Ergo users: When did you put LO's legs out? — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Ergo users: When did you put LO's legs out?

DS keeps trying to stand up in his Ergo.  He is 4 months old and over 18 lbs. I'm thinking it may be time to put his legs out.  I've tried it once with the insert pillow and it was fine for a while, then he got uncomfortable.

When did you ladies put your LO's legs out?  How did you know they were ready?

Re: Ergo users: When did you put LO's legs out?

• About 3.5 months, whenever I started using it.

Babies are really flexible.

• At 3.5 months and he was almost 14lbs at that point. At 4 months and 18lbs he should be more than ready to sit with his legs out. At 1 year my boy is just barely 19lbs.
    1yearafterHow a year can make such a difference! Formerly Ciaram22Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • See, I was told that they should definitely use an insert until 5.5 - 6 months b/c their hips being able to splay for the Ergo is dependent on their AGE, not size/weight/head ability.  We didn't go insert-less until 5.5 months (and he's a big baby - was 21lb 10 oz at his 6 month appt).  

But his legs were outside the carrier, while sitting on the pillow/insert (or a blanket to do the same thing) by 6 weeks, easily.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image tokenhoser:

About 3.5 months, whenever I started using it.

Babies are really flexible.

Same here.  He was @ 17 lbs.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • Around 6 weeks we started going legs out on the pillow. I asked this question on TBW (loads of hardcore BWers there) and the answer they gave me is that legs out from the get go is the way to go - legs in has been deemed unnecessary. 
  • About 2 months when legs in no longer seems comfortable and the insert felt too bulky.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Thanks everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards