Blended Families
Options

Pregnant Stepmoms

How are you keeping your Sks involved in your pregnancy? I think we're going to take SS to one of those elective u/s places to find out the gender all together. We will also get him one of the stuffed animals that they sell with the baby's heartbeat recorded in it. We also got SS and the dog shirts that say "best big brother" lol

What are some other ideas you ladies are doing/ have done?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pregnant Stepmoms

• Options
    How old is your ss?we took ds2 (he's5) to a siblings class at the hospital. He loved it. He also made a picture frame to put on the hospital door. It had his pic and we put super big brother on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well I'm still early on but we've been following the babies growth on the bump.  Every time we see the kiddos they ask what the baby is this week.  I think our hospital also has a siblings class so we'll probably do that closer to time.  They're very excited!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In all honesty, I haven't had time to get involved in my pregnancy.  I've been swamped at work, finishing up spring semester in grad school (exams Mon and Tue and then I'm DONE! Until summer semester, lol), and planning a shower for SIL. I sometimes go all day and forget that I'm pregnant.

DH talks to the kids in the car on the way home so I'm usually not there but he tells them about the baby and asked if they wanted to see the u/s pictures but they didn't seem very interested.  When they were here for spring break they were picking out baby clothes everywhere, SD1 designed a baby room (she like fashion and interior design stuff), and we let them give the baby it's "baby name" so we can call the baby something other than "it".  They picked Pumpkin since it's coming right at Thanksgiving.  I think in the summer they will be more psyched.  We find out the sex while they are here this summer and my hospital has a sibling class too so if they show an interest they can take it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SaranSaran member

Depends on their age. My SK's are 10 and this is #4 for me so they are over it and just said let us know when he gets here. LOL  I've learned that as they get older, you dont shove it down their throat and let them come to you if they're interested in something concerning the baby.

Now when my sk's were 5 and I was pg with the twins, they came to some u/s's and loved to feel the babies kicking in my belly but that was about it. They couldnt really understand the u/s pics.

• Options

My ss is 15 but special needs and we were really worried how he would deal with the babies and the changes with them.  I actually found the "what size is baby" list on here and i told him how the babies were blueberry sized back a few weeks ago and he LOVED it now every Monday he asks what size are they now.  We printed out the list and hung it on the fridge and he checks himself then asks me anyways!   He asks a lot of questions about what they're doing too. It really worried him that they didn't have ears or eyes in the ultrasound so we looked at some other pictures online and explained development to him a little bit.

I think we'll ask if he wants to go to one of the u/s appointments later on in the pregnancy and I know he's excited to feel them kick and move so we're hoping his excitement continues well after they're born. 

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We took my SDs to the gender ultrasound and they found out with us that they were getting a baby brother.  Also, I had a home birth and my SDs happened to be at home at the time.  They weren't in the room when DS was born but the midwives invited them in after the messy stuff was cleaned up and had each sister weigh her new baby brother.  The midwives actually showed my SDs the placenta and birth sack and explained about them both.  They also had the girls pick out his clothing and hat and help put on his diaper.  It really made them feel special and a part of the whole experience.  That and they heard me yell "get this little f-er out of me" after three hours of pushing with no pain killers.  Lol

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My SS is 7 but very young, immature 7. We mostly want to keep him involved so he doesn't feel threatened or lost. This will be the first other child in our home. Dh wants him to also help paint the nursery and pick out colors but we'll see how it goes
  • Options
    JnA12JnA12 member

Lurker in -

We got my SD (3) a big sister shirt and let her open a present in front of our families that told them what we are having. She also tells the baby goodnight and good morning when she is at our house. We have maternity pictures next weekend and she will be in those with us also. 

• Options

Nothing?  SS is 12.  He has a younger half-sister at home with his mom.  His mom is remarried and SD brought two kids into the house as well.  So he has two sisters and a brother already at his house.

DH and I have one DS, 19mo, and another on the way.  When we told SS we were expecting again, he said, "What?  Another one?  But I already have too many brothers and sisters!"  So I'm not making a big deal of this one.   We didn't make a big deal out of DS coming either.

