C-sections
Options

Any c/s with boys around 37 weeks?

I've read some research that c/s before 39 weeks may cause baby to have more respiratory issues.  May move up my c/s because of some health issues for me, but I'm concerned for baby :(
loren

Re: Any c/s with boys around 37 weeks?

• Options
    I had my son at 38w and no respiratory issues.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    i had my son at 37w2d because my water broke and he did have to go in the progressive care nursery for his first two days because of respiratory issues. by the evening of the 2nd day he was in my room with me and he hasn't had a single problem since.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my son at 37 weeks exactly via c/s and he spent no time in the NICU and had no respiratory issues at all.  However, I had an amnio several hours before to verify lung maturity as the respiratory issues were the number one concern from my high risk OB about having the c/s then.  I would discuss it with your doctor to have the safest scenario. :)

• Options

It's always a possibility that baby will need some extra help when born a few weeks early... at the very least they'll need to be watched closely. 

Here's a good article about "near-term babies": https://www.todaysparent.com/node/3124?page=0,0 

I will be having my c-section at 37 weeks tomorrow morning in fact, so I'm right there with ya. It's tough to have to make that call, but I'm comforted by the fact that there'll be a medical staff plus me and DH watching out for her... instead of just mea trying to pay attention to her kicks and worrying.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

I believe most doctors would recommend an amnio first unless your health issues are very pressing and the safest thing is delivery.  I had an amnio at 37 weeks and the first part of the test came back indecisive so they sent it on for a longer test which showed favorable lung maturity.  We went ahead with the induction based on the amnio results.  I labored for 24 hours then had a c-section due to failure to progress my labor. 

Not to scare you because I think it was a totally chance occurrence, but my son spent 10 days in NICU due to a pneumothorax (whole in his lung).  7 of those days were on a ventilator with a chest tube in.  He is OK now but those were the scariest days of my life.

Just thought I would share that we are never certain of the outcome but it is best to weigh risks and benefits with your OB/GYN

Tessah mom to: Erika 6/2/2005, natural mc 03/2007, Xavier 12/28/2007, Harper 12/11/2009, blighted ovum D&C 11/2011, BFP 03/30/2012 due 12/05/12 (our 3rd December baby) :) Baby #4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My water broke at 36wks 3 days and I had a csection the next day.  He had no breathing problems at all.

Good Luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!  My dr wants to do amnio around 36/37 weeks to determine lung maturity.  
    loren
  • Options
    I had my daughter via c/s at 37 weeks and she didn't have any problems.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    Had LO at 37.1 and he has been great!!! No respiratory issues. If you have a medical reason to have him early then weigh the pros and cons. IMO no doctor would do it if the cons outweighed the pros. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Had my son at 37 weeks because my water broke and he had no issues.
  • Options
    Thanks for encouragement!  The next 3 weeks will probably be longest of my life!!! 
    loren
  • Options
    Not that early, but I went into labor with DS at 38w4d, several days before my scheduled c/s, and he was born via RCS with no issues.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I had my b/g twins at 37w2d and neither one had any respiratory issues.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options
    Had DS 36w4d (emerg c/s)- no problems at all. 

• Options
    My son was born at 34 weeks 1 day, and has had no respitory issues.. though i did recieve the steroid shots at 24 weeks to help mature his lungs. im sure they will weigh the risks & make the right decisions.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DS1 was born via emergency c-section at 36 weeks.  He was only 4lbs 9oz (small for that gestational age).  He had NO respiratory issues.  He was in the NICU for my entire stay, but that was due to him not being able to control his blood sugar and temp. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagemagdalina.h:
    I had my son at 38w and no respiratory issues.

This! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a c/s with DS at 38 weeks and 1 day b/c he was breech.  He had no issues at all...perfectly healthy, other than being tongue-tied.  I was scheduled at 39 weeks, but I started having contractions about a week earlier, so that is why I had him earlier.   
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    I had my son at 37 weeks via c/s without any respiratory issues.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    had my son 1hr after I rang in the 37th week (he was born at 1:01am).  He's completely healthy and is in the 90th percentile for height and the 86th for weight (he's 2 now)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am a NICU nurse. I am also pregnante with a boy. I think I would do whatever I could to keep him in until 39 weeks (at the very earliest for medical reasons that were uncontrollable, I'd do 38 weeks). If it was a girl, I'd be way more flexible on that.

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Options
    My son was born via c/s at 37 weeks and had no respiratory issues, but every baby is different. He measured ahead the whole time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"