options
    We will be serving beer and wine. We have a fully stocked and functional bar in our house. We are doing a backyard BBQ for his first birthday so alcohol will be available for those who want it. I also might make blueberry lemonade (with blueberry vodka)...too bad I will not be having any but it is sooooo good.

• Options
    MH and I were just talking about whether or not it's appropriate to serve alcohol. We were thinking since it's mostly adults that we would, but probably just wine and beer.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, it's mostly adults at ours, too...there will probably 3 other kids there, so we were leaning toward having beer & wine out.  and maybe some sangria or something else summery.
    The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
    Liam - 5.17.11
  • Options

imagejcsumm0:
    We won't, because my ILs would have a fit. Don't you know drinking is eee-vil? If it were just my family, we probably would.

This would make me want to have alcohol even more. lol.

• Options
    DH and I always have beer in our fridge.  We will offer it to anybody that wants some.  I don't think we will put it out in coolers or have wine, liquor, other alcoholic beverages.  It is "normal" for us to have it available any time we have guests. 
  • Options
    I won't be serving it, but I KNOW that my FIL will be a hillbilly and bring his own cooler of beer because he's an alcoholic and can't go anywhere without drinking.  I swear, if he acts like a drunken idiot (like he usually does) at my child's first birthday party, there's gonna be hell to pay!  Plus, the party starts at noon, and even though FIL will be drinking, I don't think anyone else will miss having alcohol with their lunch...
  • Options
    My husband is homebrewing a batch of beer today that he's intending to serve at the b-day party. There will be a lot of adults there, so yes, we'll have a cooler of beer. As Isaac gets older and the parties are more for the kids, we'll stop serving it.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Options

Yes. The party is at our house (more of an open house than bday party) and mostly adults.  We'll have beer, wine, and hopefully a blue rum punch (still looking for a good recipe that will turn out the correct shade of blue though?lol)

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• Options

Part of why I don't like to have alcohol at parties is because of liability.... My aunt infuriates me when we go to a restaurant for a family gathering. Her and her husband will both have anywhere from 2-6 drinks while out.... And then drive home with their kids in the back seat... And after 2 drinks my aunt is acting like a drunken sorority girl... After 3 drinks my uncle is no longer able to form a sentence without slurring.... Sigh.... And my aunt's a cop to boot.

I just really prefer to avoid alcohol at parties... especially ones where parents will be driving their kids home. I don't look down on anyone who is offering alcohol, it's just a fear of mine. =

forum
  • Options

imageDaisyJanie:
    My husband is homebrewing a batch of beer today that he's intending to serve at the b-day party. There will be a lot of adults there, so yes, we'll have a cooler of beer. As Isaac gets older and the parties are more for the kids, we'll stop serving it.

My husband also home brews but hasn't made a new batch in awhile.  I should get on him about that! ;)  

Ours is also going to be mainly all adults so there will be beer and wine. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageMommaG123:

imageDaisyJanie:

My husband also home brews but hasn't made a new batch in awhile.  I should get on him about that! ;)  

Ours is also going to be mainly all adults so there will be beer and wine. 

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this reply!  DH is home today - maybe I'll call him and tell him to get to it!! 

• Options
    We will probably have some beer in cans along with cokes and waters in a cooler. I don't think it is tacky to have beer at an outdoor birthday party where most of the guests are adults, however I would NEVER bring alcohol to someone else's party.. that's just rude (unless I was bringing a hostess gift). I respect your preference to have the kind of party you want.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Certain family members do not know how to behave with alcohol. I dont want DS's birthday turning it to a drunk fest. Therefor, no alcohol. We are doing it at a city park, where no alcohol is allowed. If they choose to show up with alcohol, I will ask them to leave as I do not want the liability.

If it was people who could behave with alcohol, I would have no problem with it.

• Options

image11kacey:
    We will probably have some beer in cans along with cokes and waters in a cooler. I don't think it is tacky to have beer at an outdoor birthday party where most of the guests are adults, however I would NEVER bring alcohol to someone else's party.. that's just rude (unless I was bringing a hostess gift). I respect your preference to have the kind of party you want.

I think bringing your own depends on the family.  For DHs moms family it's pretty much always byob just because everyone drinks something different, and it's a big family so to provide alcohol is expensive and not everyone in the family can afford that, plus hosting a party.  However, it's established that it's BYOB in advance.   

• Options
    imageTelly21182:

image11kacey:
    I would NEVER bring alcohol to someone else's party.. that's just rude (unless I was bringing a hostess gift).

I think bringing your own depends on the family.  For DHs moms family it's pretty much always byob just because everyone drinks something different, and it's a big family so to provide alcohol is expensive and not everyone in the family can afford that, plus hosting a party.  However, it's established that it's BYOB in advance.   