That all said, I can only hope this new LO loves his/her big brother (SS) just as much as DS does.  Zane ADORES his big brother and has so much fun EOW when SS is here or the times we go see SS at his mom's house.  I know as SS gets older, he won't be as tolerant of his littlest siblings, and that's okay.  There are a lot of years difference in ages, so I expect it. 

Once this LO gets here, we'll make sure SS has special one-on-one time with his dad like we did when Zane got here, but until then... Eh.  He's a 12yo boy and could care less about my pregnancy.  We don't hide anything, of course, and answer questions when he has them.  But for the most part he really doesn't care.

• Options

What PP's said about taking him to the anatomy scan. We also would talk about names and let him throw out suggestions (Watermelon iPhone was one). We also took him on a tour of the birthing center so he could see where his sister would be born in case she decided to come in the middle of the night (she did). 

What I didn't see mentioned that we did was let him pick out one of the coming home outfits. I picked out the newborn size and he picked out the 0-3mo size in case she was on the bigger side. She ended up coming home in the newborn one but when he came to meet his sister I made sure she was in the one he picked out, even though she was practically swimming in it! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

When I was pregnant with my (currently) youngest son, I did a project with my two older kids and my two stepkids making "big brother/big sister" t-shirts. They each drew their own pictures of what they were hoping to teach their new baby brother. It was a fun way to connect with all of the kids, and get them thinking about the fact that the baby was really coming.

This time, the kids are a little older (ages 2, then 8-12), so I'm not quite sure what we'll do this time- who knows, maybe we'll do NEW "big brother/big sister" t shirts.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I brought SD (10) and SS (7) to hear the heartbeat and a few weeks later for an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech gave them each pictures of their little sister and they brought them to school to show their friends. They are helping pick out names and I signed them up for the siblings class at the hospital. They both are overly thrilled over "getting" a new sibling so it's been quite easy for me. I hear on a daily basis how excited they are which makes me really happy. I think the key is to make it all be about the new baby being everyone's, not just DH and/or mine. I tell them every day how great of a big bro/sis they will be when they do things around the house which helps me get stuff done too - little do they know they are really in training to be great little helpers for me and baby which is an added plus! :)
  • Options

My SS (10) and SD (13) were so upset when they found out that their mother let them stay home from school for two days.  My SS is doing a little better now and I think he's actually kind of excited, but my SD won't speak to me and is not the least bit happy.  Things had been going better for a while lately, so it's sad that she is reacting this way.  

Advice? 

• Options
    wwnbwwwnbw member
    We didn't do anything. My DD went to all my appts because we didn't have a sitter. My SS 12 could have cared less and my SS 4 was excited but we didn't do anything special.
  • Options
    We took Emma with us to see an ultrasound, because she was very interested in the pictures we had shown her of the baby. We didn't take the twins because they were going through the terrible twos and I knew they wouldn't have sat still to watch.

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Options
    we took SD (8) to the 1st ultrasound and she said she was bored and hated it... then when we got into the dr part she started mocking the dr and acting like a pure brat cause she was bored of the whole thing.. sooo therefore shes not allowed to go to dr with me anymore my BP was up that appt as well go figure lol... but My DS who is 3 loves it he was talking to the baby on the screen and asking dr cute questions and sat quiet and drew pictures the whole 3hr appt.. so my advice is evaluate how much the child wants to be involved every child is different...my SD is just at an age she wants to do big kid things and babies dont interest her 1 bit...
    image baby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My SD (11)...we didn't do anything but she wants to go pick out a few outfits for her baby sister... i told her that we could do that one weekend.. so she's excited.
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing with my SD 12.  She confided to her mom the other day that she is afraid Dad will love the baby more than her.  I really wish there was some way that I can talk to her about it, but she never wants to.  I've tried getting her involved in baby stuff, but she is not interested at all.  At first I was upset by it, but now Im just kind of disengaging from her for a bit and trying to enjoy my pregnancy.   It makes it even harder that her Dad (my DH) chooses to ignore the situation rather than talk to her about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"