Working Moms
Options

Looking to return to work

Not going to bore you with my long history, but I've mostly been a SAHM since my first was born. I was basically pushed into this role because childcare where we currently live far exceeded my  take-home pay, but we're relocating this summer to an area with reasonable childcare costs and my older one will be starting kindergarten (the town we'll likely go to has full day K and affordable aftercare). While I've actually loved being home we really need a second income, so now that I would be able to afford to work it's time to return to reality.

My background is as a history graduate student and I spent 7 years working in history museums (p/t while in college and f/t after college), but work in that field dried up before the recession really began, so I would be looking at building a new career entirely. I'm open to basically anything I can find in this economy. Have a bachelors in history plus some graduate school (did not finish).

How do I explain a 5 year gap on my resume? Do I come right out in a cover letter and say I have been home due to family commitments or will that leave me out of the running? Any advice on finding a job from a distance in a bad economy?

Thanks so much!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Looking to return to work

• Options

I don't know if this is the "right answer" but I would say "I took some time off work to care for my daughter, but now she has started kindergarten and I'm ready to return to work"and I wouldn't even mention the younger one.

Good luck in your search!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Good luck getting back into the workforce!

One word of caution that I don't know if you have thought of... If the day care costs in your new area are significantly less, I am assuming the cost of living and therefore salaries would be lower as well - not sure if this is the case, but thought I'd mention.

Good luck! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageThe_Jen626:

I don't know if this is the "right answer" but I would say "I took some time off work to care for my daughter, but now she has started kindergarten and I'm ready to return to work"and I wouldn't even mention the younger one.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks! That might be the exact wording for a cover letter! I won't mention the younger one, but  will mention that I took time off to be a SAHM and now my child will be going to kindergarten and hopefully that will open some doors. I interview well, it's just getting in in this market!

Daisy: I'm pretty sure salaries won't be lower. The highest I was offered in our current location (Manhattan) was $30K, so I can't see a college graduate going for lower. In my experience you have to be an experienced professional before there's a huge salary differential based on COL. For starting salaries they're about the same anywhere I've lived (granted that's a limited area), you just can live more comfortably on the standard salary (in Manhattan you'll need several roommates at that number, other places you can get your own studio). We're only moving an hour away (to Central NJ), but daycare costs  here are double where we're going. Salaries are just about on par from what I've seen and heard. Thanks for the tip though!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hi, there!  I agree keep it short, honest, sweet.  I wouldn't even necessarily go into the details of a child in kindergarten, etc....because the employer may assume you'll still need to tend to a young child often (God forbid! Excuse sarcasm).  You could just state you took time off to care for family and now you are very excited to return to work. 

In terms of switching careers, I'll admit I'm not too good a resource, but I wanted to wish you luck, and also welcome you back (?) to Central Jersey (you've responded to my posts a number of times in the past and I think you lived not far from where I am--is that right?--I'm in Shrewsbury). 

Separately, if you want any info on childcare centers, send me a message--both of my kids are in childcare and I visited pretty much every place between Long Branch and Aberdeen/Hazlet....

• Options
    imagesemdkm:

Hi, there!  I agree keep it short, honest, sweet.  I wouldn't even necessarily go into the details of a child in kindergarten, etc....because the employer may assume you'll still need to tend to a young child often (God forbid! Excuse sarcasm).  You could just state you took time off to care for family and now you are very excited to return to work. 

In terms of switching careers, I'll admit I'm not too good a resource, but I wanted to wish you luck, and also welcome you back (?) to Central Jersey (you've responded to my posts a number of times in the past and I think you lived not far from where I am--is that right?--I'm in Shrewsbury). 

Separately, if you want any info on childcare centers, send me a message--both of my kids are in childcare and I visited pretty much every place between Long Branch and Aberdeen/Hazlet....

Yes, I'm from Little Silver! We will be returning to NJ (yay!) although it's looking like either New Brunswick area or Cherry Hill area (we were hoping for Shrewsbury/LS actually, for many reasons, but there are no prospects near there for him). We'll go near wherever DH gets a job and I'll start looking once we know what he's taking for sure (there are a few offers on the table).

I will definitely keep it short and simple and just mention that family concerns kept me out of the work force but I'm now excited to return. It's tough because if you explain having kids that could be negative (especially since, as you said above, schools are closed or half day so frequently!) but a 5 year absence without kids also looks terrible!

• Options

Yes, I imagine it's tough either way--some might be parents who work outside the home and be totally understanding, others might suck--you can't win.  But then, if they aren't going to respect your background and needs (caring for children being an important one!) then you probably don't want to work for them anyway....   Sorry to hear I won't have a "nestie" neighbor :)---but good luck to you, and keep us posted! 

• Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice! And I agree, I won't return to working unless it's a company that respects the fact that I have a family. I'm sorry we won't be in your area as well. We were really hoping to (my mom and my ILs are all still in LS and we love that area) so it's disappointing not to be returning! I was going to look you up too, it seems like we often have similar feelings on things from other posts I've seen!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"