Same for us.  BYOB is the norm at our parties. I will not be the least bit offended if/when people show up with their coolers.

• Options
    imageKymbirleigh:

Part of why I don't like to have alcohol at parties is because of liability.... My aunt infuriates me when we go to a restaurant for a family gathering. Her and her husband will both have anywhere from 2-6 drinks while out.... And then drive home with their kids in the back seat... And after 2 drinks my aunt is acting like a drunken sorority girl... After 3 drinks my uncle is no longer able to form a sentence without slurring.... Sigh.... And my aunt's a cop to boot.

I just really prefer to avoid alcohol at parties... especially ones where parents will be driving their kids home. I don't look down on anyone who is offering alcohol, it's just a fear of mine. =

Word. 

ETA:  No alcohol for us.

• Options

We won't, but it is mostly because the park we're hosting the party at does not allow alcohol.

While I don't mind a drink or two, I'm actually happy. DH's family has some big drinkers, and I really don't need SIL getting over the top drunk like she normally does.

BabyFetus Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Options
    Our party is 98% adults, and we're serving brunch, so there will most definitely be mimosas on hand :)
  • Options

It hadn't even crossed my mind to NOT serve alcohol.  We are having a pool party at our house so it would be weird to me not to have it.

I should add that there will only be a few other kids there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are having the party at our house so yes there will be alcohol. I'm pretty sure some of our family and friends would be offended if we didn't offer it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are having a combined Open House/BBQ for DS's birthday (June 28th) and Canada Day (July 1st).  We figure it will start at 4 or 5 and then our friends with kids can bring them and then head out, and we will have everyone else who stays until who knows when, a fire, etc.  Most parties we host and attend people BYOB.  We always have extra beer, wine, mix, etc. but most people show up with their own stuff.  If we were talking DS's 5th birthday party where parents aren't staying, etc. that is totally different.  For this one however, I don't expect our friends to go without when they're the ones we really are hosting (and their babies and toddlers too, of course, but this is more about us having a party for our friends and family where they are welcome to bring their kids if they want.)
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I voted no just because we won't be serving it, it could get expensive boozing hup our friends lol...but our invite saide we'd have kid-friendly beverages  otherwise BYOB...although my girlfriend made this awesome, YUMMY moscato and pink lemonade concoction that I may have to make for bthe grown ups!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Options

We are having DD's party at a restaurant since we moved out of state and are going back east for her party...it is a brunch and there will be mimosas, bellinis, and bloody marys + beer/wine...I wouldn't think twice serving alcohol.  Our friends and family are not crazy drinkers but enjoy a cocktail every once in a while.  Even if it were at my house, I'd have it.  I don't think it is tacky or class-less at all.  Call me cray. 

• Options
    Our party is also at our house. We will be serving alcohol. We will have beer and wine and I'm hoping to have one or two summer type cocktails.
  • Options
    klvklv member
    imagekimbo1216:
    imageTelly21182:

image11kacey:
    I would NEVER bring alcohol to someone else's party.. that's just rude (unless I was bringing a hostess gift).

Same for us.  BYOB is the norm at our parties. I will not be the least bit offended if/when people show up with their coolers.

Same here. In our group of friends most everyone brings beer. It goes into a communal spot and people get to try different stuff. And I would hate to buy beer for 20 people plus meat and sides and dessert. Everyone does their part regardless of who is hosting. That's how we roll. 

• Options
    It's a BBQ. I'm sure we'll have a cooler of beer (right next to the juice boxes-who'd have thought that would be more flame-worthy??). 

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    We're just having a few family members over for dinner, cake, and presents. I said no alcohol, because we aren't planning on it, but we aren't opposed to it. We may end up picking up some beer and/or wine to have with dinner.
  • Options

No, I don't think a childs birthday party is the place for it.  I am sure every adult attending can make due for one day.  I don't care if my child is a teen I still feel the same way. 

I know that there are a few people who are coming that are recovering alcoholics, not to mention a few that seem to be currently, so it doesn't need to be there for those reasons alone.  But most of all I just don't think it will kill anyone to go one day.  Back when I was a child we never had it at our birthday parties, so I don't see a reason for it now.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageMrsPBNJ0220:

No, I don't think a childs birthday party is the place for it.  I am sure every adult attending can make due for one day.  I don't care if my child is a teen I still feel the same way. 

I know that there are a few people who are coming that are recovering alcoholics, not to mention a few that seem to be currently, so it doesn't need to be there for those reasons alone.  But most of all I just don't think it will kill anyone to go one day.  Back when I was a child we never had it at our birthday parties, so I don't see a reason for it now.

Exactly! I feel the same way about everything you just said.

forum
  • Options
    Yes. Beer, Shandy, and probably some sort of Sprtzer or Sparklers for the ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"