Toddlers: 24 Months+

do i need a double stroller?

Hi everyone, 

We are expecting our 2nd at the end of december and my mom offered to get us a double stroller four our 3 y/o and new baby (almost 4 when the new baby gets here). We do go on walks but not that often. We go to the zoo a lot and to the aquarium sometimes but I just don't know if we need one. I just wanted to get your advice/suggestions. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: do i need a double stroller?

• I hate double strollers.  Bulky, hard to maneuver, etc.  Most of the time, I can get away with my umbrella stroller and my Ergo baby carrier.  Sometimes my 2 year-old walks and the baby rides in the stroller.  Other, more prolonged, outings (zoo, etc.), I wear the baby and the two-year old does a combo of walking and riding. 

We have recently found out that we are expecting again at the end of November, so I'll probably cave and do the double stroller thing.  I have friends that absolutely swear by the Joovy Caboose Ultralight, and that's probably what I'll end up with.  It's much easier to maneuver and weighs a lot less than most double strollers.  One friend was able to push it with her four year old and two year old in it (both average size) across a baseball field with only one hand without spilling the plate of food in her other hand.  Not bad, I'd say.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • I can manage letting my 2 year old walk around the zoo/aqaurium without a stroller anymore so I would think a 4 year old would do just fine.

You can always babywear/push your oldest in the single in a bind. I can't see you getting your money's worth out of a double with a nearly 4 year age difference honestly. Heck, we didnt use ours all that much and I SAH/there's only 12 months age difference between my kids.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a Baby Trend Sit n' Stand and I really like it. Yea, it can be bulky and a PITA to load into the car, but it's a double stroller. You have to expect that it won't be super-easy.  Ours actually handles quite well. Your older child may like the part that becomes a bench and she can either sit on the the bench or stand as you push.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • My 4 yo won't ride in a stroller most of the time at zoos, etc. We do have a double BOB for jogging/longer walks, so when he was younger after DD was born (he was 28 months then), we occasionally would lug that to the zoo. But otherwise, we have never really needed a regular double. We also have a wagon that comes in handy on the rare occasion we need him to ride. 

I would say that if you plan to go on long hikes/jogs/walks often, then maybe get a BOB or similar. That can always be used in outdoor places like a zoo (it's a tight fit at the mall, etc.). 

But in my experience, 4 yos are quite capable and willing to walk 90% of the time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't invest in a double for a 4 yo.  They do have buggy boards that you can attach to the back of your single if #1 doesn't want to walk (though they'd have to stand).
  • Nah.  Tell her to get you a fantastic baby carrier.  I had twins when DD#1 was 19 months and got the double stroller and almost never used it. By the time you can't wear your baby, Ds won't likely want to be in a stroller. We   have a myriad of strollers now and the only wheels we use now are the wagon, a scooter and a push trike. 
  • I say yes, but not a regular double. Get a sit 'n stand kind. DD is 3 and DS is 1 and we love our sit and stand. She can't walk fast enough to manage the zoo or long neighborhood walks on her own.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got a double stroller once DS was 11 months old and DD was 3.5 and I am glad I did.  I did the moby wrap / umbrella stroller / let the toddler walk for as long as I could, but once he hit the 10-11 month mark, it was getting too hard.  Even simple tasks like going to church, or the library or walks around the neighborhood were becoming a nightmare.  Once we decided we were going to Disneyworld in the fall, I said "screw it, lets just go ahead and get the double stroller."

We got a sit and stand and I am glad we did.  True it is bulky and takes up space in the van, but it is easy to collapse and not too heavy for my to lift and  it is just easier for me to take them places and go for walks around the neighborhood.  IT also worked out well for my fmaily because DS didn't like being in the moby wrap anymore and DD still liked being in a stroller.

I say wait it out for a while and then make a decision that is right for your family. 

• I love my double and can't live without it.  DS likes to ride.  We also have a glider board so he can stand.  i would rec that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would HIGHLY recommend the new Graco Ready 2 Grow Stand and Ride Stroller. DD1 is 2 and DD2 is 4 months and it is amazing! Perfect double stroller for a growing family. It transitions from a double to a sit and stand. The car seat can clip in to either the from or back seat, and both seats recline so baby can ride in either seat or the car seat. It is a bit bulky but I found even single strollers could be bulky, I think it's worth it! However you could also look into The Comfort Embrace Wagon by Radio Flyer. My MIL got DD1 a wagon for Xmas and I wish I had know about that one. Would make trips to the Zoo so much better.

• My kids are 21 months apart and the double is a 5th member of our family! That thing is crucial.

• kegkeg member
    At almost 4, I'd say no.  I seldom use a stroller anymore with my girls and honestly can't remember the last time I used it.  I'm in Atlanta too and we've done the airport, zoo, botanical gardens, Fernbank, etc without strollers, and at the aquarium I find strollers are more of a pain than they are worth.  (I haven't been to the aquarium recently but we did the Chattanooga aquarium without strollers when the girls were almost 3).  I'm with pps and just get a good baby carrier.  And if your DD wants to ride in the stroller you can use the carrier with the baby.  If your DD was 2, my advice would be different but I find 3+ to be pretty dependable walkers.
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• DD1 will be 4 in a few weeks and at this point the only time we use the double is for the beach or other several day events when I will be by myself.  That being said, if you are going someplace big (like Disney World) before LO2 is a year old, go ahead and get the double from the beginning. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The City Select is SO fantastic.  It is a single or a double as needed trivially.  When I get out of the car and get it out of the trunk I can decide if I want one seat or two and just how I'd like them to face also.  It's a $650 stroller but to me well worth not pushing around a double when I don't need it but having the option when I do.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I think for that age you could either get a glider board for your current stroller or get a nice single stroller that allows a 2nd seat (Phil & Teds, Britax B Ready, Baby Jogger City Select) so you/your mom isn't wasting money on something you won't need for that long. 
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I'm not sure how much you'd use it. Our LO's are 14m apart so it was completely necessary for me. Plus I SAH and we are out doing errands and activities all day long. DD doesn't use the stroller nearly as much anymore, but I still find it helpful to have the double for storage of stuff, and a place for her to sit when she gets tired. We had a double chicco which was good because it was the only stroller that our infant seat fit it, but it was bulky and hard to maneuver. Now we have a city mini and I love it - the storage is hard to get to, but it steers easy and isn't that much wider than a regular stroller. So, I'm sure that's no help, but I think ultimately everyone is different when it comes to "needs" for kiddos.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"