Eco-Friendly Family

One Vegetarian Parent, the Other not. What's LO?

Hi,

Not sure which board to post this on, so thought I'd try here first.  Does anyone have experience with one parent being a vegetarian and the other not.  How did you raise your LO?  

I am a vegetarian, my DH is not.  Of course we will allow LO to make this decision once he is old enough, but until then, we each want to raise our LO with our preferred diet.

Just curious if anyone has faced this before and how you proceeded?  Thanks! 

Re: One Vegetarian Parent, the Other not. What's LO?

• imageA-Team 9/29:

Hi,

Not sure which board to post this on, so thought I'd try here first.  Does anyone have experience with one parent being a vegetarian and the other not.  How did you raise your LO?  

I am a vegetarian, my DH is not.  Of course we will allow LO to make this decision once he is old enough, but until then, we each want to raise our LO with our preferred diet.

Just curious if anyone has faced this before and how you proceeded?  Thanks! 

I had this whole reply and the bump ate it :-( sorry! To summarize what I'm too lazy to retype (on my phone here): same situation here, DH mostly only eats fish now, kids vegetarian until they decide otherwise, Forks Over Knives, DD#1 refuses to eat dead animal so far.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you want him to really be able to make a choice later, at least introduce meat. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm vegetarian (raised that way) and my dh is not. He eats meat if we are at someone else's home, out at a restaurant, or if he wants to cook something outside on the bbq. I don't know how to cook meat, or have any desire to, and dh doesn't either unless it's bbq (and he honestly prefers fish to chicken or turkey, and he doesn't like beef or pork).  Our ds is only 2.5 months, but once he starts solids he'll be a vegetarian until he decides to try meat, if he wants to. I'm not going  to tell him he isn't allowed to eat it, especially since dh eats it. But I'd prefer if he ate quality meat, and not the crappy stuff from the regular grocery store....Dh doesn't really care one way or the other, especially since he's been an almost-vegetarian for years now, knows that it's a healthy diet/lifestyle, and actually feels great not eating meat regularly.

My sister on the other hand is a single mum, her son is now 8 and he eats meat because he loooves it. My sister buys him organic free range turkey sausages, etc. and she has learned how to cook it because her son likes it so much. I think our mom introduced him to meat when he was around 1 or 2. 

If you're really concerned  about your lo eating meat before he is old enough to choose, you might want to do some research to show your dh about how much protein babies/toddlers need, etc. and how breastmilk or formula should provide the bulk of baby's calories/ nutrition for at least the first year of life.  

• our compromise for right now is that meals together (i.e. dinner/weekends) are vegetarian...lunches during the week you are on your own..the only meat dh really eats is turkey cold cuts and fish (and admittedly I am not 100% vegetarian b/c I do eat fish 1-2 times/month)...dh does also eat meat at my parents when we go for dinner (usually once a month)...and my girls may or may not meat or fish then...

during the week my girls eat whatever the school serves for breakfast and snacks...and since I am usually the one who sends lunch that is usually veg, except for the occassional turkey sandwich.

• Hot topic in my family!  I'm a vegan, DH is a meat eater but is mostly vegan in the house.  DD is a vegetarian until she can make her own decision but I would say her diet is about 99% vegan.  We had many discussions about this before and since she was born.  Not an easy topic.  GL
  • They are omni. Most of the meals we eat in our home are veg, so that is their predominate diet, but we don't forbid meat. They can eat it if they want, or not.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I thought we were going to have the same dilemma, but hubby decided to turn veg just before we got pregnant. Now we are planning on raising the kid veg. Neither of our families are veg but my family does not eat beef. We are going to ask them to respect our wishes but wonder if they will have the kid try meat when babysitting.

I'd suggest you and DH come to an agreement such as starting veg for the first two years then, if hubby still wishes to have the kid try meat, introduce healthier meats on occasion. That way the first two year base is veg based which should have a good influence on LO making healthier choices. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a vegetarian and DH isn't, but we eat vegetarian meals at home most of the time.  I'm not sure when or how we will introduce meat to LO, but we agree that we won't change the way we eat at home, but won't discourage her from having meat when it is offered.  We both want her to choose for herself when she is old enough.
    BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• vigurlvigurl member

DH and I were raised as vetarians.  He is no longer one.  He eats chicken and I will buy and cook it for him a few nights a week.  (I learned to cook it last year)  Prior to that we have been living together since 2008 and he just would eat veggie style.

We discussed how we want our kids to be raised (food wise) before we even got married.  LO will be vegetarian until he (LO) decides he wants to try or eat meat.  LO can make the decision for himself. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a vegetarian and DH is not.  I've learned to cook meat since we have been together so we have meat probably half the time at dinner.  DD loves meat.  She actually was chanting "meat, meat, meat" before dinner the other day.  I'm not super concerned about it either way at this point.  The thing I was most worried about for her was the hormones in beef, but I researched and in Canada there are no hormones added to beef. 
    DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
  • I am a veggie and my husband is not. Neither are my two girls. I prepare meat for them, which I find awful, but make sure that it was at least free range, hormone free and had a decent life. When the girls are old enough they can make their own choice, just like I did.

• My husband and I are both vegeterians, but we decided not to raise our child as a strict vegeterian - although she will eat mostly veggie.  When she is old enough to decide she can. 

The reasons: I think kids are picky eaters and I'm worried about adding restrictions to her diet that could result in poor nutrition.  I also think being a vegetarian is a lifestyle choice and I don't think I should make that choice for my child.

For baby food, I want to make most of it homemade - so that will be veggie.  I may buy some baby food that has chicken or something in it.  When she is old enough, she can order what she wants in restaurants.

I would say for your situation, it will depend on who is making the meals.

• AllibobAllibob member

imagePamela05:
    If you want him to really be able to make a choice later, at least introduce meat. 

Why? You can not introduce it and let him decide. I don't get this, but I'm also vegetarian-ish (I eat fish occasionally). I was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy at 2, and my mom had to go vegan for medical reasons a year later. She did all the cooking, so I was raised vegan. My dad ate meat if we went out, but ate veggie at home. When I was old enough to choose, I ate whatever I wanted. I second PP who recommended Forks Over Knives. There's absolutely no nutritional benefit to eating meat, so I wouldn't stress. And being an omnivore is a lifestyle choice as well. You're not depriving your child by not feeding them meat at a young age.

• BigD79BigD79 member
    So happy to find this post! We are the same exact scenario here. I will definitely not be cooking meat, but I have no objection to LO eating it (as long as it's relatively healthy in its preparation, i.e. easy on the fried!). We also agree that LO can decide for him/herself when the time comes. Nice to know we're not the only ones! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"